Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2015 06:27:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I just wonder if most of us play with trains on our own or with other people.

In other words, do we "hide" in our basement and putter with locos, wagons, tracks, etc. by ourselves normally or do we normally have a companion when we play or build a layout?

In my case, I am normally on my own. Occasionally, I have a friend who comes by who has a bit of an interest in model railroading or even more occasionally, my wife. I have no grandchildren old enough yet to share this hobby with. Sometimes it does get a tad lonely.

What about the rest of you, are you in the same boat?
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2015 07:03:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
When Miss 15 was younger it was great bonding time in the train room.. She does come down on occasion, usually during school holidays, but model trains has been overtaken by other things in her life.. So mostly it is me down there..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2015 07:53:26(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Baggio,

My friends Joe and Terry and James and I often get together to share our Marklin hobby.
Probably at least once per month we see each other.
It's always great fun to share the Marklin story with others.

There are about 10 Marklin fans here in Cape Town whom we see occasionally as well.
I keep thinking that there must be many more, but somehow we just don't get to find them.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline siroljuk  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2015 08:20:27(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

I must say that I am not on my own, because YOU are there. AT home I do everything on my own, but I have one good friend with whom I discuss and write by e-mail. He knows what I´m doing and I know his ideas what he is doing. My wife is also interested in this hobby and she gives me ideas all the time.

Happy Training all youBigGrin

Regards
Jukka

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2015 09:03:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Baggio,

When building Iam normally on my own. But my train room is just next to the kitchen and lounge, so while I may be puttering around in the room, my wife and daughter will be doing their stuff in the next room.

For smaller project I sometimes set up in the lounge and my wife and I can do our seperate hobbies in the same room.

A few times a month I may take a late night and give it a good go on the progress. Then it will only be me and the doggy in the train room.

For playing it's mainly kids that visit us who loves to play with the trains and my daughter of course.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2015 11:08:21(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
My friends and I do operating sessions on different layouts or participate in exhibitions. I find it very rewarding to share the hobby with other people.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline shunter  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2015 15:31:05(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
I share the hobby mostly with my twin sons since they where very young.
But as they approach the age that games and grils get more interesting all the time I wander how long it will take before i'm back on my own again. Bored
When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by shunter
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2015 15:33:24(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I t is much better when I am running my trains with my friends.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline glight1  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2015 16:35:15(UTC)
glight1

United States   
As sort of a solitary person by nature, this hobby as a lot of appeal. However, there are times when problems arise or another's viewpoint is needed. In the Kansas City area there are not many Marklin enthusiasts (that I know of). There is a shop 30 miles to the West but I feel guilty snooping in his shop and talking trains when I have no intention of buying anything. So I rely on this Forum and other internet sources for information. My three sons have no interest in the hobby. Sad
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by glight1
Offline analogmike  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2015 17:12:16(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
i always build alone. occasionally a friend or a neighbor will stop by for a run. if you are lonely around your marklins i think you need more loks. that always works for me. mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline SteamNut  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2015 17:51:25(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have two close friends who also have Marklin but I was the only one to build a layout. When it was time to the wire the layout one volunteered to help but never showed up but he made up for it by getting the track and turnouts from Germany that I needed to complete it. My three daughters have moved out of the house but only the oldest one shows any interest. They did call me a sexist when I put a house of prostitution on the layout but I replied the layout is named the Reeperbahn so it is appropriate. No grandkids yet but there is hope for the future.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline petestra  
#12 Posted : 16 August 2015 18:32:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi all. I must say that it's very nice to have visitors every once in a while to talk Märklin with and run the trains. I enjoy that a lot but I like being

the King of my little world where I make the major decisions, etc. Even though I've been a Märklin fan since 1964 (11 years) I have never stopped

learning and our forum is terrific for that. Otherwise it's just me and my two kitties (the railway inspectors) and an occasional visit from my partner.

Peter Cool
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline SteamNut  
#13 Posted : 17 August 2015 03:34:44(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
This topic is closely related to one which appeared not too long ago which is what will happen to our collections when we go to the Big Station in the sky.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Shamu  
#14 Posted : 17 August 2015 05:56:28(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
When the 3 boys were younger and I had a "N" layout due to space requirements they had a strong interest in the trains but unfortunately their mates did not resulting in me building a bloody expensive (at the time) Perspex lid to cover it. As to be expected it did little good once they hit early teens so I ended up packing everything away until they had all left home. Realising that I now had the time and cash available to indulge my childhood dream of a Marklin setup the stockpiling began.

I'm hoping once we move up near 2 of the kids and the bulk of the grandkids number 2 son and the son-in-law may take a interest along with the 7 grandkids that will be able to regularly visit. I must admit however I'm worried about the GK's being almost teenagers by the time I have a usable layout to keep them interested. The missus being a "crafty" type will no doubt be keen on the layout scenery/landscaping but I doubt her interest in running the trains will last more than 15min at a time. We both hope that the GK's or at least some of them will take a interest in the hobby as opposed to sitting in front of a Xbox/computer in their spare time.

Sorry for all the waffle (old farts disease) but as to the original question...... I'm happy to lock myself away and play trains on my own but IF I can find people up Rocky way when we move I would be keen to have others with a interest in trains to enjoy them with me....... so long as they don't bust anything Cursing. Biggest issue will be finding "Marklin" people, there are few enough train types let alone "M" collectors in Oz and it is dam near impossible to find anyone under 50 with a interest...... not that that matters BigGrin.

I think it tends to be a one man hobby simply because there isn't enough of us in any given area.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 17 August 2015 11:16:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Although my son shares my interest in trains he's only around at certain times of the year when he has leave, so mostly I enjoy the hobby on my own.

I would love to be a member of a club where I could get together with like minded people and share ideas and perhaps help to build a club layout, but there is nothing like that around here.

This forum has been a great help to me over the last few years, and it no longer feels like I'm on my own with the hobby. By sharing photos and videos of my layout and my trains I get valuable feedback from others, and of course if I have a problem I can ask for help.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline utkan  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2015 16:10:59(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

What about the rest of you, are you in the same boat?

Hi Baggio,

Not in the same boat...Wink but certainly in the same wonderful world....ThumpUp ThumpUp

...thank god! I am not in the basement...BigGrin but the summer sun makes things difficult...Cool Cool

...no one in the family is interested in trains, but who cares.....as long as I live I will try to get the ultimate enjoy from them....LOL LOL

....I have many visitors, friends, who are deeply interested in trains....that makes me very happy....Love Love

...all the best from the boiling summer sun from Istanbul....BigGrin

mehmet

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Brakeman  
#17 Posted : 17 August 2015 19:01:29(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hello,
I was a lonely rider when living in Dallas, TX area, but after moving to Southern California I got connected with the local ETE chapter, which really made a change.
We have almost 40 members with about a dozen layouts. The module SIG is busy and attending 4 shows a year. Quite a few of my team mates live in 20 minutes from my place.
Life is good.

My advice: Get connected!

http://www.ete.org/chapters
http://www.etesocal.org/

Regards,
Juha

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline jcrtrains  
#18 Posted : 18 August 2015 03:42:59(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I was a lonely rider when living in Dallas, TX area, but after moving to Southern California I got connected with the local ETE chapter, which really made a change.
We have almost 40 members with about a dozen layouts. The module SIG is busy and attending 4 shows a year. Quite a few of my team mates live in 20 minutes from my place.
Life is good.

Regards,
Juha

Baggio;

It might be time for us to start an Ontario chapter of ETE.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline baggio  
#19 Posted : 18 August 2015 05:47:29(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Jcrtrains:

Since we both live in Toronto, why don't we start by MEETING in some public place and seeing where that leads us?

If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Gregor  
#20 Posted : 18 August 2015 08:32:33(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
I play trombone in a band, which is a very non solitary hobby.
My trains I enjoy alone, my kids do not show much interest.

Gregor
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#21 Posted : 18 August 2015 10:07:49(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
I am fortunate to have a n scale layout in the study for those cold winter nights and with 2 of the grandchildren living in our home, with mum (daughter) and father, valuable time to play with SWMBO's blessings.

The daytime is out in the train shed, 6 m x 3 m, recently aquired from the dogs as their house when not inside our house. Basically build up the marklin ho layout by myself generally and with comments from SWMBO. My wife is the artistic director of scenery, we share the hobby workload. Again live in and visting grandchildren offer lagitimate excuses to play, controlGlare trains.

They are pretty good generally and i have three small layouts to allow each to have their own train. Thiese will become a combined layout overtime.

Not marklin folk around me, that i know of. This forum is achieving that aspect of the hobby.

Ken

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Ken Mitchell
Offline foumaro  
#22 Posted : 18 August 2015 12:13:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Jcrtrains:

Since we both live in Toronto, why don't we start by MEETING in some public place and seeing where that leads us?

If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks.

This is our way,here in Greece.A few years back i met here in the forum two guys and we start to running our trains together in our layouts.We are much more now and the fun is much more too.BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Janne75  
#23 Posted : 18 August 2015 17:56:50(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Yes, mostly it is one man hobby. But sometimes my sons are also running trains. I don't know if there are so many who share this hobby at my age or younger. I'm 40 years old... here in Finland many are at least +50 years age.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#24 Posted : 21 August 2015 09:12:40(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
Life is good.

Regards,
Juha

Baggio;

It might be time for us to start an Ontario chapter of ETE.

I like this idea! Count me in!

Bernd
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bernd Kunzler
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 21 August 2015 10:34:58(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
There are 7 model train clubs in the Brisbane (Queensland) area, with an average membership of 50-60.

That does not count the live steamers, who have 5 inch and 7.1/4 inch gauges.

It is my opinion that the most enthusiastic of model railroaders will join a club.
But there are just as many persons interested in, and running model trains, that never belong to a club.

Myself, I belong to a couple of clubs.
But my home layout which is Marklin, and vintage Hornby Dublo (OO), are about myself and family.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 21 August 2015 16:50:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
There are 7 model train clubs in the Brisbane (Queensland) area, with an average membership of 50-60.

It is my opinion that the most enthusiastic of model railroaders will join a club.
But there are just as many persons interested in, and running model trains, that never belong to a club.

But my home layout which is Marklin, and vintage Hornby Dublo (OO), are about myself and family.

regards
Kimball

Kimball, consider yourself blessed to have such a large choice of model railway clubs to belong to. I would be happy if there were even one other Marklin enthusiast in Gibraltar I could share my hobby with!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 22 August 2015 13:29:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

regards
Kimball

Kimball, consider yourself blessed to have such a large choice of model railway clubs to belong to. I would be happy if there were even one other Marklin enthusiast in Gibraltar I could share my hobby with!

Yeah, but have a look on Google maps and see how sprawling Brisbane is compared to Gibraltar ... BigGrin

I could see Gib. potentially supporting one club for its size ... BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Shamu  
#28 Posted : 23 August 2015 00:43:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
From memory it is around 1000 sq miles in area (didn't have this metric bizzo when i lived there)
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline xxup  
#29 Posted : 23 August 2015 00:59:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
From memory it is around 1000 sq miles in area (didn't have this metric bizzo when i lived there)

A little bigger now.. We took Mt Crosby and surrounds some years ago - they didn't want to be part of Ipswich..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#30 Posted : 23 August 2015 01:03:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
...But there are just as many persons interested in, and running model trains, that never belong to a club..

Yep.. That would be me.. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#31 Posted : 23 August 2015 03:14:22(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Far from a lonely hobby.

All my best friends are in the hobby. The best thing I ever did was join ETE here in the US. In addition I started the module group in the SFBay area and together with others developed the ETE module standards.

Our exhibitions are a great recruiting tool as well as a lot of fun.

In addition I started traveling to Europe to the Treff etc and have many friends there as well. And of course I've personally met many on this forum even though you're mostly not close.

In Model Railroader magazine here in the US operation is very emphasized and there are a lot of informal groups operating and building together here.

For those of you who have never been to the Treff or Toyfair in Nuernberg you should go. It's a great hobby!
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline morsing  
#32 Posted : 31 August 2015 07:39:51(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Would it be an idea to set-up a members map here, where you stick a pin in it for your location?

The only person I have noticed on here anywhere near me is kiwiAlan, who is still at least 30 miles from me, and I'm not aware of any physical Marklin clubs in the UK. I have no interest in joining 2-rail Hornby clubs at all...
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by morsing
Offline xxup  
#33 Posted : 31 August 2015 07:53:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
30 miles is very close. BigGrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PJMärklin  
#34 Posted : 31 August 2015 09:22:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
30 miles is very close. BigGrin

Just round the corner, actually Wink

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline hennabm  
#35 Posted : 31 August 2015 09:29:40(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I built mine on my own, well with a little help from the FD.LOL

I do prefer to be in a group of friends when running and the little club we have going in the UK is excellent.

Anyone interested in M is welcome and we arrange events acros the country. It does mean travelling but the reward is running trains together and having that common thread of Marklin.

I too have no desire to join any UK club where 2 rail is the centre of topic or what the latest Hornby offering should be.Wink

BTW the next outing for the Bayern Neustadt layout will be Lincoln MRC show on the last weekend in February 2016.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Nigel Packer  
#36 Posted : 31 August 2015 10:08:19(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Would it be an idea to set-up a members map here, where you stick a pin in it for your location?

The only person I have noticed on here anywhere near me is kiwiAlan, who is still at least 30 miles from me, and I'm not aware of any physical Marklin clubs in the UK. I have no interest in joining 2-rail Hornby clubs at all...

You should try to make it to one of our UK weekend events. Ian in Scotland has open days quite often, and I have an event in Cheshire the first weekend of October.

Although it is a bit of a journey for you, there are inexpensive hotels near to both my place and Ian's.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline morsing  
#37 Posted : 31 August 2015 10:10:14(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post

I do prefer to be in a group of friends when running and the little club we have going in the UK is excellent.

Anyone interested in M is welcome and we arrange events acros the country. It does mean travelling but the reward is running trains together and having that common thread of Marklin.

Every time there is a mention of a meet, it's 5-600 miles north of me. I have no way of making that with all my commitments down here...
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline kiwiAlan  
#38 Posted : 31 August 2015 17:04:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

While you may not have an interest in running a 2 rail layout, it is worth going to a local club for the camaraderie. You also get a lot of good ideas on operational aspects of trains and layout design, and if you build your own layout then you have the contacts to go on the exhibition circuit.

But you are welcome to come over to the club I go to in Abingdon. We meet every Friday night from around 7:30pm. The club is predominantly OO modelling with 3 layouts in various stages of construction from just starting out to almost finished. There are also a couple of N gauge layouts, along with a 2mm finescale and an O gauge layout under construction.

If you are interested in coming to the club for a visit drop me a PM.

But I also recommend you look at going to Nigels in October if you can possibly arrange it. The photos on Nigels thread about his open house hardly do it justice.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan