Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GlennM  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2015 16:50:38(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

I know I am rather late, but before I forget I wanted to tell the Forum members about a chance encounter during our Eurospoor 2014 Odyssey, and involves Forum members; Mr Marklin and his son Wesley, Dreadnought, Nigel Packer and his son Ben, my son Brenden and I, and it all starts on day two of our trip when we decided to start our day visiting the Utrecht Märklin store owned by Ronald.

I do believe it was Nigel who first started talking to a fellow customer in the shop who was collecting a Growler rail car that ha been in for a Warranty repair, and one by one we were all introduced and chatted with the customer concerned. [Fellow trip members please feel free to add, correct post pictures or anything as you see fit on this thread] During my discussions he said that he lived close by, and that he had a massive layout [I recall him saying around 400m2], and a thousand locos and a very large number of rolling stock, and whilst the guy was very genuine and affable, I must confess I had some reservations concerning his claims.

After we concluded our business it was our intention to take a ride to the coast on the NS railway grab a few pictures, talk trains and maybe enjoy a beer or two. The gentleman in question followed us outside and continued chatting and suddenly he offered for us to visit his layout........................and after some deliberation we agreed. He was kind enough to offer space in his car for some and to der cab for the remaining, and off we went.

After a short journey we arrived at a smart two storey office complex with storage units at the rear, and he pointed out that he owns the whole block and that the storage units on the ground floor are rented out and he has the first floor for his layout, and so in we went and up the stairs, and we were faced with the largest private layout I have ever witnessed, the first photo is taken from the far side on the main room to give you an indication of the size;

UserPostedImage

During further discussions it was not clear, if he was the sole owner or major investor in the project but there appeared to be nine individuals who were working on the project, but it seemed it was a labour of love and he was funding a major portion of the work.

In short the complex took up the whole first floor above the storage units and consisted of the main room, which was fully equipped with benches and workstations, a kitchen, WC facilities, dining area, off the one side was a room equipped with internet access and a bunk bed for those who get to involved and forget to go home, on the other side was an ante room in which there were eight full height double cupboards full of locomotives and rolling stock, also in this room they had several workstations for building and storing models, there was also a small room within a room, with timber saws and wood working tools, for the cutting and shaping the woodwork.

The cupboards house a large collection of Märklin items, including as usual items dating back to the owns childhood. In addition there was a wide variety of unusual and often valuable are items, including numerous Trix Art Models, and an impressive collection of Metropolitan items all still in original boxes and in pristine condition. He was more than happy to run a number of interesting items for us on his test track.

Even more impressive was the sheer number and variety of the models that had been built and were waiting to be installed on the layout. It was clear that there was an overall plain for the layout but it was kept sufficiently fluid to allow for individual changes as required. There was also an interest in detail, and he was happy to show us the large collection of detailed components that had been assembled (and were stored in boxes) ready to be installed on the finished layout, and these included trees, animals, farm equipment, house drawn carriages, and some very unusual stuff. He claims to spend a lot of time looking for unusual items on the internet or commissioning some of his own item to be made bespoke for the layout, and I can well believe it. I have to be honest and say I have never seen so much landscaping materials in one place, far more than I have ever seen even in shops, boxes and boxes of trees, and grass pads, it was quite exceptional.

Within the main room, there is the main module which work has started abut there is a very long way to go this includes and extensive hidden storage area that runs almost the whole length of the room. There is a second module which is complete and is (or was) a display module, and there is a third module, which is a genuine reproduction (in Bemo) on a Swiss valley, and there are photographs showing the original against the model, and I have to say it is stunningly accurate. As soon as we arrived he switched on the main module so we could play.

I have to say his hospitality was exceptional, he took time to explain every detail, he let us play, touch, hold, answered questions and was an excellent host. The day finished with us all enjoying a late lunch (Dreadnought's kind treat) at a restaurant recommended by our host.

I would like to say a very big thank you to our host and also to Dreadnought for an excellent lunch !!!!!!!!

What an excellent day, from a chance encounter.....................more photos to follow.

BR

Glenn

Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 21 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2015 16:57:51(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Pictures of the main layout all under construction;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:01:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
More of the main layout;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The future Swiss station portion of layout;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 17 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:07:39(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
More of the main layout;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A photo that shows the fine detail in a finished section;

UserPostedImage

Two pics showing the hidden storage yard, that runs almost the length of the room and will be hidden eventually;

Entrance;

UserPostedImage

Inside the racks;

UserPostedImage

The mains power to the layout(s);

UserPostedImage
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:13:57(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Photos of the models;

A newly built mine head (model is cardboard from Joswood)

UserPostedImage

Various buildings waiting to be installed;

UserPostedImage

A bespoke built barge and lock scene for the layout;

UserPostedImage

A dam under construction;

UserPostedImage

A station terminus;

UserPostedImage
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:18:38(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
The model room;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Chris6382chris  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:18:49(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Two comments. First, amazing layout. And second, his willingness to invite you over and share the layout with you is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Thanks for the pictures.

Chris
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline GlennM  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:25:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Two comments. First, amazing layout. And second, his willingness to invite you over and share the layout with you is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Thanks for the pictures.

Chris

Chris,

I agree 100%, it is hard to get that over in the text, when we first met him he was so enthusiastic, and he did not hesitate to invite us, extremely genuine individual, who is clearly a huge MRR fan.

He has invited us back next year, and so I hope we will be able to meet him and I will be able to post some progress pictures for everyone to enjoy.

BR

Glenn
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Ian555  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2015 20:40:33(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Glenn,

Plenty euro's in there.

Must have been a wonderful afternoon.ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2015 20:53:55(UTC)
Webmaster

I just love this - shows what this forum is all about.
Meeting members in real life and having a great time as well as unexpected surprises.

May I ask, is your kind host a member of our forum yet? Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Tom Jessop  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2015 21:17:51(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Hells Bells that is a layout to see . As Ian said heaps of euro's have been spent on this wonder piece . Can you remember if the owner mentioned if he was going to open up for visitors or was the layout going to be kept under wraps for a select few ? I would be concerned about the condensation as some of the walls are steel framed & covered with sheet metal . Just once in your life one comes across a layout that exceeds all ideas that you can think of for your own layout. Oh well back to dream time for the ultimate layout . Glen I hope to meet you this year at Eurospoor this year [2015 ] .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2015 01:39:18(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
This is the layout of the Swiss mountain village modelled true to form from photos;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2015 01:45:11(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glenn,

Plenty euro's in there.

Must have been a wonderful afternoon.ThumpUp

Ian.

Ian,

Like you would not believe, we were looking at a box, and it simply said 100 hand made trees on the side, you know in many stores they have the hanging system whereby goods encased in plastic and cardboard backing are placed on a steel hanger/hook, well he had some of this installed in the landscape section and he had all the different types of landscape mat (30x30cm) all laid and hanging in order, very impressive.

He had taken the time to set up work areas with plenty of lighting, and access to power tools and various fittings and the like to build the models.

But like he said the first floor space is free as he rents the ground floor out and covers his cost.

Smart guy

And yes I think we all enjoyed our 'surprise' afternoon

BR

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2015 01:48:13(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I just love this - shows what this forum is all about.
Meeting members in real life and having a great time as well as unexpected surprises.

May I ask, is your kind host a member of our forum yet? Wink

Juhan,

Yes it does.

I am not sure if he is a member, I suspect not as I am sure he would have mentioned his layout, we did tell him about the Forum, after all, we were all at Eurospoor together as we had met through the Forum, and obtained permission to post pictures.

I will mention it again when we return, as I am sure he would be interested in meeting other Dutch members and we have quite a few on the Forum, and maybe they can get some annual meetings and MRR running days.

BR

Glenn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2015 01:57:35(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Hells Bells that is a layout to see . As Ian said heaps of euro's have been spent on this wonder piece . Can you remember if the owner mentioned if he was going to open up for visitors or was the layout going to be kept under wraps for a select few ? I would be concerned about the condensation as some of the walls are steel framed & covered with sheet metal . Just once in your life one comes across a layout that exceeds all ideas that you can think of for your own layout. Oh well back to dream time for the ultimate layout . Glen I hope to meet you this year at Eurospoor this year [2015 ] .

Cheers Tom in Oz .

Tom,

Yes it is, and to be honest I am not sure what his end intentions are, maybe one of the other Forum members can answer that ?

I agree on the condensation issue, but I am sure he has it in hand.

I agree there are many wonderful layouts in this Forum, ones that I would be very happy to call my own, and then there are the professional layouts you see from the train companies, or the layouts that charge such as MiWuLa, and then suddenly out of the blue and totally unexpected you see a layout like this and you are right, it makes you reconsider your ultimate dream layout.

Yes it would be great to meet up at Eurospoor this year (2015) at the moment I am attending along with Nigel, not sure if my son will make it this year as he starts College in September, as far as I know a couple of others from the UK are planning to attend including possibly KiwiAlan and Roger, and I think Mr Marklin said he would try and come as well, I am not sure about Dreadnought as he is coming over from Canada for Marklin Days in Goppingen in September. It would be nice if we can improve on last years numbers visiting the show, and of course enjoy a beer or two afterwards.

BR

Glenn
Offline Dreadnought  
#16 Posted : 02 January 2015 15:18:06(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Thank you Glenn,

This is a superb report, and wonderful pictures. It brought back a flood of memories of that wonderful meeting, and a very enjoyable day.

I may be wrong, but I think the Swiss part was narrow gauge. It was some of the most realistic scenery I have seen. He also had a wonderfully simple way of putting the third rail on streets and docksides. It was a piece of N gauge rail glued down between the tracks, and wired to the rest of the layout. He used long flexible pieces of rail. He then put down pieces of plastic to provide the centre fill in. The rails were track, laid on its side to provide a "channel" for the flanges of the wheels. I am sorry I cannot remember the gauge. It is very realistic.

The trees were hand made from scrap he had collected. He took the woven wire which hangs down from crossing gates. He unravels it and twists it into tree shapes. He then adds flocking to give the trees leaves. Much of his scenery and buildings is made from "recycled" materials in the same manner.

The owner is a businessman /entrepreneur overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. My impression is that he owns the buildings and layout, but it is a joint project with a number if his friends. The rooms included a small kitchenette area, washroom, and even a sleeping area with beds. I think it has been going for about two years.

He had no heard of the users.net. We told him of it and he seemed interested.

He gave me his card. I will look it up. I think he has a web site which shows the progress of the layout.

I liked his attitude to model railroading. Simply put he wanted it to be fun. He wanted the people in his group to enjoy the layout, and the work. "rivet counters" are welcome, but have to tolerate things that are not quite to scale or quite prototypical. Each of his friends I suspect brings a different perspective, and different talents. My impression is that the common ground is to enjoy the work, and companionship.

I may not make Utrecht next year, but I intend to try for 2016.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline GlennM  
#17 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:08:30(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Glenn,

This is a superb report, and wonderful pictures. It brought back a flood of memories of that wonderful meeting, and a very enjoyable day.

I may be wrong, but I think the Swiss part was narrow gauge. It was some of the most realistic scenery I have seen. He also had a wonderfully simple way of putting the third rail on streets and docksides. It was a piece of N gauge rail glued down between the tracks, and wired to the rest of the layout. He used long flexible pieces of rail. He then put down pieces of plastic to provide the centre fill in. The rails were track, laid on its side to provide a "channel" for the flanges of the wheels. I am sorry I cannot remember the gauge. It is very realistic.

The trees were hand made from scrap he had collected. He took the woven wire which hangs down from crossing gates. He unravels it and twists it into tree shapes. He then adds flocking to give the trees leaves. Much of his scenery and buildings is made from "recycled" materials in the same manner.

The owner is a businessman /entrepreneur overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. My impression is that he owns the buildings and layout, but it is a joint project with a number if his friends. The rooms included a small kitchenette area, washroom, and even a sleeping area with beds. I think it has been going for about two years.

He had no heard of the users.net. We told him of it and he seemed interested.

He gave me his card. I will look it up. I think he has a web site which shows the progress of the layout.

I liked his attitude to model railroading. Simply put he wanted it to be fun. He wanted the people in his group to enjoy the layout, and the work. "rivet counters" are welcome, but have to tolerate things that are not quite to scale or quite prototypical. Each of his friends I suspect brings a different perspective, and different talents. My impression is that the common ground is to enjoy the work, and companionship.

I may not make Utrecht next year, but I intend to try for 2016.

Mr D,

Thanks for your comments, I had forgotten about the trees and his way of using N gauge to make 3 rail track in a dock environment, I will see if any of the photos I took show this.

Just to elaborate on what Dreadnought has said with regard to the trees, he had purchased (both copper and stainless steel or nickel ????) wire at some asset sale, that had many threads spunk to form a loom that had been used in a real Dutch NS rail crossing, he brought the wire back, stripped the outer wrapper and cut it into strips and opened up the looms to form branches and then coated it with a mixture of plaster (?) and glue till it hardened, then painted the mixture with brown paint and then after drying coated the branches with flock to creative the trees.

As he said he was reusing and giving new life to old railway material.

It would be great if you could find his card.

See you at Goppingen if not Eurospoor ThumpUp ThumpUp

Edit:

To try to explain the 3 rail track proposal for dock environment raised by Dreadnought (above), I have enlarged a section of one of the photos to try and illustrate the proposal, see photo (sorry the quality could not be better);

UserPostedImage

First you take an N gauge rail and glue it vertically down the centre of normal two rail track or K track, and wire this rail with an electrical feed as you would with any Marklin centre rail. Then on the inside face of the two outer rails you attach (not sure if he proposed glue or solder?) an N gauge rail turned through 90 degrees (on it's side). You then fill around the rail track with compund to simulate concrete or paving in a dock environment (or similar), and then clean the compund off the centre and outer rails, and then clean out any compound from the groove formed by the N gauge rail installed on its side against the outer rails. The N gauge rail then forms a neat channel for the wheelsets to run in and leaves the outer rails and centre rail clean for electrical contact.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Edited by user 06 January 2015 00:17:55(UTC)  | Reason: Explanation of rail detail added

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#18 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:22:45(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
A couple more photos of the Swiss module that I found on my old phone;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#19 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:28:37(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Finally, photos of the completed exhibition module which was behind a curtain and in a corner with limited light, and so I apologise for the quality of the pictures which could have been better;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#20 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:32:15(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Exhibition Module continued;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#21 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:35:52(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Some detail shots from the exhibition module;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Enjoy

BR

Glenn
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 02 January 2015 19:39:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Yes it would be great to meet up at Eurospoor this year (2015) at the moment I am attending along with Nigel, not sure if my son will make it this year as he starts College in September, as far as I know a couple of others from the UK are planning to attend including possibly KiwiAlan

Yes, I am hoping to get to Eurospoor in 2015, was just too worn out and broke from spending 5 weeks down under to get there in 2014.

The missus is expecting to attend a quilt show the same weekend, which is an easy train ride away, about 30-40 minutes, so that is added incentive to get there.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Johnvr  
#23 Posted : 02 January 2015 19:49:20(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Wow,

What a magnificent layout, and such a lucky encounter to meet such a friendly enthusiast.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#24 Posted : 02 January 2015 20:27:33(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Isn't this just the best forum ever!!!! .... what a pleasure to see such a magnificent layout....breathtaking....
Thanks for all the posts Glenn, much appreciated,
Joe
Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 02 January 2015 20:54:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great layout, thanks for sharing the photos.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Tom Jessop  
#26 Posted : 02 January 2015 21:26:18(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Alan , I will have the FD with me when I visit Eurospoor , we plan to be there for the 3 days , could you please advise the location etc regarding the Quilting show so that she may have something else to view while I get my fix of trains . We had planned to visit a caravan show which was on at the same time in 2012 but I have just checked the calendar for Jaarbeurs & that is on 3 weeks earlier when Goppingen is on which we will be visiting . All good plans to go out the door .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:08:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Alan , I will have the FD with me when I visit Eurospoor , we plan to be there for the 3 days , could you please advise the location etc regarding the Quilting show so that she may have something else to view while I get my fix of trains . We had planned to visit a caravan show which was on at the same time in 2012 but I have just checked the calendar for Jaarbeurs & that is on 3 weeks earlier when Goppingen is on which we will be visiting . All good plans to go out the door .

Cheers Tom in Oz

Ah, on asking SWTSMBO I am informed that it has moved from 2014 and is not as easy to get to. Will get a web address for you in due course.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ian555  
#28 Posted : 03 January 2015 08:48:10(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Glenn,

Looking thro' those photo's and then putting 2 and 2 together, would I be better to move a little closer to Manchester....Wink ...Smile

All the best.

Ian.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline kimballthurlow  
#29 Posted : 03 January 2015 10:47:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Glenn,
Thanks for sharing a wonderful story. And in detail too!

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline GlennM  
#30 Posted : 03 January 2015 18:16:02(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yes it would be great to meet up at Eurospoor this year (2015) at the moment I am attending along with Nigel, not sure if my son will make it this year as he starts College in September, as far as I know a couple of others from the UK are planning to attend including possibly KiwiAlan

Yes, I am hoping to get to Eurospoor in 2015, was just too worn out and broke from spending 5 weeks down under to get there in 2014.

The missus is expecting to attend a quilt show the same weekend, which is an easy train ride away, about 30-40 minutes, so that is added incentive to get there.

Great stuff Alan
Offline GlennM  
#31 Posted : 03 January 2015 18:19:51(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
John, Joe, Stephen, Kimball, and el at who I may have forgotten,

Thanks for your kind words, and glad you enjoyed the storey and pictures, it was a pleasure to post after the gentleman in question had made us so welcome, the real thanks goes to him and his genuine hospitality.

BR

Glenn

PS: Joe, yes it is the greatest Forum for Marklin ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline GlennM  
#32 Posted : 03 January 2015 18:24:36(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glenn,

Looking thro' those photo's and then putting 2 and 2 together, would I be better to move a little closer to Manchester....Wink ...Smile

All the best.

Ian.

Well you are always welcome to move closer, we would be able to have a lot more meets ThumpUp ThumpUp

BR

Glenn
Offline Dreadnought  
#33 Posted : 08 January 2015 16:04:49(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have found the business card given me by the owner during our visit.

The web site for the layout is at: www. Stomm.NL.

It is in Dutch only but the pictures give a good impression. It looks as if they were taken at an open house. Perhaps one of our Dutch speaking members can confirm this.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Mark5  
#34 Posted : 09 January 2015 18:57:18(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
One more reason to visit my cousins in Holland!... Eurospoor, meeting Forum members and the possibility of anything happening.
(However I think going to "the Big E" will be my biggest show yet.)

Three things, among many, that stand out from a browsing these images:
1.) The computer ribbons running from the wall to a machine with a monitor; ...you will need a lot of help, man or machine, running this dream.
2.) Wonderful to see long straight-ish lengths of track as one would see IRL.
3.) Also like seeing the wooded farmland around the farm buildings that give a wide-open feeling to the landscape, instead the tendency on our small layout to cram things in.... then again having the space (and the cash) helps!

Thanks for so much for sharing, Glenn!
Great inspiration and I hope many can enjoy this artwork in process.
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Token  
#35 Posted : 10 January 2015 12:00:31(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Stunning. I can't imagine the amount of work in maintaining such an incredible layout.

Thanks again for sharing Love
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Token
Offline GlennM  
#36 Posted : 17 January 2015 20:07:49(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
One more reason to visit my cousins in Holland!... Eurospoor, meeting Forum members and the possibility of anything happening.
(However I think going to "the Big E" will be my biggest show yet.)

Three things, among many, that stand out from a browsing these images:
1.) The computer ribbons running from the wall to a machine with a monitor; ...you will need a lot of help, man or machine, running this dream.
2.) Wonderful to see long straight-ish lengths of track as one would see IRL.
3.) Also like seeing the wooded farmland around the farm buildings that give a wide-open feeling to the landscape, instead the tendency on our small layout to cram things in.... then again having the space (and the cash) helps!

Thanks for so much for sharing, Glenn!
Great inspiration and I hope many can enjoy this artwork in process.
- Mark

Mark,

I hope you enjoy the Big E.

I would agree with your comments, It is great to see the very long straights which will look great with train consist on them. At Eurospoor there is often a modular layout or two which has big long straights and watching and following nice long consist travelling down these straights looks great.

I hope we can revisit him next year.

BR

Glenn
Offline kweekalot  
#37 Posted : 18 January 2015 13:22:43(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I never saw that 'stomm.nl' website before, thanks for sharing ! ThumpUp

The website stated that they build a modeling museum (they don't say it's a model railroad museum).
They started in 2007 and are funded by donations.
On October 31, 2014, their chairman Jan Boterman deceased, but it looks like the building of the museum continues.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Tom Jessop  
#38 Posted : 05 August 2015 07:47:15(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Is this layout open for public viewing or only by invitation ? Just looking at where we could possibly stay overnight when in Utrecht while visiting Eurospoor .

Cheers Tom in Oz ,with 10 days to go before departure .
Offline GlennM  
#39 Posted : 05 August 2015 11:59:32(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Is this layout open for public viewing or only by invitation ? Just looking at where we could possibly stay overnight when in Utrecht while visiting Eurospoor .

Cheers Tom in Oz ,with 10 days to go before departure .

Tom,

It was my understanding that it was by invitation only. I will make contact before Eurospoor and see if we can meet up again. Will you be reading this Forum from time to time on your travels, it would be good to meet for a coffee at Eurospoor as well.

BR

Glenn
Offline Tom Jessop  
#40 Posted : 05 August 2015 13:52:04(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Thanks Glenn , Sounds like a good idea , although we will have limited service for the first part of our holiday , we should be up & running with full steam after we arrive in Frankfurt ten days before the "M" treff . After the treff we will be heading up to the Baltic region & then across to Eurospoor hopefully arriving in the area about Wednesday . I will be checking here at every opportunity where possible.

See you there I Hope, cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline GlennM  
#41 Posted : 21 June 2018 13:03:07(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Thank you Glenn,

Dreadnought

Do you still have his card? As Nigel and I were discussing making contact to see if we can do an updated visit during Eurospoor later this year.

I think it would be great to be able to update this report with more photographs showing progress to date.

BR

Offline GlennM  
#42 Posted : 21 June 2018 13:37:21(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I would also note that photobucket seems to be allowing pictures to be re-posted the third party sites again, as the images have returned to this thread and others where pictures were previously not posting.

ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline cookee_nz  
#43 Posted : 21 June 2018 13:55:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I would also note that photobucket seems to be allowing pictures to be re-posted the third party sites again, as the images have returned to this thread and others where pictures were previously not posting.

ThumpUp ThumpUp

That being the case, it would be great if the original authors could grab copies of the images and upload them to the M-U Server (photo attached to the post, not linked) so we are ot at the mercy of third-party hosters messing threads up Smile
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Dreadnought  
#44 Posted : 21 June 2018 15:05:15(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Thank you Glenn,

Dreadnought

Do you still have his card? As Nigel and I were discussing making contact to see if we can do an updated visit during Eurospoor later this year.

I think it would be great to be able to update this report with more photographs showing progress to date.

BR

Glenn,

E mail sent to you . Let me know if you get it, (or not)

D

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kweekalot  
#45 Posted : 21 June 2018 15:23:50(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Thank you Glenn,

Dreadnought

BR

I've read on their website that the layout can be visited by appointment, both on an individual and on a group basis.
You can send an e-mail to make such an appointment.
The telephone number and email address are also mentioned.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline GlennM  
#46 Posted : 22 June 2018 10:54:05(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Thank you Glenn,

Dreadnought

BR

Glenn,

E mail sent to you . Let me know if you get it, (or not)

D

Yes I have received it with thanks. I have also sent a thanks by email.

BR
Offline GlennM  
#47 Posted : 22 June 2018 10:56:51(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Glenn,

Dreadnought

BR

I've read on their website that the layout can be visited by appointment, both on an individual and on a group basis.
You can send an e-mail to make such an appointment.
The telephone number and email address are also mentioned.

Yes I saw this after my post, I had not checked the website for some time, and it's nice to see they have seemingly made quite a bit of progress and continue to be able to secure ongoing funding for the project, which is great news for them and for all railway layout lovers visiting the area. I think I will try and make contact with the gent we originally met and remind him of our trip and see if we can arrange another one. If that fails I will try through the website.

Would you like to join with us?

BR
Offline GlennM  
#48 Posted : 22 June 2018 12:04:33(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

ThumpUp ThumpUp

That being the case, it would be great if the original authors could grab copies of the images and upload them to the M-U Server (photo attached to the post, not linked) so we are ot at the mercy of third-party hosters messing threads up Smile

I have the pictures but the threads are so old they are locked and cannot be updated with uploaded images. It's an old argument.

BR
Offline kweekalot  
#49 Posted : 22 June 2018 21:06:40(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
...Would you like to join with us?

Not sure yet, depending on how much money I can spend by that time, I have 3 hobbies, MRR, Angling, Mopeds, all pretty expensive and I have only a modest income.
Sad
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline GlennM  
#50 Posted : 22 June 2018 23:14:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
...Would you like to join with us?

Not sure yet, depending on how much money I can spend by that time, I have 3 hobbies, MRR, Angling, Mopeds, all pretty expensive and I have only a modest income.
Sad

You are not alone, we can always use more money to enjoy our hobbies, but at least we have a hobby or two, I feel sorry for people who have no hobbies.

If we are able to arrange a visit I will post it here on the forum and you are welcome to join us.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by GlennM