Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Danny_82  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2015 09:12:53(UTC)
Danny_82

Canada   
I was told by somebody on this form that the older Blue Marklin Controllers aka Transformers would damage the decoder in my digital steam locomotive BR 52 3416

I went to the hobby shop "John's Photo and Hobby" and they only use the older Blue transformers! They got 2 of them!

The locomotive worked fine! The stuff said the older blue transformers are not a problem to use.

Can anybody add more information to this subject and suggest the best model number to pick? Like the 6631?

thank you

Danny
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2015 14:00:30(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I admit I use the older transformers (4 out of 6) however when using the reverse mode it may cause a higher spike in voltage then the digital circuits can handle. In the future I will replace them for not only for the reverse spike but also for the insulation windings (a member got shocked because of this) and the cord. I have two 6646 now and that is what I will use in the future - Fred
Offline witzlerh  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2015 14:06:15(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
There is the metal blue and the plastic blue. The metal blue are the ones you should avoid. It is the voltage pulse when reversing that is the issue.

The real issue is mixing old decoders with old transformers, the old decoders could not handle the voltage pulse most of the time. Newer Marklin decoders have robust circuits that can handle the voltage pulse.

Those of us that have a mix of older and newer decoders are wary. If you only use new Marklin stuff, you could be OK.

Many other decoder brands are known to make short lived but excellent smokers...
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2015 14:53:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
The real issue is mixing old decoders with old transformers, the old decoders could not handle the voltage pulse most of the time. Newer Marklin decoders have robust circuits that can handle the voltage pulse.
The other way around: older decoders with DIP switches should withstand the reversing voltage of blue transformers, but mfx decoders are at danger.

There shouldn't be problems with the 3416.

Brittle insulation of the power cord can be a risk for life, not just a risk for decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2015 15:57:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I use the plastic light blue transformer and I should be OK. Even then, I try to avoid using expensve digital locos with my light blue transformer.

I would recommend to anyone who buys somewhat expensive new locos (that are therefore covered by warranty) to invest in a new gray transformer, no. 6646.

(I wanted to insert a picture here that I have on my computer, but the system won't let me. Why? I also cannot paste a picture here. Why is that?)

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Here it is, thanks to very helpful feedback from Alsterstreek BigGrin

(Sorry for the size....)

NEW gray transformer - no. 6646.jpg

Edited by user 06 September 2015 21:03:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2015 17:32:53(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
I have a 6153 transformer (metal) and a 3374 and 36610 locomotives. I haven`t noticed any problems. Seems to work fine. Welcome to the forum Dan! Good to see that you got your steamer running again!

Bernd
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2015 17:39:13(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
"Uomo avvisato, mezzo salvato..." Wink

(A man who has been warned is a man who has been half-saved...)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2015 17:55:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
A man who has been warned is a man who has been half-saved...
Yep.

But the "stuff" in the shop say there ain't no problem with blue transformers.

The crowd in the forum say there is a potential problem - some say only with older decoders, some say only with newer decoders.

Märklin say using transformers made for a different voltage will void the warranty (or something to that effect). Only use transformers for 230 V in Europe and transformers for 120 V in the US. Do not use oldies for 220 V, 240 V, or 110 V.
I think Canada is on 120 V, just like USA.

So the warning is confusing, ain't it?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2015 18:04:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
but we are here to enjoy the hobby and avoid smoking the decoders of some expensive locos.

As a result, JUST to be safe and not to give Marklin an EXCUSE to void the warranty, personally, I think it is best not to use the old metal blue transformers.

That is my view.

Other people are at liberty to do otherwise.

BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
H0
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2015 18:13:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
As a result, JUST to be safe and not to give Marklin an EXCUSE to void the warranty, personally, I think it is best not to use the old metal blue transformers.
That's sound advice.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2015 08:51:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
1) The old blue transformers (metal) should NOT be used with any modern digital equipment
- The reverse voltage (on most models you had to push down on the control) is activated as long as you push on the knob. This can cause a voltage spike of a duration that is high enough to cause damage to electronic relays/decoders.
- The old transformers did not have a circuit breaker. The only indication of a short was when the red indicator light would dim.
- The old transformers allowed for the inversion pulse to be activated without the knob first being moved to zero, which can cause damage, as the decoder can in some circumstances not determine whether it is the inversion pulse or just higher voltage, which can burn out certain parts of the decoder circuit.
- By now, many of these classic transformers have potential issues with the condition of the mains wire and the internal wiring of the transformer.

2) The old blue transformers (plastic) can still be used, but under certain circumstances.
- These models often had a circuit breaker, but the question of whether it would cut in quickly enough makes this questionable.
- These transformers were still made for older standards and with changes to the mains voltage, may now produce voltage in excess of the designed operating voltage, which can be critical during reverse pulse.
- Some transformers still emitted the inversion pulse for as long as the knob was held to the right of zero, while newer models emitted a momentary surge.

3) The newest white transformers are designed to operate under the current mains voltage standards and will give you the correct operating voltages and inversion pulse.

If using a 220V transformer with a step up transformer, make sure that your step up transformer is not producing more voltage than the transformer can handle.
A step up that converts 110V to 220V will produce 240V if the source is 120V.

In some circumstances using the older blue transformers, it might occur that instead of providing a pulse sufficient to provoke the reverse command, the transformer may generate a surge that will cause the locomotive to move at very high speed.

I recommend that you search for 6647/6001 transformers/power supplies that can be bought from broken up start sets. This is a reasonably cheap way of upgrading.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c