Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2015 15:26:22(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Dutch railways NS have decided to use two E 186 TRAXX electric locomotives for each Intercity Direct train between Amsterdam and Rotterdam/Breda.
This to minimize delays in having to move the loco to the other end of the train at the final destination.
It would seem NS have given up using coaches with a steeringcabin for those trains,rumours have it that these coaches have a lot of electrical teething problems.
As from December 2015 onwards,there will a Intercity Direct every 20 minutes,the ultimate aim is every 15 minutes.
These trains do not stop at stations on the way and use 25,000 volts AC on a dedicated track.
Service speed is 160 km/h,rougly 100 miles/h.

With the Marklin model of the NS E 186 just being delivered around this time,this is a nice challenge for modelrailroaders,now there is a need to buy a second loco!

In the clip a test train with two loco's,the steering coach is still present,but not for long.

Note the overhead power wires in the clip are for 1,500 volts DC,the E 186 is suitable for various power systems.
The track in the clip is not part of the Intercity Direct stretch between Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

Edited by user 11 October 2015 13:21:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline danmarklinman  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2015 19:43:31(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Just a little note, I thought you might like to know. Brawa also make the traxx 186 as well. It's not perhaps for the hardened Marklin fans, but the one I have is a fantastic model with every last detail a bombardier traxx 186 should have.
Don't misunderstand me. The Marklin one is fine for what it is. But I just wanted the correct details and sound.
It would be nice however, To see Marklin do the new NS coach livery.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2015 19:53:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Piko also do one in their "Expert" range
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2015 10:09:34(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I have no judgement over the Brawa and Piko models,that is for you to decide.
I prefer Marklin because of nostalgic sentiments,a matter of the heart,not a matter of the brains.
The M version has a metal hood,which i like.
With the M version having a specific cabin number,for the fanatics it may pay off to buy a second AC version from another maker.

I am sure the coaches will follow,for M the alterations will be minimal,most striking change are the arrows on the doors.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2015 15:12:11(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Loks on both ends of trains are nice but expensive in 1:1 and 1:87 but if it has to be done, so be it.

One concern that I have is this in 1:87 with both loks powered and on either end of the train.
With close couplers, the length of the train grows on curves and shortens on straights. Now with a powered lok on either end AND with rubber wheels, would'nt the cars want to derail going in and coming out of curves? That is assuming that the loks are correctly speed matched.

This is not a concern if you have either...
An unpowered lok,
Powered lok but with one lok having only metal wheels to allow some slippage,
Body or truck mounted couplers on the entire train,
Large radius curves.

I run both 2 and 3 rail and most of my 2 rail loks have only metal wheels and slip more than the Marklin loks.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2015 08:16:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If I wanted to model this train I would certainly look at the possibility of taking the motor and gears out of the rear loco. It really is not worth trying to match speeds and make other modifications to try to get the train to stay on the track with a powered loco on each end.

I guess it would depend on how complicated this task would be. If it turns out to be too difficult I would forget the second loco completely.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.