Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2015 03:10:28(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
A article on the ABC web site, worth a READ
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Ausipeet  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2015 08:24:02(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Very factual article and worth a read. It is much the same here in South Australia.

Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2015 12:49:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
If this panel pictured at the end of the article really helps to attract youngsters?
disease.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2015 18:53:43(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I was chatting with a friend about it today. Kids are interested, but how can you get them from the starter set level to a bit of a layout and an assortment of trains to keep them interested?

Thats the real problem if you ask me. Its already a bit of a limiting factor to get parents to spend ~$200-400 on a good starter set. (from any brand) And once they do that, its a commitment to spend $3-5 per extra piece of track.

That is where you really start loosing folks. New piece of rolling stock? $30-300 dollars for a freight or passenger car depending on scale and size. A new locomotive? $300-2000 depending on scale. nevermind the electronics etc...

Lionel operating accessories are PERFECT for kids, the problem is they start around a minimum of $100 for anything kids would want, and go up fast.

Manufacturers have addressed the need for a decent starter set, but can't seem to bridge the gap between a start set and models for a serious collector. The latter is obviously where the market and the money/demand is, but the entry funnel is stopping at a start set.

Yes used is an answer, but that is way too complicated for a beginner who isn't committed to the hobby or parents to start shopping on ebay/swap meets

Just my two cents...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2015 19:39:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Its important to have a selection of cheap locomotives and wagons in the start-up range so the parents can afford to add to the starter set for a variety of trains.

Kids don't need to have a huge number of trains. Three or four is probably enough so that they can change what's running, and they won't mind if they are undetailed, with no sound, etc. They will only expect that when they get older and their play becomes more sophisticated.

It's also important they get extra pieces of track so they can experiment with arranging them in different ways. For some of them this is the most important factor in their play. The track packs Marklin makes are a good way to expand the original train set.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2015 20:29:51(UTC)
Webmaster

When I was a kid, I rebuilt my layout almost every Saturday morning... This was of course with M-track where you could "bend it" a little if your tracks didn't fit perfectly.

A 3003, a 3029 and later on also a 3067 & 3000 made good playing fun during my childhood together with a mix of various wagons. Getting one more manual turnout or
some more tracks (like 3 straights, 2 curves, a buffer stop or a stubby) now and then when you could afford it, extended the playing possibilities immensely.

Personally, I think the C-track is a bit "kid unfriendly" since you have to fit ("click") it exactly to the geometry - not so much space for creative solutions with what you have,
unless you have a shoe box filled with multiples of various C-track stumps of all kinds... Kind of more like "stick to the rules" than "creative freedom"...

And how many kids really want the "stick to the rules" limitations while playing ??? BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2015 22:52:09(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I think the C-track is a bit "kid unfriendly" since you have to fit ("click") it exactly to the geometry - not so much space for creative solutions with what you have,
unless you have a shoe box filled with multiples of various C-track stumps of all kinds... Kind of more like "stick to the rules" than "creative freedom"...

Having had a similar M-track childhood and having become a devoted C-trakkie, I disagree: To the contrary - being notorious for ignoring the prescribed C-track geometry - I feel to have more freedom, creativity plus reliability with C-track than with M-track: C-track sticks together, but does not oblige to stick to the rules.

;o)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek