Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2015 22:50:16(UTC)
H0

A prototype picture of a sister loco:
UserPostedImage

And now for the Roco model:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Here you can see that the prototype loco can travel through many European countries:
UserPostedImage

The centre region of the loco, also with many printed details:
UserPostedImage

The left section of the loco:
UserPostedImage

The full loco in profile:
UserPostedImage

This livery is available from Piko and Roco - and I think both made the same running number.
I wanted a model with this livery. So I had to make up my mind from which manufacturer I would buy it.
Piko make the ES 64 F4 in the Hobby range - good value for the money, good price, but not many details.
I decided to buy the Roco model as the details on the roof look better, the pantographs look much better and also the details below the buffer beam are much better.

The model:
The detailing is very nice IMHO.

The wind-shield wipers and the UIC sockets at the loco front come in a goodies bag and have to be applied by the customer.
At cab 1 I removed 8 pre-installed parts and installed some details that can only be used when the coupler is removed.
Installing the details took some time, but I managed it without problems.

Technical details:
Under the hood the model is somewhat "old school": light bulbs, red lights cannot be controlled separately, only two powered axles.
The decoder (Zimo) should have one or two unused function outputs and I will try to make the red rear-lights controllable.
One advantage of the light bulbs: you can remove the red bulbs to disable the red lights permanently.

Pros:
- Nice details
- Four different pantographs
- Good five-pole motor, smooth runner

Cons:
- Light bulbs (prototype uses LEDs and the lights are much too warm to be prototypically correct)
- Only two powered axles
- "Old school" NEM 652 decoder socket

Conclusion:
Very good model. I'd say it is an eight on a scale of ten. Not perfect, but with minor imperfections only IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2015 02:48:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tom,
I have a slight advantage of buying roco locos, I don't buy AC but rather DC locos and running them from the overhead system but this is not the reason behind it, DC locos have usually 4 driven axles whereas AC as you described 2 axles driven to be able to fit the pick up shoe. some models had 3 axles powered before but may be they've changed it to 2 axles now. I also noticed some have 2 rubber tyres on DC locos on opposite ends and this I change to 4 rubber tyres by buying an axle from a similar loco which has 2 rubber tyres and than just take the wheel off without rubber tyre and replace it with a rubber tyre and this is quite easy to do as the inserts most the time of plastic made of (Wheel) and all you have to do is push the axle out and replace the wheel, just make sure the axle has a cogwheel and you're ordering the right spare part.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2015 21:45:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am looking forward to receiving my SBB Cargo Lok. I was surprised to see that Roco opted to change the locomotive number to 107. Many sources were reporting that the model was going to be 112, the same as the Piko model.

SBB leased these ES64F4 locomotives to replace the handful of Traxx 186 locomotives that they had previously leased from Railpool. The SBB Cargo fleet includes many locomotives which are capable of operating in Germany and Switzerland and Italy and Switzerland, but did not have any locomotives which were capable of operating in Holland, Belgium and could be used for the entire run from there through the Alps to Italy, meaning that multiple locomotive changes were required.
SBB Cargo also leased a number of Vectron type locomotives from Siemens which are authorized for use in Germany and Austria.
As a result, a number of the older Re 482 and even Re 421 locomotives have been leased to domestic operators in Germany who use those locomotives in Germany only.
The BLS has similarly leased a number of it's Re 486 to German operators for use in Germany, Austria and Italy and then leased additional Traxx 186 which can also operate in Holland and Belgium, as their requirements called for container trains from Rotterdam to Italy.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2015 02:42:05(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Lighting upgrade kits are available for the Roco BR189:

http://www.digikeijs.com...ight-set-roco-br189.html
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
H0