Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2015 23:59:25(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi All,

I've been off line for a while pondering my next move in my ever evolving layout but am now ready to get back into it. I bought a number of the new 76491 MFX light signals back in May. As the new update to the Central Station was not released I did not install them. Eventually the new software update came and I downloaded but in typical form no manual was produced to explain the new features and in particular how to use the new signals. Now I see that there is a new manual but it is only in German.
Is anyone aware if there is a new English version of the manual with the instructions for the use of the new MFX signal?

cheers

Paul
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2015 08:15:03(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul!
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Now I see that there is a new manual but it is only in German.
Don't expect miracles, we are talking about Märklin.
The "new" German manual is current as of July 2014. I think the screenshots were taken with version 3.6.x and new features of later versions are not covered in this manual.

With respect to new signals you have to rely on the manuals that come with the signals - and the reviews and support on this forum.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2015 09:25:57(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Paul!
Now I see that there is a new manual but it is only in German.
Don't expect miracles, we are talking about Märklin.
The "new" German manual is current as of July 2014. I think the screenshots were taken with version 3.6.x and new features of later versions are not covered in this manual.

With respect to new signals you have to rely on the manuals that come with the signals - and the reviews and support on this forum.

I would say same thing about the new digital book!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Cyborg  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2015 10:07:27(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks Tom. I guess I'll have to go with the forum for advice/help as the instructions make no mention of the MFX functionality other than telling you it is unavailable till the Q4 CS update. It's the only thing I don't like about Marklin, their poor instruction manuals.

Regards

Paul
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2015 10:25:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The book is not available yet. I do hope it is not already outdated when it ships.
And "outdated" most likely means that some new features are not covered, but the features described in the book should still work.

[...] as the instructions make no mention of the MFX functionality other than telling you it is unavailable till the Q4 CS update.
The manual indicates that mfx support would come in the second quarter 2015.
It did come in the third quarter 2015, so if your CS2 is up-to-date you can use the mfx functionality.

See Peter's post:
https://www.marklin-user...ignals--Manual-available
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2015 11:35:04(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

Is anyone aware if there is a new English version of the manual with the instructions for the use of the new MFX signal?

The note in the box with the signals says there was to be an update to the manual when CS2 V4 and mfx support was enabled.

In September I got a reply from Marklin Service to expect it by end of October
Following up in early November the response was a far more subdued list of 5 bullet points in an email form (useless!) and no mention of a pending manual.

I can only speculate that there are a few other constellations needing alignment.
- why is the 72760 so much later than the base signal (GA extended to this month but no sight yet)
- what is the extra screen in the mFX signal configuration area for!
- Why do the tracks on the circuit board look like they sniff the dead section (i.e. the relay is more than just on/off)
These may all be waiting on a new version update for the CS2 which is needed anyway to fix the unreliable detection of the signals (and new mfx loco detection introduced with v4)
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2015 02:09:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The book is not available yet. I do hope it is not already outdated when it ships.
And "outdated" most likely means that some new features are not covered, but the features described in the book should still work.

If the catalog pages 426-428 are anything to go by, not only will it be out of date, it will also be confusing and erroneous

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2015 08:33:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
If the catalog pages 426-428 are anything to go by, not only will it be out of date, it will also be confusing and erroneous
We can still hope for the best. But you are right: it might be a typical Märklin product. LOL

The concept of avoiding competent proof readers and only using translators without MRR background often leads to funny tidbits.

200 pages in a "Getting started" manual promise "an extensive description of the Märklin Digital system". Wot? "Getting started" or "extensive description"? Or both? The current CS2 manual already has 92 pages and does not cover the features that came with versions 3.7 and later.

Is the author still writing? Is the book already in production and, if so, which is the latest CS2 version that is covered in the book? We'll find out, sooner or later.
As the book has German text only it will be of little interest for many users here anyway.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cyborg  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2015 10:07:53(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi again,

I got in contact with Marklin to see if they could help me with setting up the signals with my Central Station and actually got a reply which has not been the case in the past:

Dear Paul,

in the first step you have to decide, which address and which digital system you like to use for this signal. Then you have to put the right position for the 10 switches of the address switches at the signal for this decision. For example: You choice the address 9 and the DCC format for your signal, then you have to put the switches 1, 4 an 10 (0) to position on.

In the next step please open the 1st keyboard and change there into the configuration mode. Then push the mfx-button. The CS will find the new one and install it if possible. If not, it will offer some alternatives, which you can decide.

Sincerely yours,

Your Maerklin Customer Service
Frank Mayer

Gebr. Maerklin & Cie. GmbH
Customer Service
P.O. Box 960
D-73009 Goeppingen
Phone: +49 7161 608222
Fax: +49 7161 608225
E-mail: Service@maerklin.de

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cyborg