Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2016 11:34:16(UTC)
Goofy

I did read that Windows 10 do have full of the security holes and Windows 11 present.
Will this cause problems for the Märklin,when the customer who has CSx will get the problems by upgrade program?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2016 11:54:38(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Oh, god help us !
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2016 11:58:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Oh, god help us !

What can I help you with son LOL

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline sjlauritsen  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2016 12:05:03(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I did read that Windows 10 do have full of the security holes and Windows 11 present.
Will this cause problems for the Märklin,when the customer who has CSx will get the problems by upgrade program?

This does not make any sense. There is no such thing as a Windows 11 and there will not be for years to come. Windows 10 is delivered as a service, meaning that it will be upgraded through a continuous stream of updates. Just like OS X and most other operating systems today. Some areas of Sweden would classify these systems as "incomplete systems, made by fools". wink

Current version of Windows 10 is 1511 (November 2015). The next major update will be around June 2016 (code name Redstone), but it will be an update and not an upgrade. Currently, until June 2016, every user of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I encourage everyone who qualifies to do so, because earlier versions of Windows will not be supported forever and will stop getting security patches. If you are on an earlier version of Windows, Windows 10 will be a fresh breath of air.

With regards to security flaws, there is nothing really that indicate that Windows 10 should be more vulnerable than previous versions or other OS'es for that matter. Most operating systems are very secure, which is also why most malware now goes after the user and not the OS itself. It is easier to have some "next, next, clicker"-user install your malware for you, than trying to find a security hole in the OS today. Much easier...

Reports from 2014 indicate that OS X is currently the most flawed operating system. These reports are always controversial and prone to spawn debates of hateful character. So I am not going into that. But search "Most vulnerable OS 2015" on Google and decide for yourself.

With regards to the CSx, since it does not care about operating systems other than its own, nothing of the above would have any say the ability to update it.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2016 12:41:54(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hello Søren,
I have long stopped taking postings of that Disney troll serious.Mad
And I think you're absolutely right about Windows 10. ThumpUp

There is only one thing, Windows 10 is terrible for the battery life of our laptops, it's far from the same as on Windows 8.1.
I have an asus laptop that could run for 9 hours on Win 8.1.,but the day I switch to win 10 this was reduced to max 5 hours.
All 4 laptops in our household have this Win 10 battery issues ... Asus, HP, Acer ... and all 4 have issues too with coming out of the sleeping mode (despite all the updates and action that we took).
Our desktops are doing fine on Win 10, but there are days that I want to return to Win 8.1 on our laptops.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2016 14:43:17(UTC)
Goofy

There´s a reason about Windows 11.
Windows is an OS(operative system) and not an program.
You can already download or buy an CD Windows 11.
In fact did massmedia present Windows 10 do have bad security risk.
That´s way i did asked if Märklin do use the same OS?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2016 14:49:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Link ??? You need to provide some justification for this statement.

In fact did massmedia present Windows 10 do have bad security risk.
That´s way i did asked if Märklin do use the same OS?

I suspect you have been reading magazines that have a bunch of guys who don't know what they are talking about while claiming to be professionals in the field.
Offline shunter  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2016 15:04:16(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
Think there is some misunderstanding re programs and version nbrs
There is Windows 10 - operating system
and there is Windows explorer 11 , browser

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shunter
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2016 15:28:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: shunter Go to Quoted Post
Think there is some misunderstanding re programs and version nbrs
There is Windows 10 - operating system
and there is Windows explorer 11 , browser

Yeah, that too. I'm not surprised about the confusion in his mind when he doesn't seem to be able to appreciate that an operating system is a series of programs.

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2016 19:36:27(UTC)
H0

Microsoft no longer provide security updates for Internet Explorer 10.
They still provide security updates for IE 11 and IE 9. Users should get the latest IE version supported by their operating system.

There is no Windows 11.

There shouldn't be any problems for Märklin when Windows users switch to the latest Internet Explorer versions.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 17 January 2016 04:02:24(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
My two cents' worth:

No personal attacks, please.

Attacking others is not allowed by the rules of the forum and demeans the forum.

If someone is wrong:

1. Be sure that such is the case;
2. Explain what the facts are; and
3. Never make that person lose face.

Thank you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline NZMarklinist  
#12 Posted : 17 January 2016 04:05:57(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
My Computer is running Windows 10 very well, and yes it is a breath of fresh air after XP and Windows 8 I can only fully endorse upgrading to it ThumpUp

It comes with tutorials and manuals but it is as intuitive as things I've found before. So far I haven't read any tutorials or manuals Wink

The key is to fully explore the menu icons at top right of the browser. The add to favourites "star", the three lines which are where your favourites are, and the three dots, to the extreme right, which is where most functions and setting menus are, are the ones I most use. I miss the right click for printing or saving tho ThumbDown not that it is necessary to print much these days Mellow

My biggest peeve is that, perhaps because I need to read a manual, when you open a new tab you always get MSN news which can be disabled, but, I can't readily work out how to set my preferred "home" page.

These things don't show on Google Chrome which happily functions on it's own, as before, and menus such as print are still accessed with a right click Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 17 January 2016 04:11:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Link ??? You need to provide some justification for this statement.

There is no justification, Goofy is talking a complete load of rubbish. Microsoft have said more times than I care to remember that Windows 10 will be the last Windows operating system. As Søren points out future upgrades and updates will be provided via Windows Update.

Maybe Goofy is confusing himself between Windows 11 (doesn't exist) and Internet Explorer 11 (which is the last version of IE).

I have Windows 10 running on my work PC - it seems OK, but every now and then the taskbar hangs and I can't maximise any minimised programs or close any programs. The clock in the system tray also freezes. This usually happens after the desktop has been locked a ten or so dozen times, so it happens every 4 or 5 days. Rebooting is the only fix.

I don't think there is much justification to keeping this thread running, so I'm locking it
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2016 04:16:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I may stick with Windows seven, tried to download the free version of Windows 10 and it failed every time, an error message appears but I had no luck, even by following the instructions to be able to download it.

there are so many options why you can't download it and every time you try a different option it takes up to 4-6 hours to get through the whole lot only to find out your download has failed again at the end. so there could be some benefit to get Windows 11 (lol)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode