Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gcanton  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2015 18:41:11(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
In the digital section was a question about fitting a 35 year old class 80 with a magnet and digits and having done a diesel of this vintage I wrote some notes. Feeling brave on a rainy day it seemed a good time to turn my attention to a bigger project.

The ESU replacement magnet does fit but where the first motor had a pancake form with brushes facing outwards in the same direction like a Lime HO pancake motor the 38 had a conventional commutator with brushes that faced front and back. This meant the magnet was not deep enough to fill the motor casing. Initially I thought of packing it with washers but being Sunday and the shops are shut plan B was to put the nuts inside the housing against the magnet leaving the bolt still locating the magnet but holding it in firmly place. I am not an expert on Marklin AC motors so I have this helps to tell which one it is.... Hopefully the picture below explains the plan.

The motor then ran smoothly on DC from slow to fast although they do take more current than a modern can motor so an XL lokpilot is a necessary expense. I normally use a standard lokpilot on a can motor as I have found the current consumption to be easily low enough for the loads we expect a small engine or maxi to haul.

The next part was cleaning the chassis and here I discover my switch cleaner was also an efficient paint stripper for the red frame paint, luckily not anywhere it is visible but be careful!

All straight forward and after the usual fiddle to get the cab light contacts lined up it is back together and runs very well.

Mine had 1.5v lamps which I replaced with 16v ones but I believe you can wire it differently to keep them.

If this is helpful let me know and I will pass on any hints, tips or (more likely) bodges I discover or if you have any questions please ask, I love the older but still "modern" gauge one and with care it supplies an affordable entrance to proper sized models in a form that still looks good but is appropriate for a garden railway rather than a glass case dwelling modern beauty that I worry about bits getting snagged on the vegetation and coming off with little change of finding them. And if I'm spending the childrens inheritance on Marklin I feel obliged to care for it ready for the final post-mortem clearance sale to convert my obsession into their almost certainly different choice of décor/clutter.

And decent colour wiring diagrams in the spare parts listings would make it all a whole lot easier.

Graham

IMG_0225.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by gcanton