Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2016 19:22:00(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I still see "like new" Marklin items on Ebay etc. from the latter 1990's and early 2000's for sale. Some of it the MHI items, Museum Cars and other so called "limited production" etc.

Makes me wonder that if you're looking for any items in this time span that most likely sooner than later you'll find it and at a reasonable price.

Any set that would really be classified as truly RARE? If you know of any please list them here.

Chuck
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2016 21:03:21(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Chuck,

Well, looks like you're touching upon a though subject. Only few of the recent Märklin items are really rare, depending on how you would define it. Items which I would define (for practical purposes) as recent rare items, would be produced after the mid 1990's and in MINT condition sell at the RRP or above. Bear in mind that items typically sell at prices just below the RRP, once sold new from shops. By taking the RRP, I would explicitly exclude very special items produced for individual shops, small batches for Business2Business sales and thus only include items that could be bought through at least a larger number of dealers in one or more countries. In that case, from the top of my mind I can list a few:

- 39021 (Blue Baden IVh steamer)
- 37343 (RE 4/4 II TEE)
- 48706 (1Fc. Märklin Kryptonite car)
- 37838 (BR 50, Christmas edition)
- Trix 24221 (does that count?) - (Bavarian Tank Car for 15 years+ members of the Trix club)

Some of the early weathered (or snow covered) locos as well as the early Bar car (4998) fetch high prices as well, if ever offered.

I am sure there are many more matching the definition above, however, it is also quite true that most articles sold as one time limited items are certainly limited in number, but not scarce per se. Additionally, as there are many people collecting, rather than running their models, even scarce ones are occasionally offered as new on fairs, eBay or elsewhere. In fact, I myself have a fairly rare loco listed currently, only 360 have been produced, in spite of that, it doesn't match the definition above as it comes cheaper than the RRP. Anyway, I would strongly advise against buying any Märklin for financial gain. Buy what you like, and if you are after a profit, seek elsewhere...

Hope this helps,
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2016 22:21:53(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Hi Sander,

The reason I posted the question is that sometimes I see an older item referred in a post etc and am interested in obtaining one. When I do a search on the net etc., I usually find several and they are usually priced less that they were when originally released, even at discounted prices.

Interesting, that two of the items you listed I luckily have. The kryponite car I purchased on ebay from a seller in the Netherlands. I may have paid the going rate at the time because this car was not available in the USA where I'm located. And the Baden blue loco which I recently won in an auction on ebay for under 400 euros including shipping from Germany. Both were in new/unused condition.

I agree with you that I would never buy any toy train, Marklin or otherwise as a financial investment. I only buy what I like and am not afraid to use it.

Chuck
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2016 22:34:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I still see "like new" Marklin items on Ebay etc. from the latter 1990's and early 2000's for sale. Some of it the MHI items, Museum Cars and other so called "limited production" etc.

Makes me wonder that if you're looking for any items in this time span that most likely sooner than later you'll find it and at a reasonable price.

Any set that would really be classified as truly RARE? If you know of any please list them here.

Chuck

See this link for an item that could be considered rare. One of 333 made, and once distributed were selling for 3-4 times the original purchase price. I don't know what th egoing rate is now, and don't currently have access to a 2016 kolls to see what he says it is worth.

There are other models that have limited production quantities, sometimes round numbers like 999 or 5000, sometimes other funny numbers.

Offline Nigel Packer  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2016 23:21:33(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

See this link for an item that could be considered rare. One of 333 made, and once distributed were selling for 3-4 times the original purchase price. I don't know what th egoing rate is now, and don't currently have access to a 2016 kolls to see what he says it is worth.

Koll's 2016 says 299.95.

Are there any of these likely to change hands for that price? I don't know!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2016 23:27:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Koll's 2016 says 299.95.

Are there any of these likely to change hands for that price? I don't know!

Nigel

That was the retail price, they were going for 1000-1300 euro just after they were released. Probably unrealistic to hit the top end now, but I would have thought it would be more than retail. I don't think he has updated that since 2015, which also showed the retail price.

Thanks for looking it up Nigel.
Offline mrmarklin  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2016 23:56:05(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Chuck

Define "rare".

IMO not only does the item have to be very limited, in like new, or if older, in excellent condition, but ALSO desireable to collectors.

Very limited is probably low hundreds of units in production.

Desireable is very subjective. It is very hard to determine this until after one has either passed on the item, or been lucky enough to have a copy!Cursing

Condition is paramount as well, including the original box and all documentation, unless a very old item.

Luckily in the Marklin HO world there are very few items that top 4 digits in value.

Limited production largely means that production is only limited by the amount of units Marklin thinks it can sell! If an item is extremely popular, the factory will do another production run, based on feedback from dealers! The exception to this is numbered items. MHI items are limited to the number of dealer firm orders received, but many dealers are over optimistic.

For example the King Ludwig set was an item that was supposedly subscription only. So one would think that everyone who ordered and paid for it got the set and no more would be available............But not so! I know of a place that has 67 of these sets laying around since the late 80s.Confused
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2016 00:05:00(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Chuck,

I look for the MAXI - car 95014 (Transport de Poissons) since years.

Regards

Markus
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2016 05:55:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've given up a long time ago on rare, limited or any other than desirable locos or rolling stock, 99% of new Märklin locos are out of question (to expensive) I'm still in the running for locos I like to have but not have to have. I'm still waiting for CS 4 with automatic voice recognition and 50 sound slot and Aux functions, this way it keeps my mind occupied for another 20 years to work it all out.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2016 10:46:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Some items are rarer than others. The 3422 Br194 in blue and cream, for example, can be quite hard to find at a good price.

Some of the special wagons can be quite rare too. Some of the early museum wagons can set you back several hundred euros.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2016 11:58:57(UTC)
H0

The price is the result of supply and demand. Some models achieve higher prices than the RRP - at least sometimes.

One example is the 43850 coach for the 1962 Rheingold and the corresponding Trix version. I saw many used ones going for more than the RRP before I finally got one new from dealer and 10% below RRP.
It seems many people bought one each of the four coaches - and later decided to get another 43850 to extend the train.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 20 January 2016 12:52:27(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Some items are rarer than others. The 3422 Br194 in blue and cream, for example, can be quite hard to find at a good price.

Some of the special wagons can be quite rare too. Some of the early museum wagons can set you back several hundred euros.

I agree, but the Museum wagons from the mid 90's on are still not hard to find and at reasonable prices. Remember I talking about the mid 90's until the present.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2016 13:00:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I agree, but the Museum wagons from the mid 90's on are still not hard to find and at reasonable prices. Remember I talking about the mid 90's until the present.

Chuck

Yes, you're right Chuck. I'm thinking of the ones from the late 1980s.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#14 Posted : 20 January 2016 13:08:32(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   

Chuck

Yes, you're right Chuck. I'm thinking of the ones from the late 1980s.

Yea Ray, those first few years can be rather pricey. OhMyGod

Chuck