Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinguyfromSA  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2015 12:41:43(UTC)
marklinguyfromSA

Canada   
Hi there.

I have been slowly collecting Marklin trains for the past few years. It is my favourite brand.

I also know that the heavier locomotives with metal bodies are capable of pulling possibly 100 carriages or so as I have seen on a YouTube video clip where a locomtive was pulling over 70 carriages as demonstrated by a Marklin club on their layout in New Zealand.

But I am curious as to how many carriages a BR216 of item number 36216 can pull. I do know that it is lighter since it has a plastic body.

Keith.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2015 18:35:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Keith,

It's not necessarily lighter, as these plastic bodied locos often had a heavier metal chassis to compensate.

Comparing my 3374 Br216 (Plastic) with my 39180 Br218 (metal), I can feel a definite difference in weight, but not as much as one would think. I don't have an accurate enough scales to weight them, unfortunately.

You're just going to have to buy 100 wagons and try it yourself! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mbarreto  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2015 23:04:50(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hi Keith,

My 2 cents:
1- One factor that influence is the motor. For example a 5 pole DCM motor is more powerful than LFCM 3 pole motor and for sure it reflects in a very clear way in the dynamics of the loco
2- A heavier locomotive, if everything else is the same has more grip and it will show when pulling large number of coaches or wagons as well as on climbs

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2015 01:35:29(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Some of us would like space to pull 100 wagons BigGrin I have noticed that the newer couplers that have a pocket tend to pull out if under too much strain on a grade. The older loks seem to have more axels geared for greater pulling power. My best pulling one is a 3047 (44 060 2-10-0) my new 39390 (39 048 2-8-2) not so good-Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2015 14:37:00(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I think it often has more to do with the traction than the body material of the locomotive. As mentioned even plastic locomotives tend to have heavy metal chassis. My BR211/212 and 216 have plastic body, they can pull a lot. Even the old tooling plastic body V60 (such as 3065) can pull a lot. I think it has more to do with the traction setup: gearing, axle arrangement and number of tires. My plastic MTH locomotives can pull as much as heavy metal Marklin versions, all axles are powered and 2 out of 4 axles have tires (not that the Marklin models are any slouch). Also, if it's a tender lok the weight of the tender could be a limiting factor, although with many loks it is acceptable to run them backwards in operations (BR44, 50, etc).

Personally I wouldn't worry, I have found for the most part I can pull more wagons than I want to, or more wagons than will stay railed on a corner.

There are always a few that start slipping early (newer BR24 tooling, Kof, Kittle), but really for the most part they are locomotives that wouldn't be expected to pull very long trains, and certainly not up or down steep grades.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2015 16:04:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
with Märklin locos there are several factors. a.) weight/torque, b.) how many traction tyres, c.) how many axles are powered,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2015 17:57:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My experience is similar to Brandon's in that all my locos can pull more than I need them to.

I am a firm believer in trying to emulate reality as far as possible on my layout. Real railways avoid steep gradients and sharp curves as far as possible. While there's not a lot I can do about the curves because of limited space, I've made all my track flat to avoid problems. In the future I would like to add another level, and I would do this by having two totally independent levels so I don't have to worry about the transition from one to the other. It would still allow me to have one train running over another on a bridge or under the other through a tunnel, which is something my layout is lacking at the moment.

If a slope is unavoidable then I would look at the pulling power of the prototype when I decide how many wagons to attach behind my model locos. A Kof II is unlikely to pull a 20 wagon freight train in reality, and even less so up a steep slope!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline utkan  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2015 18:25:01(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: marklinguyfromSA Go to Quoted Post
Hi there.

I have been slowly collecting Marklin trains for the past few years. It is my favourite brand.

I also know that the heavier locomotives with metal bodies are capable of pulling possibly 100 carriages or so as I have seen on a YouTube video clip where a locomtive was pulling over 70 carriages as demonstrated by a Marklin club on their layout in New Zealand.

But I am curious as to how many carriages a BR216 of item number 36216 can pull. I do know that it is lighter since it has a plastic body.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Here are two examples of what a metal body did.....Cool Cool

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlVi5Z_02gU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DV1SYOv9I

Cheers,
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan