Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline arcanjo  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2015 18:13:50(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Hi there!

I have a locomotive roundhouse from Marklin (item 72883) and i have a problem. The leds that came with it, stoped working (after about 5 years of regular use). I suspect that the problem, lies on the circuit board that feeds the leds. I have tried a different power supply, checked the wires to no result. My question is, is there a spare part, so that i could replace the entire set?

Regards!

Miguel Nascimento
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2015 19:11:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: arcanjo Go to Quoted Post
Hi there!

I have a locomotive roundhouse from Marklin (item 72883) and i have a problem. The leds that came with it, stoped working (after about 5 years of regular use). I suspect that the problem, lies on the circuit board that feeds the leds. I have tried a different power supply, checked the wires to no result. My question is, is there a spare part, so that i could replace the entire set?

Regards!

Miguel Nascimento

I suspect that the LEDs are all in series in one circuit, and that a single solder joint has failed, or that a track has cracked on the circuit board.

I would look at all the solder joints to see if one looks suspect, or if there is some corrosion or other suspect looking finish on the circuit board.

One simple way you could see if this is the case is to take a pair of tweezers and carefully short one LED at a time while power is applied, and see if the others turn on.

Perhaps you can post a high resolution photo of the circuit board, we may be able to 'remote diagnose' the problem.

[edit] If all else fails, you could send it to me, and I could fix it, shouldn't cost too much to mail it to me in the UK. [/edit]
Offline arcanjo  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2015 20:18:57(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Hi there!

Thank you so much for your answer. I will see what i can do, and I say something after!

Best regards,

Miguel
Offline arcanjo  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2015 23:12:44(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi there!

Regards!

Miguel Nascimento

I suspect that the LEDs are all in series in one circuit, and that a single solder joint has failed, or that a track has cracked on the circuit board.

I would look at all the solder joints to see if one looks suspect, or if there is some corrosion or other suspect looking finish on the circuit board.

One simple way you could see if this is the case is to take a pair of tweezers and carefully short one LED at a time while power is applied, and see if the others turn on.

Perhaps you can post a high resolution photo of the circuit board, we may be able to 'remote diagnose' the problem.

[edit] If all else fails, you could send it to me, and I could fix it, shouldn't cost too much to mail it to me in the UK. [/edit]

Hi Alan!

Just to say, that Marklin sent me the complete circuit free of charge. I see the "light" again :)

Thanks!

Miguel
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by arcanjo
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2015 13:33:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi there!

Regards!

Miguel Nascimento

Hi Alan!

Just to say, that Marklin sent me the complete circuit free of charge. I see the "light" again :)

Thanks!

Miguel

Well, that is a good result, and saved a lot of hassles.

Excellent news, now your preiserlings will be able to service locos again ... BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan