Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#51 Posted : 27 July 2013 15:18:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
You should become a lawyer in the USA,trying to get away with anything.

"De onschuldpresumptie wordt voorts uitdrukkelijk vermeld in artikel 6, lid 2 van het Europees Verdrag voor de Rechten van de Mens: Een ieder tegen wie een vervolging is ingesteld, wordt voor onschuldig gehouden totdat zijn schuld in rechte is komen vast te staan."
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onschuldpresumptie

The train driver was responsible for the speed of the train and failed.
And what is his guilt? Negligence? Gross negligence? Intentionally breaking the speed limit? Something else?

I'm just glad you're no judge ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#52 Posted : 27 July 2013 16:38:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i think the driver is guilt, but no "period".
He must assume his responsability for being irresponsible, drunk, sleepy or whatever............
BUT, and most important to prevent further accidents, because yes, we are humans, and we FAIL, at some point or another....investigation on why there were no automatics systems must lead to implement them and that people who decided to not have them at this point must also take their responsability of letting the lives of 200 people in board of a rocket in the hands of one single human...........
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Brakepad  
#53 Posted : 27 July 2013 21:04:03(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   

Because there is a worldwide economic crisis this does not imply that given countries are crappy,forgive me for saying.

Paul,

Don't get me wrong. I love Spain as a country. And my statement has nothing to do with the economic crisis itself. But the way things work and the way things are done and decisions are taken regarding the main guidelines are just pathetic. But I guess this discussion is out of the scope of this thread and I (and for sure everybody else) prefer to keep it that way.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakepad
Offline NS1200  
#54 Posted : 27 July 2013 22:19:50(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Sorry guys,i need to finish a mission.
See you around some time.
Be careful out there.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Yumgui  
#55 Posted : 27 July 2013 22:52:08(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Sorry guys,i need to finish a mission.
See you around some time.
Be careful out there.
Paul.

Huh ?

You running for president of Spain ???

Good luck, whatever that mission is ... ^^

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline kariosls37  
#56 Posted : 28 July 2013 07:24:54(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I agree that we shouldn't put the blame on anyone or anything until he causes of the tragedy have been properly investigated and published.

What we know at this point for sure is that the train went too fast for the curve, and derailed with tragic consequences.

Personally I would not put too much weight on the Facebook/Twitter comments posted by the enginedriver, as they do not have to mean the enginedriver is taking risks he shouldn't have.

Similarly, the comments by the enginedriver right after the crash should not be scrutinized too much. The man had a head wound and was most likely in shock. Shock can do very strange things to people, and he could have easily mixed stuff up.

Cheers,

Rick

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
H0
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 28 July 2013 08:36:09(UTC)
Goofy

The system of safety with train in Spain seems to get changed anyway.
With same ATC system like in Sweden works much better if political could help more with economic to support spanish train.
Denmark have same simular system as spanish system when it´s locomotiv driver who decides to adjustable the speed byself and not ATC system which is wrong!! Cursing
ATC system are telling to locomotiv driver to reduce the speed if trainset has to high speed.
If the driver don´t care to reduce the speed then ATC system shuts off trainset to stop.
Of course does economic makes a big difference for the spanish train...but it´s political who has responsibility by doing decides.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#58 Posted : 28 July 2013 08:45:18(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
I agree that we shouldn't put the blame on anyone or anything until he causes of the tragedy have been properly investigated and published.

What we know at this point for sure is that the train went too fast for the curve, and derailed with tragic consequences.

Personally I would not put too much weight on the Facebook/Twitter comments posted by the enginedriver, as they do not have to mean the enginedriver is taking risks he shouldn't have.

Similarly, the comments by the enginedriver right after the crash should not be scrutinized too much. The man had a head wound and was most likely in shock. Shock can do very strange things to people, and he could have easily mixed stuff up.

Cheers,

Rick

Whatever!!
He did had responsibility to take care of the passanger!!
The black box did already checked by of authority.
It did showed that driver did ignored warning about 4000 metres before chrashed the train set.
When you have high speed on the road or at the tracks you must focus extra to stand by.
To use too high speed and ignore warning system is not respons and respect.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#59 Posted : 28 July 2013 08:54:56(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Brakepad Go to Quoted Post

Because there is a worldwide economic crisis this does not imply that given countries are crappy,forgive me for saying.

Paul,

Don't get me wrong. I love Spain as a country. And my statement has nothing to do with the economic crisis itself. But the way things work and the way things are done and decisions are taken regarding the main guidelines are just pathetic. But I guess this discussion is out of the scope of this thread and I (and for sure everybody else) prefer to keep it that way.

Sorry...but you have wrong.
You are part of the system and statement is the system.
Economic are humans decides but it´s political who decides.
The most important to take care is to avoid repeat same mistake on the train line by upgrade safety system.
But it´s still political and authority who decides by use economic as supports.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#60 Posted : 28 July 2013 09:09:41(UTC)
Goofy

I forgot to say about the driver.
It´s very easy to get tunnel vision if you use high speed under longer time.
Problamy did the driver missed warning signs caused by of tunnel vision.
But still have responsibility to take care of the safety with the passanger.
That´s way it´s so important to have ATC system with warning sounds inside of the cabinet so driver can reduce the speed.
H0
Offline H0  
#61 Posted : 28 July 2013 11:14:59(UTC)
H0

Just heard it on the radio: now they suppose he was busy with his mobile phone at the time of the accident.

Obviously he must not allow anything to distract him from his duty (and speed control is part of his duty). The train was doing more then 3 km per minute at that time, so one minute on the phone will make a big difference.

But that sounds different from earlier speculations (driving too fast intentionally to reduce the delay or just for fun as suggested by the fakebook page).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#62 Posted : 28 July 2013 12:09:35(UTC)
Goofy

It seems to good to be truth by use mobil phone under the high speed.
It´s just like to let car driver sending SMS while driving on the high way road!!
But it´s correct that it takes an high speed train set to transport 3 km per minute if speed is at 190 km/t.
A human who walks outside in 3 km needs about 20 minutes.
H0
Offline rhtastro  
#63 Posted : 28 July 2013 19:41:26(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the crash over here in LA, a few years ago, with the Metro, when it crashed into a heavy freight. The driver was texting on his phone with other people. Unfortunately, he didn't survive, along with many others, to tell about it.

S-Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline TheFatTick  
#64 Posted : 28 July 2013 20:43:38(UTC)
TheFatTick

United States   
The driver was an experienced professional, whose primary job is to transport his passengers from point A to point B safely.

The fact that he could enter a stretch of track that he already knows is potentially hazardous and not be completely focused is inexcusable. No different than an airline pilot coming in for a landing while he texts or ignores the speed limits of his particular situation.

Unfortunately I see it a lot throughout my industry (I run a metals recycling facility). The people who get hurt are not the new people who are still paying attention. They are much more likely to be experienced operators that become complacent, comfortable and inattentive.

This seems similar to the Costa Concordia sinking - a Captain so experienced he no longer even acknowledges that eliminating rather than managing risks are the integral part of his job.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TheFatTick
Offline H0  
#65 Posted : 28 July 2013 21:05:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just heard it on the radio: now they suppose he was busy with his mobile phone at the time of the accident.
Now the latest information is: he wasn't busy on the phone, but they don't know what he was doing.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kariosls37  
#66 Posted : 29 July 2013 00:03:34(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
According to this article, NZ Herald article the enginedriver is quoted as saying "I had to brake down to 80 and couldn't"

This may point to a system failure, not a driver failure. You can want to slow down all you can, but if you don't have brakes...

Cheers,
Rick
Offline kbvrod  
#67 Posted : 29 July 2013 00:25:14(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
According to this article, NZ Herald article the enginedriver is quoted as saying "I had to brake down to 80 and couldn't"

This may point to a system failure, not a driver failure. You can want to slow down all you can, but if you don't have brakes...

Cheers,
Rick

BS**t

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline rhtastro  
#68 Posted : 29 July 2013 01:10:07(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
How many times have we heard, " I was trying to stop but the brakes didn't work." Or lately, with both the cruise ship in the Med and a jet liner in the Atlantic, " I was too busy with my girlfriend, or let me out" Posthumously with the latter. Good post above by fat-tick. How true, familiarity breeds inattention.

S-Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline H0  
#69 Posted : 29 July 2013 08:39:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rhtastro Go to Quoted Post
How true, familiarity breeds inattention.
That's why more and more automatic safety systems came into use.
Automatic systems may also make inattentive. Full automatic control makes the job of a train driver pretty boring.
After driving hours under automatic control (where only the dead man switch has to be pushed), the train returns to manually control just ahead of a dangerous curve.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#70 Posted : 29 July 2013 09:33:51(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that there may be a case for full automation of the train using advanced robotics overseen by "drone operators" watching for animals on the track, trucks on railway crossings and other extraordinary rail events. In fact, it should be possible for the train to be fed data about train activity on the next block, at the next crossing and the status of the upcoming switches/turnouts.. It would go a long way to eliminating the human factor from high speed rail travel. After all, our computer controlled layouts do this for us now.

The problem, of course, is whether anyone would want to travel on a driver-less train! Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Danlake  
#71 Posted : 29 July 2013 10:37:57(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Adrian,

Good point - it works (most) of the time on our layouts!

Personally not on a high speed train (but as a customer I would expect some sort of automation)... But it's quite common in rapid transit system.

The metro in Copenhagen is a driverless train. Top speed 80km/t.

Airplanes speed/height is constantly being monitored. Ships speed in congested vessel traffic systems are being monitored. Freight companies use GPS system to monitor truck drivers speed. Why is train speed not being constantly monitored?

Brgds - Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kariosls37  
#72 Posted : 29 July 2013 11:04:39(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
In a way, train positions are being monitored and in some places, that monitoring has probably been done for the last 50 years or more. Important pieces of track have been monitored using track circuits to relay the position of any piece of rolling stock on the tracks to a centralised control point for a long time.

I myself have watched the signal panel on a commuter train station in NZ with a electromechanical panel that could date back as far as the 1930's. The panel consists of a track diagram with lights fitted reflecting different sections of track. On the panel you could see lights light up and extinguish, following the train's every move, and all the while using relay logic blocking conflicting actions such as changing points under a train. Of course you can't tell the speed of the train, but train controllers know every move of a train and they are monitored. They would almost certainly have been the first ones to know that the train was in trouble, because it would have dissapeared from their panel.

However, while most train safety systems will react to adverse signals, and some will react to exceeding the nominal line speed, I do not know of any "classic" safety system that will react to a local speed restriction such as the curve in question. (athough I have a suspicion ERTMS might be capable of it)

In any case, I will not blame the driver or anyone else until I know the full cause of the accident. After all, he is human and has feelings, and imagine if you were being accused of the murder by the public of 78 people based on nothing more than rumour and circumstance.

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline RayF  
#73 Posted : 29 July 2013 11:53:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Brakepad,

Unlike you,i do not opine that Spain is a crappy country and your country is certainly not seen that way by the Dutch public in general,as many Dutchmen can testify who are now enjoying their holidays in your beautiful homeland.

In this mornings paper it was stated that driver Garzon travelled the same stretch for 60 times!
Well,surely after driving the same route 60 times you must understand the local speed limit,or what?!
Garzon knew there were some sharp turns not fit for 200 km/h,he had been there before many times!
How many warning systems are needed to correct a nuthead i wonder.
The sound alarms and lights must have warned him and he decided to ignore them,so now we are blaming politicians that the slow speed track is not yet having an automatic stopping system,that must be a bad joke!
If we are going to automate entire railwaysystems we could do away with drivers alltogether,and just needing to trust computers blindly,are we willing to do that?
And who is going to pay the bill for extensive automation when people have empty pockets already?

Spain will survive the crisis like we will all survive it,and Spain will be as beautiful as ever!

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul, a lot of things don't work very well in Spain. Cost cutting due to the economic crisis and endemic corruption in officials and politicians ensure that much is not as it should be.

Your perception of a beautiful country is no doubt through the eyes of a tourist, to whom the country's manifold problems are often hidden by a veneer of tourism glitz.

As is always the case, whenever there are internal problems the politicians go on the offensive on whatever easy target can be found to divert public opinion. This week Gibraltar have been suffering once again the usual persecution we get on these occasions. In flagrant disregards of EU freedom of movement every singe car crossing the frontier has been stopped and searched, causing 6 hour queues to cross from Gibraltar to Spain. In Gibraltar British waters, innocent Gibraltar boat users are intercepted by armed Spanish paramilitary police. In one case last week a Gibraltar jet-skier was shot at by the Guardia Civil just metres from our shores. Spanish fishing boats, protected by Spanish Police boats, fish in our waters using illegal fishing methods, banned throughout the EU, and even in Spain!

As neighbours we are very well placed to observe how badly things are going in Spain. Yes, the country can be beautiful, the beaches wonderful, the major cities vibrant, but ask the Spanish people about their lives and you hear a different story.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline rbonet  
#74 Posted : 29 July 2013 14:04:22(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
I hate people judging people. Why don't you let that to judges?
I hate people speaking technically of things they don't have any knowledge: The train was not a High Speed Train, this portion of the line was not high speed, the ATC system in place (ASFA) is modern, although limited, ... Please inform yourselves before speaking!!!
And I hate reading political opinions in this or other forums that are supposed to be devoted to miniature railways. Spain and Gibraltar have a long history of problems. But, please refrain from using this forum to make political propaganda.
Regards,
Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
Offline H0  
#75 Posted : 29 July 2013 15:27:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: rbonet Go to Quoted Post
I hate people speaking technically of things they don't have any knowledge: The train was not a High Speed Train, this portion of the line was not high speed, the ATC system in place (ASFA) is modern, although limited, ... Please inform yourselves before speaking!!!
The maximum speed of the train is given as 250 km/h. IMHO this qualifies it as a high-speed train.

Media report that ERTMS is used until short before the curve where the accident did happen.
"Four kilometres before arriving in Santiago the track is not designed for high-speed trains and the speed limit is 80 kph, according to the union of train drivers Semaf.
"This is where the accident took place.
"The security system changes at that point from the European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS), which is used for high speed trains to the Spanish system known as the Signals and Automatic Breaking Warning (ASFA), which is used for conventional trains.
"It was the ASFA system that was in place at the time of the crash.
"The main difference between the two systems is that the ERTMS system automatically breaks trains that are going above the permitted speed limit, whilst the ASFA only does so if the train is travelling above 200 kph."

Source:
http://www.enca.com/worl...t-fatal-rail-crash-track

ASFA did not prevent the accident. If ERTMS was extended through that curve, it would have prevented the accident.
I'm assuming that the media information quoted above is correct.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#76 Posted : 29 July 2013 17:22:05(UTC)
Goofy

And I hate reading political opinions in this or other forums that are supposed to be devoted to miniature railways. Spain and Gibraltar have a long history of problems. But, please refrain from using this forum to make political propaganda.
Regards,
Rafael

I´m sorry if you don´t like ours opion...but it´s fact that counts!
Even political could have been victim on the trainset which crached by of too high speed.
Judgeman did got information about craches and did found out that locomotiv driver released on bail because for aggravated manslaughter.
The trial will be held to locomotiv driver.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#77 Posted : 29 July 2013 17:31:54(UTC)
Goofy

One notice to think about before curve on the accident.
There is an tunnel so locomotiv driver cannot keep on the same speed before curve and ignore against warning signals.
Madness!!!
H0
Offline Jay  
#78 Posted : 29 July 2013 17:35:48(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Rafael,

Please don't HATE the people,after all the "the people'' you mention are our forum friends. By all means disagree with their comments,(I am sure it was not meant in malice)
even strongly disapprove if you have to. But HATE is too strong a word to use towards our FRIENDS on the forum. Love

Warm Regards
Jay
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jay
Offline RayF  
#79 Posted : 29 July 2013 17:52:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Regards,
Rafael

Rafael, please do not take offence. My comment was not meant to be political propaganda, but simple staement of fact. I quoted it as an illustration of how things are not all well in Spain today. If you are a Catalan I'm sure you know that some of the decisions coming from Madrid are not in the best interests of everyone.

I have no problem with the Spanish people, and I certainly don't hate anyone. I simply disapprove of the actions of certain politicians.

Jay, thanks for your support.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jeehring  
#80 Posted : 30 July 2013 15:34:39(UTC)
jeehring

On this video go to "time 30 minutes", you will see the approach of the curve at normal speed.....
It takes about 30 seconds to slow down from cruising speed to 80 km/h (here, cruising speed seems to be about 220 km/h....but I'm not sure).

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Mark5  
#81 Posted : 30 July 2013 22:06:17(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I want to thank you all for the really great comments on this thread.
To me this is a very valuable discussion, even if it evokes emotions; it just part of being human.
Its a very tragic accident and there is a undoubtedly going to be an in-depth investigation.

That said, its my view that one needs to look at all the circumstances and that all parties involved will have varying degrees of responsibility…. If indeed, this driver was as irresponsible as he appears to be from the news coming forward, that does not abdicate other parties involved. All kinds of questions are outstanding… and in the end, somebody's insurance policy should be forced to pay out a claim. Its painful to put a pricetag on human life, but families will have to be compensated considerably for this lose.

Did his employers not know about his "addiction to speed"?
If not what kind of review process is there?
Is it responsible to allow so many people to be in hands of one driver?
(All commercial planes have co-pilots, why not trains?)
What we read in the press, does seem to set up the driver as the fall guy to take the blame.
That would be handy for rail company and politicians, but a system has been created that appears to enable accidents.
As someone said elsewhere, companies must anticipate possible accidents, so then why are passenger cars not built with crash bars and stronger specs?

