Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2015 09:10:52(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Hello folks, i have a technical issue regarding marklin digital controller 67025, specifically what track voltage should it put out?

I am new to marklin digital, have a progressing marklin vintage analogue layout under construction using M track etc, but have a marklin digital startup kit using C track and some digital locos to run on it.

I am planning on running a separate digital layout adjacent to / running into the analogue layout. Please do not ask the logic, there is none. I also have a 1955 Br 03 streamline HAMO that will have its own DC track as part of the layout.

Back to the point of the topic. The digital controller is model 67025, from research the first controller after delta introduction. I have 6 vac on the track and hence the locos appear to run some slower than when on the analogue track, the smoke generation is a whisker of that on my analogue locos. The controller appears to be getting warm and the running train(s) stop until it appears to cool down.

What is the expected C track voltage under a marklin digital controller?

Does it have a function of shutting down to protect itself or the trains if heated?

What maybe a cause of heating? Given only running one digital loco at a time, however one loco has been been disassembled to clean up the brushes and rotor commutator due to coarse running and high resistance running sounds.
It is now running much freeer and very well under analogue control.

Thankyou for your thoughts.

Ken in Australia
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2015 09:31:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Ken Mitchell Go to Quoted Post
I have 6 vac on the track
Did you measure that with a high-frequency true RMS voltmeter?
Readings from dirt-cheap voltmeters mean nothing.

Make sure red (goes to B) and brown (goes to 0) are not swapped. Do not use radio interference suppressors like 74046 for digital operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2015 09:46:44(UTC)
H0

Track voltage should be similar to that of an MS2 which was discussed and measured here:
https://www.marklin-user...power-voltage#post493114

I'd expect around 16 V using an 18 V switching-mode power supply, maybe a bit less.

Smoke generators often do not work properly using an MS2 with 18 V DC.

I don't know if the 67025 has a rectifier for use with AC. If not, it's track voltage could be higher than that of an MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2015 13:58:40(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Make sure red (goes to B) and brown (goes to 0) are not swapped. Do not use radio interference suppressors like 74046 for digital operation.

Thankyou Tom, the meter is a cheapy, i will recheck with my more expensive unit from work. Will check the wiring as well. Regards Ken
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2015 14:12:28(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Track voltage should be similar to that of an MS2 which was discussed and measured here:
https://www.marklin-user...power-voltage#post493114

I'd expect around 16 V using an 18 V switching-mode power supply, maybe a bit less.

Smoke generators often do not work properly using an MS2 with 18 V DC.

I don't know if the 67025 has a rectifier for use with AC. If not, it's track voltage could be higher than that of an MS2.

Thankyou Tom, reviewed the linked article, maybe this is why I have gone with vintage analogue. I own a 1970 mini 1100 and a 35 year old MF tractor, spend most of my time fixing non digital helicoters and aircraft. i must be in my comfort zone. Regards Ken

Offline Ken Mitchell  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2015 15:06:48(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Hi!

Thankyou Tom, the meter is a cheapy, i will recheck with my more expensive unit from work. Will check the wiring as well. Regards Ken

Hello Tom, controller is definately wired up as above, red to B and brown to O. Regards Ken

Offline Ken Mitchell  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2015 00:12:42(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Hi!

Hello Tom, controller is definately wired up as above, red to B and brown to O. Regards Ken

Hello Tom, just a followup to our posts a couple of weeks ago. Bought a MS2 controller. Everything is good now. Both digital trains are running excellantly.

One more step towards digital. Thankyou for your help. Regards Ken