Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2015 06:47:48(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I was looking at the new Marklin website (MUCH better than the previous one, I must say) and just for the fun of it I wanted to see how many dealers there are here for the Marklin products.

So, I searched for "Canada" in the country menu and THERE IS NO "CANADA". Scared

Puzzled, I look to see if, alas, we were lumped with the US list. Nope!

This did not make sense to me since the Westend Trains shop is obviously a Marklin dealer in Toronto and has a sign as big as a house that says "Marklin".

So, on a hunch, I thought to myself that maybe there is another name for Canada in German since the list of the countries is in German even though I was in the English side of the website (Confused ).

I was right! Our country is called "Kanada" in the list and found Westend Trains shop listed, the ONLY one in Ontario.

Now that I know we exist with the Marklin folks, I can sleep better. BigGrin

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2015 08:27:00(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

So, on a hunch, I thought to myself that maybe there is another name for Canada in German since the list of the countries is in German even though I was in the English side of the website (Confused ).

No offense intended, but since the first country that appears on that list is called "Deutschland" (and not "Germany") common sense should almost instantly lead you to the insight that the entire list is provided in German language only (IMHO perfectly acceptable for a company based in Germany). Thus it probably took you less time to find Kanada than to write your posting... RollEyes

BTW, I am writing this from "Schweiz" and NEVER find my country in any drop-down country listings originating in Canada. Wink
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2015 11:16:48(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

No offense intended, but since the first country that appears on that list is called "Deutschland" (and not "Germany") common sense should almost instantly lead you to the insight that the entire list is provided in German language only (IMHO perfectly acceptable for a company based in Germany). Thus it probably took you less time to find Kanada than to write your posting... RollEyes

BTW, I am writing this from "Schweiz" and NEVER find my country in any drop-down country listings originating in Canada. Wink

Yes, there is no "Oz"
Not even a "Doz", "Boz", "Ozerland" or "Ozerich" on these drop-down menus either.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2015 14:16:24(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I think you both missed the point:

I was looking for "Canada" in the list and did not find it. Since I don't speak German, I had no idea whether they forgot us or there was another name for our country. Once I found it, I was happy. I did not say I did not know that the list was in German.

As for whether it is reasonable on a website section set out in English to have the names of the countries listed in German (so you can BUY the products), well, we can agree to disagree. Given that the whole point of having an English side is to cater to those of us who don't speak German, I would have thought that the list should have been in English. Imagine if Toyota had the list of the countries in Japanese on their English section website....LOL

Arrivederci amici miei.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2015 15:41:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I have seen sites where the country list had been translated from English to German - without resorting the list.
So Germany was listed as "Deutschland", but amidst all the countries with "G" where Germany would be on the list. With long lists (150+ entries) it can take some time to find it.

Back to Märklin: The only English entry in the list is "United Kingdom". "USA" works in English and German. To confuse US-Americans they could have written "Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika" - it's not fair to confuse Canadians only.
Another oddity: "Österreich" appears at the end of the list and not between "N" and "P".

Foreigners who want to visit shops in Germany during their holidays may find it confusing that "Germany" is not on the list. But "Deutschland" is the default and many will understand what this means.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2015 16:48:42(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The new site is different and I think that it will be better... it already is more iPad or iDevice friendly with larger buttons and text.

As for translations of lists and other background pop-ups, what do you expect from a German website developer...at least they have an English website that is mostly functional.

As with the CS2 instructions and messages, these will get ironed out...particularly if we point it out to Marklin rather than complain about it.

Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2015 11:56:52(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
...the entire list is provided in German language only (IMHO perfectly acceptable for a company based in Germany).

Do you really believe thats excuse yourself? I find it hilarious!
If you are in an english part of a website, orientated towards english speaking customers, you think it is normal to supply the key search list in german?! roflmao!!!
I think they put their foot in it!

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
H0
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2015 13:12:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Actually, I think that in the 21st century we should be using the correct names for Countries regardless of where we come from or the language we speak..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2015 13:37:16(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Actually, I think that in the 21st century we should be using the correct names for Countries regardless of where we come from or the language we speak..

And I think that even before the 21st century it was never a disadvantage to be able to look over one's own little fence and accept the fact that there are different languages and cultures all over the world. One would think that the superior attitude of "we only speak English, so all the others must adapt" might meanwhile have disappeared - especially in a country like Canada where a couple of "backward" guys still dare to speak French.

Sometimes one wonders why people buy and collect the products of a German manufacturer although they are not even tolerant of such petty oversights on a web site. Crying ThumbDown
Offline Unholz  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2015 13:45:16(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Do you really believe thats excuse yourself?

Would you kindly inform me why I should be obliged to "excuse myself"? Cursing This is a free and democratic forum, and I am allowed to voice my opinion without having to make a low bow towards anybody. Mad
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 13 November 2015 14:37:08(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am puzzled here. I made what I thought was an innocuous comment on not finding Canada in the list and all of a sudden the discussion has turned unpleasant. Why? Confused

Perhaps the solution is stick to manufacturers of one's country. As a result, maybe I should only buy trains from ROCO! LOL

Ein schönes Wochenende jedermann
(Have a good weekend everyone)

BigGrin
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 13 November 2015 19:35:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Would you kindly inform me why I should be obliged to "excuse myself"? Cursing This is a free and democratic forum, and I am allowed to voice my opinion without having to make a low bow towards anybody. Mad

I think there has been a misunderstanding here.

My interpretation was "Do you really believe that excuse yourself?". In other words, "Do you accept that as the reason?"

I do not read that any offence or insult was intended.

Just take a deep breath and think how a simple comment can be misunderstood, ESPECIALLY when English is not the first language of either of the two friendly contributors. :-)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 13 November 2015 19:52:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Yes, there is no "Oz"
Not even a "Doz", "Boz", "Ozerland" or "Ozerich" on these drop-down menus either.

But there is "Australien", which is exactly where you would find it in an English search.

And I was pleasantly surprised that when I went to the site from my Android tablet (first time since revamp), I got a request to share my location which I allowed, and up popped a map of Aus & NZ with markers showing the location of the dealers in both countries. I thought this very user-friendly.

I was also surprised to see a pointer for my home town of Wellington showing Train Technology in Newlands because the general feeling is that Philip has all but abandoned the hobby line of business and anyone trying to find them will only see signage for Advanced Television Services. So unless you know it's the same business you would be quite mystified.

There used to be a Marklin sign within the shop, I do not know if it is still there as I have not been back there for some time although we do use Philip for our TV repairs.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2015 20:26:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Regardless of the fact that Marklin have an updated website release, I find it confusing in many respects.
My internet searching for Marklin products has evolved to where I use Google more than I do maerklin.com or .de, because I seem to find anything instantly.

I do use maerklin.de to access my Insider pages.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2015 20:51:24(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Regarding languages (and country names), I suggest to follow the example of the European Union.
europa.eu.png
Source: www.europa.eu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Webmaster  
#16 Posted : 13 November 2015 21:10:25(UTC)
Webmaster

To support all languages is a bit of work, but if you publish a professional site with different language options all the information in pages and menus etc should be in that language...
That's why marklin-users.net is in English only - to much work to support different language versions on a hobby site maintained during spare time... A "convenience" shortcut, I admit...

I am sure M will fix it sooner or later, depending upon further spending available in their budget for web consultants, seems a bit like the new site was rushed to market by someone in managerial position... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 13 November 2015 21:29:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I think this is bad, very bad:

SWE - DEN

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
H0
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 13 November 2015 21:34:52(UTC)
H0

I just checked Märklin's webshop (Shipping and Costs). For historic reasons, USA and Canada are missing - but all other countries are shown with their English names.
That list shows Great Britain, not United Kingdom.

Maybe different developer teams ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#19 Posted : 14 November 2015 01:36:14(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I just checked Märklin's webshop (Shipping and Costs). For historic reasons, USA and Canada are missing - but all other countries are shown with their English names.

That's interesting, I never checked the shipping section.

I can see the problems it could cause if you were wanting to cover everybody then you need to have every country, in every language - logistically almost impossible.

In a perfect world, I would say it would be courteous and respectful to refer to a country by the name and spelling it is known as in her own language.

But... in this instance it is very simple. Märklin offer only two languages on their website (at present), Deutsche and English so it would be nice that when a visitor select English as their preferred language that the drop down list reverts to the English spelling of those countries. And the fact that they have made English an option would seem to imply that their own research may already have determined that after German, English is the next highest language used in searches. This is not to be taken as arrogance, simply that English for better or worse is becoming a de-facto on the Internet for obvious reasons.

Similarly, if they were to offer additional languages such as French, Swedish, Italian etc then you could anticipate that all countries would be named as they are known in that particular language.

Clearly Märklin do not have the budget that Toyota would have so they have to strike a compromise.

I would suggest that anyone who purchases Märklin will already know they are dealing with a German-based company and really is it too much to exercise the mind from time to time and consider alternatives?

I would like to think that most / all of us here has sufficient intelligence to work out what our own country is called in any given language, except perhaps Swahili BigGrin - (probably not a big market for Märklin).

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 14 November 2015 01:50:37(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
If you are German and look for Germany on a Spanish language site, would you know what the word for Germany is in Spanish?

Would yo believe it's "Alemania", so that the word does not resemble at all the name in German or English?

The names of the country should be set out in the language of the site you are on. If there is an English side, then the names should be in English. If it's in Italian, the names should be in Italian. And, yes, if the website is in Swahili, it should be in Swahili.

BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by baggio
DVH0hxmiesa
Offline PJMärklin  
#21 Posted : 14 November 2015 07:27:14(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Hi Marklineers !!

If I might add my penneth worth .......

I absolutely agree with you Adrian, but .....(read that word in the forbidden upper case letters) ..........

I feel the "correct name" is indeed what those folk call themselves (after all it is their country)

Hence on an English language website, Spain should read "España", Russia should read "Россйя" , Germany "Deutschland", Finland "Suomi", Ireland "Éire", Italy "Italia"....etc...., rather than the English-speaking peoples of the world (that's me) anglicising the words to suit themselves.

(IMHO)

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#22 Posted : 14 November 2015 07:36:23(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Sorry, PJ, not practical. See my post no. 20 above.
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 14 November 2015 07:45:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
I would like to think that most / all of us here has sufficient intelligence to work out what our own country is called in any given language, except perhaps Swahili
Yes, sure - given enough time and help from Wikipedia.
For Germany I just have to check "A", "D", "G", or "T". Could be "Allemagne", "Tjüschlönj", "Dútslân" or simply "Germany".
For a second round I'd have to include letters like "B", "R" and "F", maybe more, if the country is listed as "Federal Republic of Germany" or a translation thereof.

And this only work for languages using Latin alphabets. "Γερμανία" looks Greek to me.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#24 Posted : 14 November 2015 07:53:37(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Yes, there is no "Oz"

But there is "Australien", which is exactly where you would find it in an English search.

Get out Cookee, a pre-schooler can tell you that "a" comes before "e" in an english search dictionary Laugh (now don't get all upset by a factual statement re how to spell "Australia")

I actually meant that posted comment "tongue-in-cheek" re all the fuss that was going on in the comments on this good forum : perhaps my Australian sense of humour is too obtuse.
I am quite happy with others on this globe referring to us by their language for our country, it is all the more cultural and language enjoyment experience.

In a perfect world, I would say it would be courteous and respectful to refer to a country by the name and spelling it is known as in her own language.

Yep, that's what we should try to do, no matter that at times it seems impractical for an IT world to be respectful of others. BigGrin

Best Regards from across the Tasman Sea,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PJMärklin  
#25 Posted : 14 November 2015 08:08:27(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Sorry, PJ, not practical. See my post no. 20 above.

Hi Baggio,

Two languages seemed to be practical in Canada (aka "Kanada") when I was there recently. Flapper

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 14 November 2015 16:28:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Technically there is a difference between Great Britain and United Kingdom, as one is only England, Scotland and Wales, but the other adds Northern Ireland as a fourth country.

So shipping costs to Northern Ireland may be different to England, Scotland and Wales.

Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 14 November 2015 19:06:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
So shipping costs to Northern Ireland may be different to England, Scotland and Wales.
Northern Ireland is not on the list. Great Britain and Gibraltar are. It seems the ISO code "GB" includes Northern Ireland. Maybe Märklin think it is included.

It's probably cheaper to order from LokShop and others, so maybe it doesn't matter whether they ship to Northern Ireland.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#28 Posted : 17 November 2015 12:43:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

Well, I see that an addittional "s" slipped in, in my original text. I might have a slight lisp when typing... ;-)

I would never try to curb your freedom of speak and opinion, and I would only ask for excuses if I was personally insulted (although I probably wouldnt care, just insult right back...)

So I cant inform you as to why you should excuse yourself. It´s more: I think you shouldnt!

I am thinking about how to make my original statement more clear. How about this;
"Do you really beleive that excuse, yourself?".
Now of course; My question is totally rhetoric. You had just stated your opinion in a previous message, so I didnt REALLY have to ask if you beleive it yourself. My comment is rather an intent to show surprise. As cookee_nz mentions; I´m not a native english-speaker, so I might have gotten a wrong edge on my text, although I still dont think that is the case. (apart from the lispy "s"... ;-) )

Everything fine now? (I would hate it for you to think that I attacked you!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com