Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2015 13:13:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
In my opinion this is one of the most successful loco ranges introduced by Marklin. They are relatively inexpensive but are good and reliable runners. They all share a common chassis with minor differences. The latest ones come with mfx and some have sound, though this of course has added to their cost. The TRAXX 1 locos have been replaced by TRAXX 2 with a different shape at the ends. All of mine are TRAXX 1.

At this point in time I have seven, 4 TRAXX electric, 1 TRAXX diesel and 2 EuroRunner Diesels:

29153 DBAG Br185
36851 SBB Re482
26544 Cisalpino Re484
29351 CFL 4012
36651 HVLE Br285
36849 ER20 LTE European Bulls
36792 OBB 2016

I would be interested to learn what opinions and experiences others have of these locos.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2015 15:45:54(UTC)
H0

Hi, Ray!

I have some of those Märklin locos (ER 20, 185, 285). They were relatively inexpensive when they were introduced, but with mfx and sound the price is significantly higher (and load regulation became worse).
Trix and Märklin also make TRAXX 2 locos with a plastic body - much nicer than the metal version.
All locos with a plastic body have white LEDs, but many with a metal body have yellow LEDs.
It's a Märklinism to use the frame and wheels of the TRAXX locos also for the ER 20.
Will we see a TRAXX 3 from Märklin next year?

Piko make TRAXX 1 in the Hobby range and TRAXX 2 and TRAXX 3 in the Expert range. Piko's detailing is better.
And a Piko TRAXX 3 with mfx and sound is very close to the Märklin price.

Roco also make the ER 20 and various TRAXX models. I haven't seen any of the latest TRAXX 2 models - AFAIK they improved them.

Other brands like Brawa and ACME also make TRAXX locos, but I didn't test any of those yet.

While I have enough TRAXX locos, I might buy an Re 482 with the current "Alpäzähmer" livery. Piko, are you reading here?

A very successful prototype loco that led to many H0 models.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2015 15:59:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Tom,

As you can see from my list all of my models are from the earlier, non-mfx, non-sound series, with the exception of the CFL loco which I still have to take delivery of, which has mfx. I'll have to see if I agree with you about the running characteristics. I do agree that some of the recent models are a bit over-priced for a hobby loco with reduced detailing.

I have one of the Piko Expert TRAXX 2 locos, an Angel Trains Br186. It does have better details, and when I bought it was only slightly more expensive than the Marklin equivalent. I think those Piko locos are pretty good value too!

I've seen Roco and Brawa versions of these locos, but find them very expensive compared to the Marklin and Piko versions.
Ray
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2015 09:20:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
With the multitude of models of these locos produced I'm surprised nobody else has an opinion.

There are several more of the Marklin models I would love to buy, including the TRAXX European Bulls electric to go with the ER20 diesel, and the ALEX ER20 with its train. For the latter I prefer the green version, not the yellow and white.

The blue and silver CFL TRAXX electric is also one that I want to add to my CFL stock.

All these first generation hobby locos are available on Ebay usually at less than €100, so I can build up my collection at little cost.
Ray
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2015 14:41:30(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
It is a good candidate for optimization, but of course clear limits in build quality like details and the awful decoder and motor.

See here my conversion to sound and LED head lights, LED rear lights and high beam: https://www.marklin-user...beam-and-rear-light.aspx

Low beam

UserPostedImage

Low beam + High beam

UserPostedImage

High beam

UserPostedImage

Rear light

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 04 November 2015 23:00:25(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, just thought i would put my penny worth in. I did have two of the Marklin budge.t traxx locos myself. And sold them to get myself a Brawa Traxx 186. I have to to say that it looked very nice, it was very accurate in detail. And the sound decoder was the best i have ever heard!! In any model. But and there is a big BUT😩😱 it would not shunt Marklin stock around ,or through K track curved points without, pushing off its own snow plow and therefore stopping the train or derailling it. The problem is the Marklin or Brawa coupler is just not desighned to have that much play to allow it to swing out. It therefore has no were to go and just pushes the snow plow off as there is not enough cut out above the snow plow. This may be ok for those who have large radius track and therefore will not have the problem.
The other problem by far. Is its pick up shoe is far to thin and flimsey. It has a very poar spring and will therefore make bad contact and a stop start run around the layout. It was very annoying! All my Marklin locos run on my track without fault and at a very slow pace without stopping. So it cant be my track. Blink
I sold the two Marklin Traxx locos which were very reliable little runners. Its most upsettingCrying
On a plus point. modellbahn Kramm took the Brawa loco back without any nonsence, and i exchanged it for a Nice new Marklin SNCB series 23 elok with full sound and a nice heavy metal body. Ive learned from this. I will stick with Marklin i thinkBigGrin

Heres a youtube clip of my Marklin traxx ECR. Im going to get a new one again i thinkLOL
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 04 November 2015 23:14:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dan,

The beauty of sticking with just Marklin is that you know that everything will generally work together well. When you start mixing brands then you may get problems with coupler incompatibility, buffer height differences, wheel standards discrepancies, etc, which will sometimes come back to bite you.

I have several locos and lots of stock from other manufacturers but have learned how to get over, or at least work around, the incompatibilities to a certain extent. Changing wheel and couplers to Marklin types can help, but sometimes you have to be aware that the non-Marklin loco may not be built to allow it around Marklin R1 curves.

Those Brawa locos are very nice, so it's a shame you were not able to make it work well on your layout. You should try a Piko loco. They generally work very well with Marklin in my experience.
Ray
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2015 23:24:53(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks Ray. I think its a case of once bitten with meBlink BigGrin
I cant bring myself to go there again. I have the new Marklin G2000 on order. So thats my next one. And after that it will be another hobby Marklin i would think. And i have a long list of stock as wellBigGrin

My layout is a small one and therefore i will have issues ,if a change again im sure. So to keep myself and my wife from being stressed with me for making a bum perchase. I will stick with Marklin as i have done since 1978BigGrin
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2015 23:40:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Changing wheel and couplers to Marklin types can help [...]
Märklin close couplers are too high and will cause problems with many third party items. You cannot even use Märklin close couplers on rolling stock coupled to certain third party items.
The Roco universal coupler is a suitable replacement.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 05 November 2015 00:12:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Changing wheel and couplers to Marklin types can help [...]
Märklin close couplers are too high and will cause problems with many third party items. You cannot even use Märklin close couplers on rolling stock coupled to certain third party items.
The Roco universal coupler is a suitable replacement.

Funnily enough I haven't found this to be a problem very often. I have successfully fitted Marklin close couplers to Roco, Piko, HAG, Jouef and Lilliput wagons without issues. I had to remove them from one Piko locomotive because they touched the buffers, but so far that is all.

The Roco universal coupler is fine as it is quite low profile, but I find it difficult sometimes to uncouple with a Marklin electric uncoupler.

Ray
Offline Dimi194  
#11 Posted : 05 November 2015 03:47:58(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
I've got the ER 20 that was a Police Themed one (1 FC Marklin Club Exclusive version 36793) and also the 1 FC Haribo TRAXX Loco 36603 (which I think share the same chassis?)

Either way I've found them both to be very good locos; nice speed steps, not too loud, lots of pulling power have survived kicks and bashes (siblings *sigh*). Both 'suffer' from yellow LEDs (I honestly don't mind) but that aside, they are nice little machines, and easy to see why Marklin has made so many of them!
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 05 November 2015 08:52:02(UTC)
H0

Collisions between Märklin couplers and buffers (with Märklin rolling stock, buffers are higher and/or smaller to avoid collisions) are a problem with long rolling stock only.
You do not have this problem with a short two axle or four axle freight car.

The last time I had this problem was when I tested the long Roco transformer car next to a short Märklin freight car with a Märklin coupler.
A blog post about various H0 couplers:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/

A review of my Märklin 36608 TRAXX loco (side by side with TRAXX locos from Roco and Trix):
https://www.marklin-user...XX-Locomotive#post340743

A post about DIY conversions from yellow to white LEDs:
https://www.marklin-user...re-white-LEDs#post467267
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Soest  
#13 Posted : 25 November 2015 19:38:06(UTC)
Soest

I have two examples: RAG (36854) and Railion 36836. I got them new for Euro 80 each. With a metal body and eight driven wheels I think they were a bargain. I also collected them because they are made by Bombardier and I am Canadian.
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Soest
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 25 November 2015 20:19:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Here are pictures of mine so far:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 25 November 2015 23:18:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Here is a similar loco (i guess it is a Hobby range) which I got in a set in 2008.
It was supplied by the local Mercedes Benz dealership.
it runs OK but from memory it is a bit noisy.
Could somebody please tell me if it is not in the same series for this topic, as I can remove this post easily.

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 25 November 2015 23:48:46(UTC)
H0

Hi, Kimball!
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Here is a similar loco (i guess it is a Hobby range) which I got in a set in 2008.
Looks like a loco from the premium range: five-pole motor, only two axles powered, maybe even with red rear lights.
The loco was sometimes downgraded for train sets, locos sold separately had nine-pole motors (C-Sinus or SDS).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0