Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2015 11:28:25(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Now I've seen everything - Marklin set at Aldi in Australia

https://www.aldi.com.au/...;pk_kwd=2015-11-12_18-03
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2015 12:40:08(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Here in Holland Aldi sells Marklin sets and Faller kits in November and December for many years too.
Last year there were a lot of not sold Marklin and Faller sets left and they were offered with a huge discount in January.
See here: https://www.marklin-user...et-in-Holland#post479701

Marco
Offline Dimi194  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2015 05:19:28(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Now I've seen everything - Marklin set at Aldi in Australia

https://www.aldi.com.au/...;pk_kwd=2015-11-12_18-03

OMG this is crazy! I'm actually really tempted to get one :P

Though kinda hoping they have a steam train variety, as I have a thing for these cheap little tank engines...
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2015 05:44:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Aldi have over 300 stores in Australia.

My personal view is that the Aldi catalogue should have:
1. Boldly promoted the Marklin logo in red.
2. Mentioned a brief company history (give credibility to the product), because most Australians know nothing about Marklin.
3. Differentiated the offering, because you can buy train sets as cheap as $40 elsewhere.

Note that the advert says MFX. I have my doubts that is correct, but I could be wrong.
UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2015 06:42:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I like to know how they are going to work out the 3 year warranty ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2015 07:28:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I like to know how they are going to work out the 3 year warranty ?

John

Hi John,
Noel (Nathans Trains) the distributor for Marklin in Australia, had a courtesy call from Aldi.
They want him to look after support and warranty. and he is fine with that.
He will be looked after.
Aldi have a good reputation when it comes to keeping in faith with suppliers in Australia.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2015 08:56:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that this is a good idea. Unfortunately, it should have happened when the Aussie Dollar was stronger. When they want to upgrade the little set, people will be shocked at the price difference between this cheap little set and the other stuff.. Time will tell.

BTW.. Is that a Banana Wagon at the end of the train BigGrin ??
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2015 09:43:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Is the loco a DHG700? It looks a bit short.

I wonder why they saw fit to leave the glazing out and yet go to the expense of an mfx decoder which is hardly necessary in a simple one-loco train set?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2015 10:06:39(UTC)
H0

Most likely the new two-axle loco - I think it is a DHG 300.

Maybe this is a way to get rid of old mfx decoders, now that new mfx decoders are around.
IIRC there once was an ALDI set in Germany which they used to get rid of old decoders from their sparepart department - single ref. number for the set, but many different decoders.

And the controller probably does not support mfx.

Edited by user 13 November 2015 21:24:31(UTC)  | Reason: Errare humanum est.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2015 10:58:37(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Look at the tank wagon. Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline scarfo  
#11 Posted : 13 November 2015 11:45:31(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Hi - very interesting this, I also like the smaller engines and assume from the picture in aldi's brochure that the engine is an O-4-0?
Whoever posed the set for the photoshot should be just that - "shot". Look closely - every wagon is off the rails - you would have thought someone would have noticed wouldn't you?
Charles
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scarfo
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 13 November 2015 12:32:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: scarfo Go to Quoted Post
Hi - very interesting this, I also like the smaller engines and assume from the picture in aldi's brochure that the engine is an O-4-0?
Whoever posed the set for the photoshot should be just that - "shot". Look closely - every wagon is off the rails - you would have thought someone would have noticed wouldn't you?
Charles

Well, they don't roll away when they are like that, and when the loco pulls them they make nice clunk-clunk noises that amuse the kids. It's too silent otherwise LOL LOL LOL

But, hey, that set comes with a building, the one I bought from Aldi in Germany didn't ... Angry

Offline waorb  
#13 Posted : 13 November 2015 13:19:33(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello

Another thought... that starter-set isn't anywhere... even on Märklin website, google, online shopping...

The number on the box usually is reserved for gauge '1' instead of H0... (51430)...

Well, some special run/bundle from Aldi.au ?
The box advertises a 'supermarket freight digital starter set'... good excuse for Aldi. Cool

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2015 14:24:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
The number on the box usually is reserved for gauge '1' instead of H0... (51430)...
The number on the box looks like an ALDI number (yellow oval).
Items that Märklin make for ALDI, Conrad, Herpa, Eurotrain, ... normally do not appear on Märklin's web site.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MikeK  
#15 Posted : 15 November 2015 06:54:43(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
What is a reflex coupler? I only know of relex and telex... or is it my memory that plays tricks on me?

^__^
Mike
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 15 November 2015 07:08:23(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MikeK Go to Quoted Post
What is a reflex coupler? I only know of relex and telex... or is it my memory that plays tricks on me?

^__^
Mike

There's nothing wrong with your memory. It's typical Australian standard of workmanship - do it quickly and easily and get up to the pub !!!Cursing Cursing Cursing It's moments like this that I'm glad I'm retired. Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Dimi194  
#17 Posted : 18 November 2015 06:16:30(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Well sure enough, I found them in my local Aldi, with all the toys at the back of the store (there were about 10 of them there... maybe they'll get discounted later? Cool )

Interesting to say the least!

Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 18 November 2015 12:09:40(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well I bought a set from my Aldi store, opened it up and it's not bad for a starter set for little ones. There's plenty of literature on Marklin, joining the Marklin club etc. I haven't tested it yet but it looked like Marklin gave it a good workout as the slider has some wear. Mellow Mellow At least the country of origin isn't China - it's made in Hungary BigGrin BigGrin

I'll give you a full report after I've done some testing.

Greg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 18 November 2015 21:33:58(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Well as I don't need another train set (as nice as it might be), I did not attend my Aldi store yesterday.

However, I have had it from another Marklin friend, that his local store in Victoria sold out in 15 minutes.
As reported before, it appears each store got 10 sets.

Anyway, as I also reported previously, the local importer (Nathans Trains) will be doing warranty support, with appropriate remuneration.

regards
Kimball
Offline Shamu  
#20 Posted : 18 November 2015 23:20:37(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I completely forgot about it, had planned on grabbing 4 for the grandkids for Xmas.

Bugger Cursing Blushing

There are 2 stores within 7km so I might waist my time and go have a look today. Don't fancy my chances though.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kimballthurlow  
#21 Posted : 18 November 2015 23:53:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I completely forgot about it, had planned on grabbing 4 for the grandkids for Xmas.

Bugger Cursing Blushing........

BigGrin Hey Shane, why not buy just one, and watch the sparks fly. That will be fun!!!

regards
Kimball

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Shamu  
#22 Posted : 19 November 2015 02:30:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Still be dramas with 4 (1 per household, 10 gk's in total) as only little Alec is the only only child.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kimballthurlow  
#23 Posted : 19 November 2015 08:58:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I think that this is a good idea. Unfortunately, it should have happened when the Aussie Dollar was stronger. When they want to upgrade the little set, people will be shocked at the price difference between this cheap little set and the other stuff.. Time will tell.

BTW.. Is that a Banana Wagon at the end of the train BigGrin ??

Hi Adrian,
Inspected this set today, and Yes it is an era III DB bananen wagon, with the blue Jamaico brand.
I could do with a banana wagon, but a bit expensive, so I did not buy a set.

The train is Marklin product #29253. Nicely packed in sealed plastic film.
The Sunnybank Hills store had 7 left (maybe they started with 10).

regards
Kimball

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Drongo  
#24 Posted : 19 November 2015 11:54:34(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well I did a short report on the set.

This sets lies between the battery operated My World series and the real Marklin stuff. There's plenty of material on Marklin inside the box which encourages you buy and extend the set.

The loco even though has an mfx decoder only has one function and that's to turn the lights on or off. The loco ran well around the track, however, the plastic body looks cheap and is poorly finished. Again, this set is for the young beginners and is certainly NOT for the enthusiast. The carriages are good and the couplers work well. At $179 I felt that it was a bit expensive for a toy, but again for a Christmas present from Granddad I think it's worth it.

This is just my opinion.

Regards
Greg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 19 November 2015 20:53:52(UTC)
H0

ALDI in southern Germany will have this set on November 26, 2015. Märklin number for the set is 29250.

Link to ALDI site:
https://www.aldi-sued.de...set-lebensmitteltranspo/

They also have Faller sets again:
https://www.aldi-sued.de...-fuer-modelleisenbahnen/

The set is called Food Transport. I have no idea what the tank car is meant to contain.

Most likely the set (or a similar one) will also be available in northern Germany before Christmas.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline NZMarklinist  
#26 Posted : 20 November 2015 13:59:34(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Never mind if you miss out at Aldi, BW Bahn have Kids starter sets ranging from 45 - 53 euro on sale, and quite a lot of Thomas items. They will deduct the Mwst for export and their postage charges are realistic. I have bought a few Marklin & Trix HO adult RollEyes Smile items from them recently ThumpUp

www.bwbahn.de
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline kimballthurlow  
#27 Posted : 20 November 2015 21:22:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
ALDI in southern Germany will have this set on November 26, 2015. Märklin number for the set is 29250.
.....The set is called Food Transport. I have no idea what the tank car is meant to contain.

Hi Tom,
The tank car in the 29253 (Australia) is lettered "Milk" in English.
The banana van is lettered in German.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
H0
Offline nevw  
#28 Posted : 25 November 2015 22:42:53(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
ONe local store has 5 left and will check out the other 2 in a few days.

Nev
I have been harassing the local managers for about 4 years to get them in. persistance paid off.

Nn
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline petestra  
#29 Posted : 25 November 2015 22:48:24(UTC)
petestra

United States   
This would work, I believe, here in the states too. We have Aldi here now. Peter.Cool Cool Cool
Offline nevw  
#30 Posted : 26 November 2015 00:12:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
This would work, I believe, here in the states too. We have Aldi here now. Peter.Cool Cool Cool

Thats the way. ask the local store manager why they cannot have then same as Germany , Australia. If they sell here you will get them eventually may take a few years of asking and it then gets back to US office.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Wal  
#31 Posted : 26 November 2015 11:36:19(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Was in my Aldi today and they still had 9 sets left. I wonder how long before they discount them further to get rid of the stock? If they drop a bit i'll get one for a great nephew.
Offline rshimada  
#32 Posted : 28 November 2015 19:46:42(UTC)
rshimada

United States   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

Oh yeah, asides from the power supply issue, I'm sure a store that doesn't take credit cards will be really excited to sell Märklin trains! BigGrin (However, Bachmann trains at a US Aldi would not surprise me.)

FYI: The grocery store nearest my home is an Aldi.