Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vandermerwe  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2015 16:33:42(UTC)
vandermerwe

I have a Kof 2 Marklin 36805 with factory fitted decoder that had been stored for several years. Managed to get it to run with some lubrication. Initially ran as expected with speed control, acceleration/deceleration and directional lights, but then suddenly started running away at full speed. Now I have no control over speed in forward direction When reversing, loco does not move at all with a ticking sound coming from loco. Directional lights still work as expected.
Dip switches 1.2 and 3 on 6021 are up.
All other locos functioning normally.

Is there any way to reset this decoder or am I going to have to replace it?

Edited by user 05 September 2015 20:05:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2015 20:27:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: vandermerwe Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kof 2 Marklin 36805 with factory fitted decoder that had been stored for several years. Managed to get it to run with some lubrication. Initially ran as expected with speed control, acceleration/deceleration and directional lights, but then suddenly started running away at full speed. Now I have no control over speed in forward direction When reversing, loco does not move at all with a ticking sound coming from loco. Directional lights still work as expected.
Dip switches 1.2 and 3 on 6021 are up.
All other locos functioning normally.

Sounds like the transistors driving the motor have died, typically one will go short circuit, one will go open circuit, then when it tries to go one direction there is no speed control and in the other direction it tries to short out the power supply when trying to drive the motor which is what produces the ticking sound.

You could try and get a replacement decoder from Marklin, but I suspect it would be easier to fit an ESU decoder. I don't think this loco has sound, so a Lokpilot would be sufficient, but if it had sound then a Loksound with a suitable sound file loaded. Either way I would be tempted to fit a decoder with mfx.

Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2015 22:39:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: vandermerwe Go to Quoted Post
You cannot reset the decoder, it's the old type with DIP switches for address selection.

I hope your 36805 does not show signs of deformation (zinc pest). There isn't much room for a new decoder. Maybe you can get the board from a current Köf II to have a 21MTC socket in the loco that allows you to replace decoders easily.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2015 23:43:35(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Try putting dip switch 2 on & all other off. I remember I had this same scenario once & played around with the switches on the 2021. Loco did run ok but slower.Could also have been 2 & 4 up but this was many years ago. Loco was a BR03 with one of those 21 pin type decoder that played up. I never changed the decoder but when I got the newer central station all of those matters were resolved. It also helped to leave the loco off the track overnight & try the new settings. As bizarre as it sounds it worked for me.

Cheers

Dave...

https://www.marklin-user...er-port-and-6021-hook-up
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2015 07:21:12(UTC)
H0

With switch 4 up you get reduced track voltage. Some locos will then run slower, but it won't help to regain control.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage