Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2015 19:09:06(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
In no particular order:

UserPostedImage

Electrical connection for headlamps. There is a plug removed to separate the boiler from the frame. You will see the connector in another picture below. The front of the smoke box is a plastic casting that can be removed. Edit: There is a plastic washer between the front boiler screw mount and the frame. Be careful so it does not go MIA. I held it in place with some Trix grease. A simple trick to hold such items in place until reassembled. Also be careful of the black and grey headlamp wires, they are easily pinched.

UserPostedImage

Electrical connection to cab light. Two springs on a circuit board inside touch these two contacts.

UserPostedImage

The smoke unit connects differently. You remove the smoke stack (a plastic casting) remove a piece of skrink tubing they stuffed into the hole and then insert the smoke unit. Once the smoke unit is in, place the smoke stack over the smoke unit. The black and grey wires are for the headlamps. There is a connector at the end, but not seen in this picture.

UserPostedImage

Electrical connection at the tender's circuit board has changed. Now it is a plug and socket and not wires soldered to solder pads. The speaker is now held in place with a foam square that interferes between the back of the speaker and the tender circuit board. No more plastic piece across the back of the speaker.

UserPostedImage

The boiler removed. The springs top left are the connections for the cab light.

UserPostedImage

The smoke stack removed so the smoke unit may be installed.

UserPostedImage

Boiler with smoke stack removed and shrink tube waiting to be removed.

UserPostedImage

Smoke stack installed.

UserPostedImage

There is now a cab footplate to bridge the gap to the tender. It is attached to the boiler and is hinged.

UserPostedImage

Footplate held up with tweezers.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Apparently there is something poisonous in the tender. I guess it is bad to eat coal.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

They have done quite a few things different from their norm. Overall it is quite well made. I have not run it yet but for a lap around my track to prove it works.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 24 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2015 19:25:42(UTC)
H0

Hi, Matt!
Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Apparently there is something poisonous in the tender. I guess it is bad to eat coal.
There is no drinking water in the tender. The added water softener is not good for the health.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2015 19:51:41(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Matt!
Thanks for the review.

There is no drinking water in the tender. The added water softener is not good for the health.

Thanks Tom, now I see it better "nein trinkwasser".
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline tfk  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2015 20:15:53(UTC)
tfk

Netherlands   
Beautiful locomotive!

The sign indeed says "Kein Trinkwasser" which translates to "No drinking water".

Cheers!
TFK
TFK
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2015 20:56:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the review.ThumpUp

I note the front of loco bit open at last picture.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:03:04(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the review.ThumpUp

I note the front of loco bit open at last picture.

I noticed that too after I posted the photos.

So I went back and took a look at the loko, Marklin made it that way. There is a tit between the front skirt and the loko frame. Actually four tits, but only two touch the frame.

UserPostedImage

Edit: Have to push the skirt back so the tits drop behind the frame.

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:06:43(UTC)
H0

On picture 4 in post #1 you can see two holes. Maybe the two small pegs should be in those holes - and the gap will be closed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:11:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
On picture 4 in post #1 you can see two holes. Maybe the two small pegs should be in those holes - and the gap will be closed.

Sure looks like it to me.

was picture 12 in the first post taken before disassembling the loco? It looks like they may be sitting in the holes there.

Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:12:02(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

That was fast Tom, you saw and posted even before my edit of post #6 timed out and showed as an edit at the bottom of the post.
Matt
Era 3
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:26:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I wouldn't remove the shrink tubing unless it says so
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 22 November 2015 15:32:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't remove the shrink tubing unless it says so

Removal is part of the instructions. I am not sure why it is there, you are looking into a black hole and the headlamps are LEDs that would not leak light into the boiler.
Matt
Era 3
Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 22 November 2015 19:41:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thank you for the nice pictures and review.Enjoy the perfect steamer.ThumpUp
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 23 November 2015 05:54:00(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
This is a beautiful lok, Matt, and so great to see the details,
all the way to the footplate between the tender and lok moving up and down.

I see these DR loks and often wonder if one could get away with this livery if modeling the DR in the DRG around 1955.
Would they have written out the name in full at that time, or ever lettered in capitals; "DR" on the loks as they did on cars.

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 23 November 2015 08:20:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
I see these DR loks and often wonder if one could get away with this livery if modeling the DR in the DRG around 1955.
GDR, not DRG. Or do you mean 1925 or 1935?

The first BR 01.5 locos were built in 1962. Would be a bit futuristic for a 1955 layout.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 23 November 2015 17:55:29(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Mark, I was going back over the first post and saw "Deutsche Reichbahn" on the side of the cab and freaked out for a moment, I always see Deutsche Bundesbahn on my lokos, then I quickly remembered this is era 3 DDR and not the DRG. I am not sure how the DR lettered their wagens since this is my first, but it appears wagens, both freight and passenger, got "DR" and the lokos received "Deutsche Reichbahn."
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 23 November 2015 18:55:21(UTC)
Goofy

What decoder is it?
Same old or the new mSD3?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 23 November 2015 20:25:22(UTC)
H0

but it appears wagens, both freight and passenger, got "DR" and the lokos received "Deutsche Reichbahn."
There was a simple political reason: after WW II the allied forces agreed that the Deutsche Reichsbahn was responsible for the railway traffic in all four sectors of Berlin.
If they had changed the name, this would have led to new negotiations - and they might have lost their control of railway traffic in Western Berlin.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#18 Posted : 23 November 2015 22:47:10(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
What decoder is it?

I believe it is the old decoder. It looks like the old one and it doesn't support DCC like the earlier release Br 18.5 39030.
Matt
Era 3
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 23 November 2015 23:26:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
What decoder is it?

I believe it is the old decoder. It looks like the old one and it doesn't support DCC like the earlier release Br 18.5 39030.

I was told at the Treff in September that it would have the old decoder. The new decoders will not come fitted to locos until next year. I expect the new decoder to be a 'feature' of some locos in the NI brochure.

Offline jlopez  
#20 Posted : 24 November 2015 05:40:04(UTC)
jlopez

United States   
I ordered this locomotive as well, and am looking forward to running it. Is it just me, or is it about time that Marklin just have their steam locomotives come equiped with smoke generators. I have having to open up some of these locomotives just to but in a generator. I cant understand for the price we pay for them they can not simply included it in the production process. Ok rant over. ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jlopez
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 24 November 2015 13:00:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: jlopez Go to Quoted Post
I ordered this locomotive as well, and am looking forward to running it. Is it just me, or is it about time that Marklin just have their steam locomotives come equiped with smoke generators. I have having to open up some of these locomotives just to but in a generator. I cant understand for the price we pay for them they can not simply included it in the production process. Ok rant over. ;)

Not everyone wants to run them with smoke.

I find the smoke generated by model locos to be unrealistic and to me it spoils the illusion of reality instead of enhancing it.

We are told that smoke generators should not be run "dry" so if every loco came with one installed I would be forced to open up the loco to remove it before using the loco.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
GLI
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 24 November 2015 13:20:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
We are told that smoke generators should not be run "dry" so if every loco came with one installed I would be forced to open up the loco to remove it before using the loco.
Only when you run in analogue mode. And the decoder can be programmed to disable the smoke generator for analogue operation. Of course this applies to loco with digitally controlled smoke generators only, but with an mfx decoder there is no reason not to make the smoke generator controllable.

There is one big drawback: with Märklin's crippled decoders, the changes for analogue mode cannot be made with 6021, Intellibox, MS1, or MS2.
Some "analogue people" have an MS1 or MS2, but that would currently not be enough.

OTOH this would be a nice chance for service-oriented dealers to support their analogue customers by adding an extra check box to the order form: "Disable smoke for analogue operation" (besides the "Enable sound for analogue operation" check box they can already use).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#23 Posted : 25 November 2015 19:15:07(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
You are right Tom,
meant to say GDR or DDR.
Yes, I am trying to keep things within two to three years either way of 1955 for now.
Although I have several locomotives outside that range, anything that uses a livery that was current or old locomotives or rolling stock that while antiquated still ran on the rails at the time would seem suitable to me, would it not?

I am looking, here, primarily at what East and West Germany would have felt and looked like in 1955 to 1959-ish...
...prior to the wall going up at this leg of my layout.

So yes, the BR 01.5 would have to wait a bit for photos and film clips of the layout if I follow my own system.

Very interesting fact, btw, about the DR running locomotives in the four sectors of Berlin, and the reason for keeping the name in full.
However, there were more modern locomotives with DR on them. When, or what date, would it have changed to DR initials?

- Mark

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
GDR, not DRG. Or do you mean 1925 or 1935?

The first BR 01.5 locos were built in 1962. Would be a bit futuristic for a 1955 layout.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline NS1200  
#24 Posted : 26 November 2015 20:18:25(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Oh dear,looking at her fragile intestines she reminds me of the very poorly constructed Piko 01.5 i owned earlier this year and which ended up in the bin.
I sincerely hope that her metal boiler will make her feel better.
She is still on my wishlist but i need to be convinced once more.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).