Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2015 12:02:47(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Before I came across this form I had to solve various most problems with mixed results. My most perplexing problem was with a lok that I brought at Trost Hobby shop that was located in the south side of Chicago. It was a old, huge, large hobby store well stocked store with Marklin and other items not found at other stores. I was sad it closed. There was a new 33911 streamlined lok in red which I had to have. I envisioned it pulling TEE couches on my future layout. When I finally built my layout and ran it, it constantly derailed. The slider is located on the tender and I thought at the time the tender was too light and that was causing my problem. After a year I checked The height of the slider and I found out it was off (set too low). After I adjusted it to the correct height it ran beautifully. I still think Marklin should locate the slider under the lok where there is the most weight. At this time I would like to thank the members who helped me with other problems that would otherwise drive me up the wall - Fred
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2015 17:10:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
It is always sad when a nice store goes out of business, it feels a bit like an old friend passed away. Sad

That is why whenever possible, I prefer to buy my locos, etc., at a store rather than on E-bay. Problem is, there are not too many of these stores left. ThumbDown
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2015 17:50:22(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
It is always sad when a nice store goes out of business, it feels a bit like an old friend passed away. Sad

That is why whenever possible, I prefer to buy my locos, etc., at a store rather than on E-bay. Problem is, there are not too many of these stores left. ThumbDown

I agree with you especially when we have, as me, one of the best dealers whom it was allowed me to know and God only knows how much I knew in Europe when I lived there

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2015 15:45:52(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My "worst experience" with Märklin was when I was around 16 years old;
An opportunity arose to go to Flensburg, Germany (I lived near Elsinore, Denmark at that time), to buy some model trains. At that time I could get roughly 1/2 - 1/3 more stuff for my hard-earned money, so I set out on an epic journey with a friend, to spend all my earnings in a shop there. (The shop was called "Fröbelhaus" or something like that, in the pedstrian zone of Flensburg).
In this -my biggest 1-time investment in Märklin- in my life so far, included a fanzy Silberlinge cabcar with changing lights depending of direction of travel.
Big was my illusion, and huge my deception when -at home- I found out that the car basically shorted the track out, and no lights or operation was possible with it. Now, this particular coach was seriously expensive, and I already hadnt told my parents about that I had spent ALL my money on trains, so I had to figure out a way to limit my losses. This was in the early 80´ies, and my experience with shopping from a distance, sending parcels by mail, or even try to make a reclamation in german wasnt really something that I was up to. Also I wasnt able to solve this (probably trivial) technical problem by myself either.
So I ended up travelling to Copenhagen and buying a similar coach from one of the many shops of the huge "BR" toyshop chain. (They incidently no longer carry Märklin...). Then I went to the cinema to spend a few hours, and after the movie I swapped the new coach with the defective one from Germany, and made a reclamation for money-back in the toyshop.
Of course this is all highly unethic and immoral, but thinking back on the incident I cant help laughing (at myself) of how pathetic I went about it all; failing to ID myself correctly in the shop, giving up a false address, etc... The stress, embarrasment and bad concience was so huge that I have never tried to do anything similar again!

PS: The "new" Silberlinge cabcar has worked flawlessly ever since! :-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline PhillipL  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2015 02:19:16(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I have to say receiving a shipment from a dealer and finding out the item is damaged. The two worst situations involved ROCO diesels. I ordred a V100 some years a ago, When it arrived I noticed the DB insignia (it was the biscuit ERA III version) was missing on one side of the locomotive. I contacted my dealer who told me to return it (I lost out the mailing cost back to them of course). I waited for months and found out that the shop folks sent it back to Austria for repair. Well I waited and waited and finally about six months later, I received the locomotive. It appeared that ROCO or whoever "repaired it", has added a thick layer of paint to the side of the engine where the insignia was missing then added the insignia. It looked awful! To top it off, I discovered the "goodie bag" with the user installable steps and other pieces was literally missing half of the parts! I returned it again and got a store credit. Just recently, I received a damaged diesel and waited six months again only to receive a damaged replacement. I closed my account! I will never purchase another ROCO locomotive again!
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2015 09:30:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The most difficult problem I've had to fix on one of my locos was on my 37972 Br 34.74 (Bavarian B VI).

When I had just received it I needed to change the address by opening up the tender to alter the position of the DIP switches on the decoder. The top of the tender was very tight and I had to use quite a bit of force to remove it. When it finally came apart I managed to snap the plastic bar that connects the tender to the loco! Cursing OhMyGod Scared

I had to order the part specially, which I managed to do through Lokshop, and then very painstakingly desolder the wires that ran through the hollow bar before being able to take the broken part out. Afterwards I had to solder the wires back after feeding them through the new bar.

This loco is quite small and has a lot of delicate details, and I was terrified all the way through the repair that I would break another bit off! Luckily I managed to get it back good as new! ThumpUp Woot Love

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.