What kind of performance pressures was the driver under to be on time, so that fares would not have been refunded?

One dilemma that translates into MMR might be the interplay of responsibilities between automated control and human ability and attention spans, fatigue, stamina, emotional stability. We want to control the trains, but we also like to have as much automation as we can to take over more complex tasks.

Ultimately the company (and the attendant politicians) will have to take responsibility, even if the driver was "out-of-control" or "crazy"; they employed him, they are the ones who make the insurance contracts.

As part of our social system, trains, more than any other means of travel, are an intimate part of the urban and social landscape.

And thats one reason I love them.

My two-cents.

Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline BrandonVA  
#82 Posted : 30 July 2013 22:18:00(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Indeed an sad and interesting case here. It seems to continue to develop, both as new details come up and also as the media puts a bit of spin on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world...ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

It would appear the driver was on his mobile phone, but it may have been with someone at the railroad company. It seems to suggest he was getting route guidance or something, but it is a little vague. I am sure more details will surface as time passes...

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline rhtastro  
#83 Posted : 30 July 2013 23:32:48(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
I too, understand that the driver was on his work cell phone asking about directions and schedules. He forgot what he was really doing, ie: driving the train. He's been through there many times before. I see auto drivers often on their phones, which is against the law here, who forget what they're doing. There have been some terrible accidents because of it, just like the train wreck in Spain. We had one of those here in LA when the train driver was texting and ran into a freight train. Many died. It's one of the hazards of modern living, I guess. The next time I'm on a plane, I hope the pilots don't do the same, and I hope they can really fly the thing.

S-Bob
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhtastro
Offline Goofy  
#84 Posted : 01 August 2013 09:39:46(UTC)
Goofy

I read in the massmedia yesterday that driver did used track line many times before.
I don´t understand why he did said:"I don´t know what it did happens."
It looks like both drivers and technology failures.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#85 Posted : 04 August 2013 10:06:03(UTC)
Goofy

I did read yesterday that drivers did got 3 times warning by using too high speed before the curve started in about 4 minutes.
The warning signal did reported in every minutes.
WTF??? Cursing
The black box is showing that.
H0
Offline Danlake  
#86 Posted : 03 October 2013 19:07:04(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
See some more recent updates into the investigation (from media reports):

http://edition.cnn.com/2...investigation/index.html

Lets not be like the popular media and forget about accidents a few weeks after. It's now the interesting fact is start coming on the table (and hopefully lessons learned). As I stated before nothing is simple black and white in these types of accidents and you have to look at all underlying causes to get to the root cause(s).

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#87 Posted : 03 October 2013 19:46:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Lets not be like the popular media and forget about accidents a few weeks after.
Not forgotten, but usually it takes months or years to close such a case. Speculation won't help and it takes a long time until many facts are known (and some will never be revealed).

It's now the interesting fact is start coming on the table (and hopefully lessons learned). As I stated before nothing is simple black and white in these types of accidents and you have to look at all underlying causes to get to the root cause(s).
It seems the vast majority of forum users agree with you.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#88 Posted : 03 October 2013 20:44:31(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks for the news update, Lasse. It's so sad to hear the driver and the pain in his

voice. Now the man has to live with this for the rest of his life. Crying

Peter
Offline kimballthurlow  
#89 Posted : 04 October 2013 06:31:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Thanks for the news updates and comments. Very interesting.
It is unfortunate that biased or incorrect information becomes broadcast.

As Peter said, the driver will live with this for the rest of his life.
I wonder if Spain has defamation laws that are accessible by ordinary people like the driver?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline jeehring  
#90 Posted : 06 October 2013 15:24:20(UTC)
jeehring

...The Driver is an honnest guy surely, he responded honnestly . He conceded that he had a short lack of attention and has been surprised. He didn't try to blame anyone/anything else...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Danlake  
#91 Posted : 13 October 2015 19:33:13(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Interesting article on some findings not widely reported by the media:

http://www.railjournal.c...go-accident-inquiry.html

Brgds Lasse
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kimballthurlow  
#92 Posted : 14 October 2015 01:05:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Lasse,
Thanks for updating us.
Really good report.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline PJMärklin  
#93 Posted : 14 October 2015 08:32:58(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Interesting article on some findings not widely reported by the media:

http://www.railjournal.c...go-accident-inquiry.html

Brgds Lasse

Hello Lasse,

This always seems to happen to me!OhMyGod

In planning stages for a trip next year which in part involved train to Santiago de Compostela!!Scared

Regards,

PJ