Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2015 20:57:40(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have three of these on my layout.

I have noticed some locomotives seem to have trouble going over them. For example I was running 39025, the DRG 18.3 last night. At slow speeds it seems to get hung up. A slight push with the fingers gets it moving. The drivers continue to turn, but the locomotive does not move. It is as if the locomotive is lifted just enough to weaken contact with the track. At high speeds it is not noticeable. At intermediate speeds there is a momentary hesitation and jerk once on the down side of the switch. It is not the only locomotive to do this, and I can keep note of which other ones do it.

Is this a design flaw in the switch? Is here some way to counter it?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2015 23:10:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
I have three of these on my layout.

I have noticed some locomotives seem to have trouble going over them. For example I was running 39025, the DRG 18.3 last night. At slow speeds it seems to get hung up. A slight push with the fingers gets it moving. The drivers continue to turn, but the locomotive does not move. It is as if the locomotive is lifted just enough to weaken contact with the track. At high speeds it is not noticeable. At intermediate speeds there is a momentary hesitation and jerk once on the down side of the switch. It is not the only locomotive to do this, and I can keep note of which other ones do it.

Is this a design flaw in the switch? Is here some way to counter it?

The problem is probably the pickup shoe having enough spring strength to lift the loco. At high speed the loco has enough inertia to not stop, at medium speed the loco is on the balance between having enough inertia, and the pickup shoe having enough strength to lift the loco and limit the traction, but if turning the corner rather than going straight across there is enough centrifugal force to have the outer wheels maintain contact with the track and keep the loco moving.

The solution is to check the pick up shoe is in accordance with the diagram in the instruction booklet. The flat surface of the show should be about 2mm above the drive wheels when the loco is upside down 'on its back'. If this looks satisfactory I would still adjust the spring part of the pickup shoe to ease off the spring tension, and try the loco again.

It is worth also checking the points for the height of the studs. With the crossover points because there are so many places the pick up shoe can contact the rails as it crosses them, the studs are given a bit extra height to make sure the pickup shoe doesn't short between the studs and the rails. With C track it may be possible to (gently) push the studs down so they sit a little lower - but if attempting this be careful, otherwise you will have to remove the point from the layout and push them back from the other side.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2015 23:31:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Is this a design flaw in the switch?
I think it is by design - not sure if you can call it a flaw.

Many plastic rails in the centre area.
Wheels will run on the flanges to keep ground contact, so traction tyres no longer touch the rails.

There could be a problem with the centre rail pickup, but most likely you just have to make sure the loco gathers enough speed before the turnout to get over it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0