Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline amunro  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2015 12:19:02(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
Hello.
I have a second hand Marklin 3460 SBB Class 460 electric loco with an old 6080 decoder. It runs very jerkily and poorly. Can I change the decoder for a more up-to-date model and if so which one?
TIA

PS A happy Christmas to you all.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2015 12:40:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: amunro Go to Quoted Post
Hello.
I have a second hand Marklin 3460 SBB Class 460 electric loco with an old 6080 decoder. It runs very jerkily and poorly. Can I change the decoder for a more up-to-date model and if so which one?
TIA

PS A happy Christmas to you all.

It can certainly be upgraded. Does it really have a 6080 decoder (with 8 dip switches)? As it is a 34xx series model it will have originally come with a Delta decoder which has 4 dip switches or an area where solder blobs are used as 'switches' to set the address.

Either way you will need to replace the motor coil unit with a permanent magnet, and the rotor with a 5 pole rotor.

However before doing this you will need to do some maintenance on the motor and gear train to improve the jerky performance, otherwise you will not get any better performance with a new decoder. I suspect you need to (lightly) oil the gear train and motor bearings, possibly replace the brushes, but I think you will also need to clean the motor commutator.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline witzlerh  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2015 16:29:15(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Totally agree. Make sure that the mechanical is running fine. I can understand jerkiness at very low speed with the 3 pole motor but if jerkiness occurs at medium to high speed, then you most likely have a mechanical issue or an analogue motor (windings, brushes, commutator drum or plate) issues.

Do take the time to do a mechanical inspection. Clean up as much as you can and see if there is an improvement. The time spent doing this is not wasted as you will have to do most of it anyways when getting a new decoder.

I pumped $ for 4 decoders in older loks and they are no longer my favorite (they were my grandpa's) because of mechanical issues. I do want to address this in the future but it is low priority now....but could have gotten a new lok for the price of the 4 decoders.....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline amunro  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2015 17:23:52(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
Thanks I will have a good look at it. The decoder was added in 1994 according to the warranty. It has the dip switches and two pots for acceleration delay and braking delay.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2015 17:32:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
It has the dip switches and two pots for acceleration delay and braking delay.
Then it is a 6090 decoder - a decoder with load regulation and the loco should perform pretty well with it.
One more reason to inspect the loco carefully as the modern Märklin decoders do not run locos smoother than the 6090.

Hardened oil, filled collector gaps, dirty wheels, adjustment problem with centre rail slider, dirty rails, rusty centre rail, ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline amunro  
#6 Posted : 25 December 2015 19:40:58(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
Oops sorry it does not have the pots, only the 8dip switches. It is definitely the 6080 as it says it on the warranty Certificate.
I have taken it apart and given it a good clean. The commutator looks a bit worn but it now runs very much better. Thanks for your help.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 25 December 2015 20:06:06(UTC)
H0

Upgrading from 6080 with AC/DC motor to a new decoder with DC motor will make a big difference. New motor, but the gear stays and therefore the loco should run good with the old motor.

Motor 60942 plus a suitable decoder.

Which controller do you use? When I convert Re 460s with four light bulbs, I connect them to LF, LR, AUX1 and AUX2 respectively and use function mapping for the light functions.

Will you do the soldering yourself?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline amunro  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2015 20:41:38(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
I will have a think about that. I am using the Z21 Controller from Roco which is really good although I also have the Marklin 606563 mobile station. I would do the soldering myself but might need a bit of guidance as to which decoder to use.

Would a 60670 Motor/decoder be OK?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2015 21:51:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Oops sorry it does not have the pots, only the 8dip switches. It is definitely the 6080 as it says it on the warranty Certificate.
I have taken it apart and given it a good clean. The commutator looks a bit worn but it now runs very much better. Thanks for your help.

Is the warranty from Modellbahn in Towcester?

If so then this loco is probably one that has been sold by its previous owner through the auctions at Warwick and Warwick over the last 18 months, and my guess is you purchased it from an ebay seller called antiquetoys1, who bought large amounts of the Marklin stock that went through that auction house.

If this is so, then the loco has probably not been operational for a very long time, and the oil will have dried out, and the mechanics will definitely need servicing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 3rail4life  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2015 06:33:36(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   

The 60760 is definitely better than the 6080 and good upgrade over what you have now, the 60941 motor with 60942 decoder a lot better.

Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 26 December 2015 07:43:12(UTC)
H0

That's the same motor as in 60941, but with a low-cost decoder.
I bought some of those before the 60941 set was available. It is OK, but the decoder is very basic: MM protocol only, 14 speed steps only

With a prototype speed of 220 km/h, that will make about 15 km/h per speed step. Better decoders will also support 27 or 28 speed steps or even 126, allowing finer changes of speed.

The 60942 is easier to install in my experience. You have a decoder board you can fix with a screw where the old decoder was mounted. Then you cut wires to the needed lengths, solder them in. Finally you plug the decoder in.
If you want sound at a later time, replacing the decoder is just plug'n'play.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline amunro  
#12 Posted : 26 December 2015 11:46:08(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Is the warranty from Modellbahn in Towcester?

If so then this loco is probably one that has been sold by its previous owner through the auctions at Warwick and Warwick over the last 18 months, and my guess is you purchased it from an ebay seller called antiquetoys1, who bought large amounts of the Marklin stock that went through that auction house.

If this is so, then the loco has probably not been operational for a very long time, and the oil will have dried out, and the mechanics will definitely need servicing.

Yes you are absolutely correct. I have given it a good clean and it does go better. I think I'll go for the 64091/64092 upgrade.
Offline amunro  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2016 12:10:30(UTC)
amunro

United Kingdom   
Hello all and A Happy New Year.
I have successfully installed the 64091/64092 and the loco now runs beautifully.
However the wiring of the decoder in the annul is as usual petty useless.
I am struggling with how to wire the running lights. The manual gives front and rear colour wires but there is no explanation of how to wire it. Can anyone please give me an idea of what wires to use and where do they go!
There are more wires on the decoder than in the instruction manual.
TIA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amunro
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 14 January 2016 13:12:23(UTC)
H0

Hi!
The manual gives front and rear colour wires but there is no explanation of how to wire it.
Yellow and orange for one side, grey and orange for the other side.
If your lamps have only a single wire, do not use the orange wire (but lights will flicker when wired this way).

I would use AUX1 and AUX2 respectively for the light bulbs for the lower right lamp (watched from outside) and then use function mapping to activate them as needed.

There is a PCB in the loco that makes the Swiss 3+1 lights change-over with just two function outputs. I simply bypassed this in my conversion.
Using four function outputs allows to have 3+0, 3+3, 1+1, 0+1 besides the standard 3+1 configuration.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage