Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2015 09:02:09(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Dear All.
This may be the silliest question you will ever hear from someone new in the hobby. As mentioned before my first (and only so far) steamer is the Marklin 37938 P10 Borsig Edition 1. I bought her last February. I don’t have a permanent setting. I occasionally run her on a temporary setting I create every time, on a very clean floor. So far her running time totals no more than 5 hours. I haven’t lubricate her just yet, since I believe that with so little running time on her belt, the factory lubrication should be just fine (to be honest I am a little afraid to open her up for lubricating her motor – but that’s another story). All the time she is stored inside her wooden box, inside a dust free showcase furniture.
The question is, does this very limited running time average per year, create any danger to the motor's life expectancy. My logic tells me quite the opposite. “You don’t run her a lot – she remains quite new”. My confusion grew from something I read on the forum, hinting that minimal running time during a long period of time might create problems.
Your thoughts would be very helpful!!!!
Regards
Paris

P.S. Just to set things strait, my limited running time is due to business and family obligations. I am no “dust freak”BigGrin . I really like running her, but there is never enough timeMad .
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2015 09:49:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Paris,

There's no such thing as a silly question!

You raise a good point. sometimes you find a Marklin locomotive that has never been run in more than 20 years and it runs fine, but other times it becomes seized up solid from old, hardenned oil and needs to be stripped down before it will run again.

My feeling is that if you run a locomotive every couple of months it will be fine.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2015 11:06:45(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Paris,

I have a lot of Locos I often don't run from one year to the next. I am absolutely confident, that if I have run them once, they will run again, fairly much on demand. I am particular about how I store and care for them tho !
I always store the loco upright, even train sets Wink and I only use non Marklin lubricants.
That is except for the Trix 66626 "Modellbahn Spezialfelt grease on Gearboxes where recommended, and just btw, it is for the 37938, which I also have Wink Blushing and only ran briefly when first receiving her, about three years ago

It is a topic in many Marklin related forums about the factory "glue" type oils they use, especially up to late 90's,early 2000's but I think that is less prevalent these days. They were using a pretty light clear looking oil on Class 58's when I did the factory tour in 2013. My new 37929 Class 41 which arrived last Friday, was liberaly coated with oil, all over the wheels and valve gear, but that didn't stop the plastic valve gear head, from breaking off in the drivers and catching on the track !
I got my brand new 39010 Class 01.147 out of the box the other day, as a sop for the broken '41, and she ran perfect straight out of the box. I'd never run her before even tho having had her for four years, and was manufactured in 2007. Also it had a metal vale gear head fastened thru to the drivers with a nice shiny bolt ThumpUp Wink

On oils, I am starting to think a synthetic oil may be the ideal for little used Locos ??Wink Unsure (I like synthetic break fluid for little used cars !)
Presently I use Labells Oils and they are great, with plastic compatible ones, and greases ThumpUp
The Labells 106 teflon grease is great for the likes of my ICE III that has plastic drive gears on the axles ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2015 11:13:10(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paris!
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
My confusion grew from something I read on the forum, hinting that minimal running time during a long period of time might create problems.
Your thoughts would be very helpful!!!!
In the '90s Märklin changed the oil formula (or their supplier did, whatever) and that causes problems with seized motors or seized gears.
Some people believe that the oil will not seize the motor if they run their locos once or twice a year. I am not sure whether this really prevents the "hardened oil syndrome" (HOS).
The oil Märklin used in the '70s and '80s will not have HOS problems. When buying second-hand locos, you never know which oil the previous used.

Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
I haven’t lubricate her just yet, since I believe that with so little running time on her belt, the factory lubrication should be just fine
Factory lubrications tends to be extreme: way too much or none at all.
So IMHO it is better to check the lubrication before the inspection interval (20 hours for some gears, 40 hours for others) is up.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2015 12:28:28(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Rey, Glen, Tom, thank you very much.

Your information is very useful to me. I really appreciate it. ThumpUp

Kind Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;