Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2016 04:05:35(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I am looking at buying an HO ICE 3 in DB livery hopefully with sound. However, I may have missed a golden opportunity before Christmas when Euro Model Trains was selling the Fleischmann version 398073 for just over $320. Likewise MBSL had it listed for slightly more at around 350 Euros. Now most sites that are still selling this unit are charging around $700 or 690 Euros. Is this a new release or was that an exceptional deal that I missed?

What other options are there for an ICE 3?

Marklin had the 37788 type which appears to no longer be available except used on eBay. Piko has a well priced version 57305, but it does not appear to come with sound. I am also puzzled by the Piko description which states it has a Motorola/DCC decoder but no digital interface. What does that mean?

Have I missed any?

Does anyone have any experience with the Piko version?

Cheers
Peter
Offline Roland  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2016 04:35:33(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I'm in the same boat. I was considering the 37788 but decided to hold off in hopes Marklin will release a newer one in the next year or two. That is really your only option but it can be difficult to find as it is 3-4 years old now.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2016 08:24:42(UTC)
H0

Hi, Peter!
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Piko version?
I don't have the Piko ICE. Early Piko three-rail locos did not have a decoder socket, but since about a decade they all do.
So if you want sound you just plug the new decoder in and then you have to find a place for the speaker. Soldering may be required for the speaker cables.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2016 16:49:18(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Tom

Do you wish to comment on what is meant on the MBSL site by describing the decoder installed and then the comment "Digital Interface - Nein"? Does that mean that there is nothing controllable such as lights, etc. or something else?

Peter
Offline dennisb  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2016 09:30:33(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi!

I was looking for the same thing a year ago or so. I'm sure the 37788 is a great model. I ended up buying the 37786 (mostly to have a reason to run a TGV as well at a later stage) as I found a new one for a great price. I then had my local dealer to exchange the decoder for a msd sound decoder. I'm very pleased with the train, it runs smooth and now also it sounds good.

Just as Roland writes, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes a new model next year or so.

Dennis