Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline llagerst  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2015 12:51:05(UTC)
llagerst

Finland   
Hi,

I am new to this forum. Just posted my introduction a minute ago.

When I had bought all the k73 decoders that where available for a reasonable price on eBay, I started to look for alternative solutions for my CS2 and the rest of my M-turnouts. I ended up buying three m83 decoders. While they all work perfectly, I cannot understand the very annoying noise they make. It is a very high pitched noise, almost like a bunch of grasshoppers and causes my wife a headache. Here is what I have tried so far:

I disconnected all the decoders. They became silent as expected. Then I connected track power to the first one. The decoder was still silent. After this I connected the yellow wire to one of my turnouts. Now the noise started. First as a fairly loud burst when I connected track power then getting more silent but still clearly audible. The noise increased every time I connected a new turnout and finally became as loud as before.

The noise seems to be related to the MFX or DCC activity in the system. For instance, during uploading of the CVs for a locomotive it gets very loud.

All three decoders behave the same way. There are small differences in the noise level that probably depend on the placement of the decoder and maybe what is connected to it.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I have tried to ask Märklin but they just seem to ignore my inquiry. I remember having seen somebody asking about something similar about a year ago but cannot find the post. It would not help either because as far as I can remember it ended without any conclusion.

Thanks and best regards,
Lars

Offline Martin T  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2015 20:20:51(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

Yes.. My guessing is you have CS2, but no booster?
All my decoders were very noicy when powered from cs2. They became all silent after adding a booster.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2015 20:52:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I concur that it is common (design) issue and can be distracting to varying degrees.

The activity appears to be the power supply (regulation) stage and is worse immediately after poweron as it "charges up".
I would hope that Marklin produce a redesign that uses (or produces) a higher non-audible harmonic in the power supply. Don't hold your breath.

It concerns me that, if you are recovering from a layout short (derailment), this activity may mute the ability for the CS2/Booster to correctly/quickly detect if the short is resolved - or otherwise.

Running your accessories of a separate booster is always desirable , to remove that load from otherwise being used for the track/locos.
The m83 (60831) may also have its power supplied separately from a DC power source 66361/66365. This mutes but does not eliminate the noise.
Peter
Offline llagerst  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2015 12:21:39(UTC)
llagerst

Finland   
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Yes, it is true that I use a CS2 without a booster but I may have found a cheaper partial solution:

- I first noticed that one of the decoders that has a couple of C-track turnouts connected was a bit less noisy than the ones with only M-track turnouts.
- I disconnected all M-track turnouts and left only the C-track turnouts. To my surprise the decoder became almost silent!
- So what's the difference? Well, C-track turnouts have separate feeds for lighting and solenoids while everything is fed by one yellow cable in M-track turnouts
- I spend the better part of my weekend with the soldering iron: Decoupling the lights from all my M-track turnouts and signals and connecting them to track power instead.

As a result I now have three almost silent decoders. Almost, since especially the younger generations can still hear the noise but seem to be less annoyed by it than my dear wife prior to my weekend project. In the long run I may still need a booster but for another reason. BigGrin

Lars

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by llagerst
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2015 14:44:38(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I feed mine with the 60822 external feed thingy and an MS2 power source. It makes the noise go away. My guess is that the sound (in my case anyway) is caused by the digital signal.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Hackcell  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2015 14:50:57(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
I feed mine with the 60822 external feed thingy and an MS2 power source. It makes the noise go away. My guess is that the sound (in my case anyway) is caused by the digital signal.

Hi,

How many m83s can you feed with a single 60822?
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline sjlauritsen  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2015 14:55:28(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
How many m83s can you feed with a single 60822?

I am not sure, but I have had 10 running (m83/m84) with no problem what so ever. I guess you could calculate it by measuring the power consumption and holding it against the 36VA that the power source gives you.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2015 17:20:13(UTC)
Goofy

Silence by use Lenz LS150! ThumpUp
m83 is working temporary all the times,while LS150 do only work when you give order to change turnout/signal.
It works momentary.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline llagerst  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2015 11:14:24(UTC)
llagerst

Finland   
Yes, the noise is definitely related to the digital signaling. My m83s were very noisy when for instance uploading CVs from the locos like I said in the first post. That would explain why Martin was able to silence his with a dedicated booster and Soren with a separate trafo.

Btw. Soren are your m83s totally silent or do they still make a weak high pitched noise? Is there anything special to consider or do you just hook up the 60822 and leave the track power wires as they are? I have a separate trafo that I use for the lights on my layout but I don't want to spend money on a 60822 if it does not improve the situation.

Thanks,
Lars
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by llagerst
Offline jkoellmer  
#10 Posted : 01 December 2015 20:22:53(UTC)
jkoellmer

Good info on the m83 and potential for noise. I have a k83 that I suspect may be faulty, and I was sold an m83 as a replacement. I was never told about the need for a special power supply. All of my dozen-or-so turnouts are powered by a separate 6001 power supply connected to an IB Booster. Can I just swap out the k83 with the m83, without having to go out and get another power supply (66361/66365)? I don't want to fry the new m83.
Thanks
Jeff