Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chrisisrang  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2015 04:42:40(UTC)
chrisisrang

Hi!

What is the purpose of the black box that comes with the Central Station CS2 60215? What is it called? Thanks a bunch for your help in advance!
Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2015 06:04:18(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
If you are referring to the one that you can plug in track power and prog track powere and it has a 4" leads on the other end, that is an interference suppressor that USA said it is required in North America. The rest of the world does not need to have it. I use it as my hearing aids in certain modes, can hear interference...

You do not need to use it unless your neighbour complains OD interference.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline chrisisrang  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2015 10:08:58(UTC)
chrisisrang

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
If you are referring to the one that you can plug in track power and prog track powere and it has a 4" leads on the other end, that is an interference suppressor that USA said it is required in North America. The rest of the world does not need to have it. I use it as my hearing aids in certain modes, can hear interference...

You do not need to use it unless your neighbour complains OD interference.

Thanks...Yes that is the one. If I am not mistaken, Marklin was not shipping the interference suppresor when they first introduced CS2 60215. I guess then it is not such a big issue outside the US from a legal standpoint.

Cheers

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2015 11:26:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
I guess then it is not such a big issue outside the US from a legal standpoint.
There is a similar box (Märklin 191724) for the EU.

But probably no-one can tell you which configuration suits the Hong Kong requirements best: bare CS2, CS2 with FCC box, CS2 with EU box.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline chrisisrang  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2015 11:53:07(UTC)
chrisisrang

Thanks Tom for the detailed information. I don't know but it should not really matter as long as I have either of the black junction boxes for electrical interference suppression.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2015 12:35:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
I don't know but it should not really matter as long as I have either of the black junction boxes for electrical interference suppression.
It's not that simple. EU citizens who got their CS2 without that box can continue to use it without that box - legally.
I doubt the box will improve the quality of mfx feedback.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2015 14:11:15(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Isn't the little black box there for the purpose so that when the CS2 crashes they can retrieve the information ??? Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper

Sorry - I couldn't resist. LOL LOL LOL

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Rajnish  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2015 02:21:43(UTC)
Rajnish

Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Isn't the little black box there for the purpose so that when the CS2 crashes they can retrieve the information ??? Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper

Sorry - I couldn't resist. LOL LOL LOL

Regards
Greg

The black box is purely intended for electro-magnetic interference suppression and does not have any internal memory that enables the CS2 to start back from its original state, prior to the crash.
Offline Rajnish  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2015 02:27:26(UTC)
Rajnish

I have sold several CS2 systems without the black box, before Marklin started shipping them. However, none of the customers have come back complaining about poor performance of the CS2 or any other wireless communication devices that they maybe having in the house that are operating close to the model train layout with the CS2.
Offline eroncelli  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2015 16:02:49(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
In Europe, each and every electric/electronic equipment shall comply to the European directive "EM Compatibilty".
That means, in short, that the device shall not produce any EM interfering signal and, at the same time, the device shall not be disturbed by external EM interference: that's why there's no need for further EM suppression unit in Europe.
Laws and regulations in US are different, as in many other countries: i.e. if you can't pass the UL tests, you may prefer to add an external device, instead of re-engineering the whole equipment.

Usually, EU regulations are tighter than US ones (US "best practice" or "premium" is usually "mandatory" in Europe)
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2015 17:06:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
that's why there's no need for further EM suppression unit in Europe.
And why does the CS2 ship with a suppression unit for Europe?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline eroncelli  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2015 09:56:58(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
I've to say that you are right: item 191724 has been added with 60215 model (not in 60213/14): probably due to the increased power (up to 100VA for gauge 1).
Or they just included that part in every box, just for an easier management (no difference whatever the final market).
Nevertheless, if no one complains for "noises" (and probably will not), you can connect the CS directly to the tracks.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2015 12:08:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
I've to say that you are right: item 191724 has been added with 60215 model (not in 60213/14): probably due to the increased power (up to 100VA for gauge 1).
The 60214 had the same power (some batches only) and some batches of the 60215 shipped without that box.
It seems the box is required for compliance with new EU requirements. There is a different box for US.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage