Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PhillipL  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2016 12:38:58(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I am considering ordering the 2016 release of the BR 216. Can anyone tell if this locomotive is reliable or if there are any known problems? I know it is not the most detailed but its price fits my hobby budget.

Thanks
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2016 12:55:28(UTC)
H0

Hi, Phillip,

This loco was around for decades. Most likely it will have the maintenance-friendly c90 motor. The motor can be a bit noisy, but spare parts should be available for decades to come.

Many digital BR 216 have come in various starter sets - a second hand unit from eBay may be even cheaper.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2016 12:55:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Phillip,

I believe this is another release of the classic Br216 model that Marklin has made since the 1970s. It uses the reliable old DCM motor which will go on forever as long as you occasionally change the brushes and be careful not to over-lubricate.

I have one of these for about 25 years and, apart from converting it to digital, haven't needed to do anything to keep it going.

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2016 14:23:13(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I too have a 3674 that must be twenty years old and is one of the work horses of my collection. Last summer I bought from E bay from a well known Dutchman a red BR216 digital ripped from a start set so new but unboxed for £62.00. Adjustable (on the loco) max speed, ABV and volume and function for direction lights, two toots and abv off. She is as quiet as anything I know and runs very smoothly so is happy on the shunting frame or on the "rund und rund fahrt". I have a high frequency deafness and currently a 6021 limited to five functions so I would rather have four of these than something more sophisticated!
Offline PhillipL  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2016 16:37:45(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Thanks for the info! This locomotive sounds exactly like what I am looking for!