Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2015 03:05:06(UTC)
walters48

United States   
I have a very nice #3675 loco that I bought on eBay several years ago.
It has run great over the years w/ careful handling and regular scheduled maintenance.
Out of the clear blue, the headlamps wink off for no reason.
So I pull the body off the frame and nothing looks amiss--all soldered joints and wires are
tight no signs of scorching or black carbon . Both bulbs tested as working(there is 1 bulb at each end). The wire
leads into each bulb socket tested @ about 4 VAC.
Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Chas
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2015 20:02:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chas,

Are you operating in digital mode? If so there should be a lot more than 4V at the light bulb. If the loco still runs I would suspect a blown transistor in the decoder.

If you are operating analogue, then as I recall in analogue mode the lights should not be lit with a 6080 decoder such as the one in a 3675.

Hope this helps.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline walters48  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2015 03:00:21(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chas,

Are you operating in digital mode? If so there should be a lot more than 4V at the light bulb. If the loco still runs I would suspect a blown transistor in the decoder.

If you are operating analogue, then as I recall in analogue mode the lights should not be lit with a 6080 decoder such as the one in a 3675.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ray,
Actually I am running analog, but I could have sworn the lights used to work. I'm sure I have other digital locos which have operating head lights running in analog. Is it just the 6080 decoder that cancels the lights?
Thanks,
Chas
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2015 08:22:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: walters48 Go to Quoted Post
Is it just the 6080 decoder that cancels the lights?
The 6080 has no "function" in analogue mode. I'm not sure if the 6090 has "function" active in analogue mode - maybe not.
Back then "function" was sometimes used for Telex or long distance headlights - and it would be bad to have Telex always on in analogue operation.

You may see lights with old locos if "function" is used for something else.

The 60901 brought 5 functions, two were always on in analogue mode.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline walters48  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2015 01:34:57(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Is it just the 6080 decoder that cancels the lights?
The 6080 has no "function" in analogue mode. I'm not sure if the 6090 has "function" active in analogue mode - maybe not.
Back then "function" was sometimes used for Telex or long distance headlights - and it would be bad to have Telex always on in analogue operation.

You may see lights with old locos if "function" is used for something else.

Well, I decided to dig out the original box and operating booklet for this loco. According to the box code it was built around 04/93. The booklet doesn't actually specify which decoder is in the loco, but contains the following sentence:
"Your authorized Marklin Digital dealer will be happy to convert your analog locomotive to a digital unit with the c 80 decoder." So is the c 80 decoder the same or similar to the 6080 decoder? And is there any way to set the coding switches on the decoder to turn the lights on while operating in analog mode?
Thanks,
Chas
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2015 04:50:49(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Tom,

Generally what were the two analogue functions for the 60901?
Trying to imagine how the functions stay on in a constant state other than lights or smoke ability.

With other decoders can you keep program them to keep the operating sounds on in Analogue mode?
- Mark

[....]

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2015 07:53:32(UTC)
H0

So is the c 80 decoder the same or similar to the 6080 decoder?
6080 and c80 are synonyms. All 36xx locos should have 6080 decoders.
With a soldering iron you can connect the lights to the slider to have them always on.

All 37xx locos should have 6090 decoders.
37xxx locos can have 6090, 60901, ESU LoPi, ESU mfx, Märklin mfx, Märklin PIC, maybe more ...
36xxx can also have many different decoders, with or without mfx.

With five-digit ref. numbers should be on in analogue mode - unless it is an old 37xxx loco with a 6090 decoder (I am still not sure about those).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2015 08:04:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Generally what were the two analogue functions for the 60901?
F0 and F1. F0 for headlights.
F1 for smoke generator, or diesel sounds, or other light functions that make sense for analogue mode. Sometimes F1 was unused while F2 and F3 where used for long distance headlights.

With other decoders can you keep program them to keep the operating sounds on in Analogue mode?
With mfx decoders and recent ESU LokSound decoders you can specify which functions will be on in analogue operation.
With Zimo decoders you also can have sound in analogue mode.
The "How to" depends on the decoder and may only work with some controllers.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2015 17:36:14(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Very clever, so when you say the Zimo decoders 'also' can have sound, do you mean that any function from the ESU and mfx decoders can be programmed to function in analogue? If so I guess that sound will be constant and not adjusted to hear acceleration and deceleration of the motor, or say braking sounds when stopping. How would the decoder know unless especially designed to do so?... I am guessing.
- M5

[.....]

With mfx decoders and recent ESU LokSound decoders you can specify which functions will be on in analogue operation.
With Zimo decoders you also can have sound in analogue mode.
The "How to" depends on the decoder and may only work with some controllers.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2015 20:26:29(UTC)
H0

If so I guess that sound will be constant and not adjusted to hear acceleration and deceleration of the motor, or say braking sounds when stopping.
The operating sounds function in analogue mode much as they do in digital mode: heavy roar while accelerating, easy sound while slowing down, squealing brakes before the train stops.
You can even set the minimum voltage to e.g. 9 volts. At 8 volts the loco is still standing, but you hear the diesel engine startup sequence.
Acceleration delay is also active, braking delay is active as far as the track voltage allows that.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 26 November 2015 20:43:01(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thank you Tom,
That is impressive and important information (perhaps another thread is warranted).
While it does allow for another way of running your digital locomotives,
one wonders if you had the capability to play with settings and modify them
with a digital control, it would be unnecessary since you would likely already have a digital layout.

However, it does give those a chance who have an analog system to ask a friend or dealer
to preset the locomotive to be active with those functions. (I think you basically said this already, but worth re-iterating.)
Now I am thinking doing this for a loco or two for our analog show layout.

Thanks so much for answering all our (my) questions Tom.
I am so grateful for your dedication to this forum.
- M5

[...]
The operating sounds function in analogue mode much as they do in digital mode: heavy roar while accelerating, easy sound while slowing down, squealing brakes before the train stops.
You can even set the minimum voltage to e.g. 9 volts. At 8 volts the loco is still standing, but you hear the diesel engine startup sequence.
Acceleration delay is also active, braking delay is active as far as the track voltage allows that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
H0