Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2015 07:28:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
How often do we hear "Oh don't buy Marklin, it's too expensive" ??

I happened to be in a provincial city recently with my daughter, it was a general books, toys, hobby type shop and I saw they had quite a range of Hornby amongst other items, some Mamod Engines, die-cast etc so worth a good browse.

I happened to spot a display with a range of 2-rail track including prices - Peco Streamline to be specific. I was quite surprised so I took a couple of photos

Then I checked against our local reseller Toot Toot and compared against a range of C-track on their website (www.toottoot.co.nz).

I was surprised to find the various track sections on average to be very close. I thought I had captured straight sections as well but appears I missed them.

Obviously there are a couple of things to acknowledge. If you are doing a large layout, 2-rail gives you the advantage of longer flexible track lengths which Marklin only offer in K-track - fine if it's hidden or you are happy to ballast but a long straight run in sectional C-track may be more expensive than 2-rail flexi.

Also, I did not check prices of 2-rail Turnouts compared to Marklin. And of course, most 2-rail from different brands will work together if you keep your codes the same - Marklin only works with Marklin.

But the point is that as a start set for a child, to expand from the standard oval usually supplied into a double track, or an interesting design through hills with curves etc I would suggest that the cost difference for sectional curves and straights comparing this example of Peco with C-track could be very close.

Is this NZ retailer charging higher than average for the Peco track or is this typical of prices others have seen?

it would be an interesting study to do sometime - take a basic but interesting layout design such as would interest a keen child and compare the track and cost required in Marklin, Hornby, Peco and perhaps one of two others.

Peco1.jpgPeco2.jpgPeco3.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2015 11:29:56(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
IMO the price argument is not fair as a stand alone argument for choosing one system over the other.

Yes, you will save money with 2-rail flexi track, no doubt about it. They are cheaper - the flexi tracks. The prices of the points are about the same, and some times even higher for 2-rail points (depending on the manufacturer). Eventually, when you compare the amount of money that you spend on tracks with the amount of money that you spend on everything else for your layout, the amount saved on track is probably small compared to the total cost of the layout.

In the long run: I do not think it matters.

People should choose whatever makes them feel happy and creative. I use Trix C-track for my layout, and I never think about them as expensive or anything. The price of the points are usually cheaper than most Roco-Line points.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2015 11:38:40(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Interesting, but I think NZ and AU are not very good places to compare pricing strategy between 2-rail and 3-rails.
Here in Europe, 2-rail is definetly much cheaper than 3-rail track sections. -And the offer much bigger (more different suppliers).

I think that for far-away export countries (or import-countries, depending on your point of view) the price for shipping volume and weight adds THE SAME to the price.
Even if a batch of tracks cost the half for 2-rail as for 3-rail, the COST to transport it to the other side of the world is the same, and would thus lower the relative difference in price between the two systems.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2015 20:16:54(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Cookie,

Nice curves all Wink
HOWEVER....Don't forget that you can also set up your 3-rail K-track with a toggle and some isolation to function as a 2-rail loop or section of rail,
if that is the reason you are buying 2-rail.

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2015 23:27:42(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
If one really wants to save money you can get M track. Somewhat off the track (subject) the price of Marklin locomotives and wagons are comparable in price to other brands if you figure the in the detail and features - Fred
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2015 14:32:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Is this NZ retailer charging higher than average for the Peco track or is this typical of prices others have seen?

Well,
Osbournes Models used to be my local retailer (until he moved to Devon) and his prices would be pretty representative of UK Peco and Hornby track prices.

Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2015 15:19:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
End of the Line Hobbies shop - http://www.endofthelineh...au/railway/oo--176/track

Such as ST-231 - $6.50 ($10.50 show on first post with picture).
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2015 15:47:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
interesting points, I've decided to go for Märklin K track, well this was it or stay with M -track, so my choice was clear. 2 rail never came into the quotation. I may had options of using sleeker turnouts than the K - track turnout but all the changing around from 2 rail to 3 rail, I don't think it would have been worth it.

another option which I do use or have used later while improving my layout I bought second hand or c-tracks and turnouts (the smashing era) and the same with K-track. these days there are 100 of offers on ebay to buy second hand (new out of starter packs), at very cheap prices, not so good for shop owners.

I think the most expensive part on a layout are people and trees and it is a drawback living in Western Australia as you do not get second hand markets or auctions for this type of stuff, whereas in Germany the sales of these item are plenty.

So all in all, it is still an expensive hobby but if you're not too fussy it could save you half the money you normally would spend on new stuff, I think this is the only way to achieve an positive outcome when it comes to a budget of any sort.

take landscaping for instance, buying things for landscaping is another unnecessary expense, all my landscaping part of the cork bark is coming from the garden soil and the natural landscape and it didn't cost me cent, a day outing, a backpack and coming home with all the goodies you need, except wild mushrooms.

bridges you can build them yourself and how many times have we seen modellers doing their own houses. ballasting, don't get a little packet, get a large quantity of it and you save hundreds of dollars, this leaves us than with the rolling stock and locos. if you don't mind there is a scratch or two these again can be bought second hand.
to some extend it always amazes me when modellers and train enthusiasts talk about details, this is OK when you hold the object close to your face but most the time the loco and carriages are racing along a track and I can't see any details, or if there is a brake shoe missing, we sometimes set our mind to an extraordinary level of expectations which I think is not always warranted for, a broken bit there and than is it going to ruin your life ? is it going to do you harm ? is it going to matter at all ?, or what do the neighbours think ? Of course it is irrelevant, completely irrelevant.

I've also looked at Winter trees with snow on it, nearly twice as expensive, its cheap just to buy your ordinary tree, whack a bit of white tiling grout onto it with a brush and its fixed and you can put as much on it as you like and there may be enough over it to seal the odd hole around the house.

and if all this doesn't help you always can get someone to build it for you and you don't have to worry about the little details, design or construction you just pay one lump sum in 20 years monthly instalments.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
GLI