Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2016 02:46:39(UTC)
db ice3

i have an "old timer" E52 loco which came as part of a train pack with 3 carriages.
after some cleaning and oiling the bearings, motor and axles ( and the axles of the carriages ) it ran much smoother and quiter although quite growly.

however i cant get the headlights to turn on - both using the programming track or the regular track - iv got no success in activating the headlight function.
this loco has the dip switch decoder and the very old fashioned looking motor.

im using cs2 which iv updated to the latest version 4.1
the headlights do work - they flicker on and off when the cs2 is reading the decoder so i know the bulbs are okies.

id be most grateful for any tips / help!.

sometimes i wish i only had a simple controller which just had speed, direction and headlamps on / off only lol
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2016 03:35:20(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Did you move the decoder?

If so, maybe you replaced it 180 degrees off. Try moving it 180 degrees and see what happens.

Someone on the Italian forum had a somewhat similar problem and someone else suggested this solution: it worked.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2016 08:16:42(UTC)
H0

Ref. numbers will help.
Are there four or eight DIP switches?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline db ice3  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2016 18:56:29(UTC)
db ice3

hey Baggio and Ho

many thanks for replying...

the model is 2660 and it has 8 dip switches.

this evening something ( dont ask me what! lol ) but i was thinking about the Older style of controllers which were around when this set came out and i " think " they only had 4 functions. the function f0 came to mind and i noticed that my cs2 i was using the 2nd button down and had it assigned with a headlamp symbol.

so i cancelled f1 from the screen and made f0 with the same headlamp symbol and hey presto - headlamps now can be turned on and off.

so is this something peculiar to the older dip switch decoders and cs2 combination - that headlamps can only be switched on and off by the very top function button?
im just happy i can turn the headlamps on now!.

also, as an aside, the headlamps do have a flicker to them - they are a nice warm traditional bulb and color - but why do they have a flicker - or is it a representation of the real ones? ( or is it just the old decoder and ac power? )

1 more thing, can i upgrade the decoder in this loco - seems plenty room for a speaker in there, but also for a smoother performance as the loco does seem to lurch occasionaly - esp when im increasing or decreasing the speed.

many thanks for helping this newbie out - i dont know how folks got help before the internet!
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2016 19:13:53(UTC)
H0

The vast majority of Märklin locos use the top-most button (F0) for headlights. It is the only function supported by such old decoders. Those decoders have neither load regulation nor acceleration and braking delay.

Selecting 2660 from the database should create a loco with correct function symbols and a more or less accurate loco name.

Replacing the old AC/DC motor with a DC motor and installing a new decoder is possible. There is a spring inside the loco that presses the powered truck to the rails. This spring may require special treatment.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline db ice3  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2016 12:19:27(UTC)
db ice3

thankyou Ho for your help with this...

its much appreciated by this newbie!
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2016 12:30:05(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Just a quick reminder if you do wish to upgrade the motor in this loco IIRC the standard magnet that comes with the new motor upgrade kit will not fit and you will need a special magnet.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.