Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline davefromuk  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2015 13:25:23(UTC)
davefromuk

United Kingdom   
hi all i am new here and found this forum from searching my name is dave and im from the uk i am building a scratch ho layout still at very early stage collecting track.etc. i have a marklin digital 3323 engine and a bacmann ez comand controller could anybody help me with the settings on the switches inside the loco? there numbered 1 to 8 and when i put the loco on the track the ez comand stop and number 1 light keep flashing all the time is there a loco short? thank you for any help i would really appreciate it to get me going please bare in mind im a newby thanks dave
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2015 17:01:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dave,

There are two standards for digital control of model trains. Marklin use the Motorola system and its derivatives, and most other brands, such as Bachmann, use a standard commonly known as DCC. They are not exactly compatible, although some decoders will accept both protocols.

Marklin 3323 is a Swiss loco originally not fitted with a digital decoder. If yours has been retrofitted you need to find out which decoder it has, and what system it is designed for. I suspect it is a Marklin 6080 decoder because of the DIP switches, and this won't work with DCC.

You say you are collecting track. Is this 2 rail or 3 rail track? The Marklin loco is designed for the 3 rail system and won't work on two rail track.

The fact that your controller is going into stop mode means that something is not right in your set-up. I would start by checking whether you have the right track for your loco and the right decoder for your controller.

Good luck!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2015 18:10:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Right off the top I am going to elaborate on one of Ray's comments.
I suspect that you are using a 2 Rail DC setup while the Maerklin locomotive is designed for the 3 Rail AC system and the axles are uninsulated. This results in a short circuit if such a locomotive is placed on track designed for 2 Rail DC, where one rail has the + and the other rail has the - pole. In the AC system, the + or live is conducted by the third (middle rail) and both regular rails serve as return (ground).

From your description, the decoder in the locomotive is NOT compatible with DCC and can only be controlled by a Motorola control system like Maerklin's 6021 or similar.

This photo shows what Maerklin's 3 rail tracks look like: http://www.stayathome.ch/images/Gleise.jpg
You can see the studded center rail on each track type [M = Metal, K (Kunststoff) = Plastic) and C = New Plastic (replaces M)]

This is what standard 2 Rail (DC) track looks like: http://www.piko.de/piko_bilder/55200.jpg

A normal Maerklin locomotive has a slider for the center rail: http://www.dermodellbahn...ges-m39402/m39402-d5.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline davefromuk  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2015 18:47:47(UTC)
davefromuk

United Kingdom   
hello ray and mike thanks very much for both your replys help i really appreciate it as a beginner i will look at info and pics and report back ....cheers dave
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by davefromuk
Offline davefromuk  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2015 19:04:17(UTC)
davefromuk

United Kingdom   
hi yes im collecting 2 rail track fleiscmann profi and this loco 3323 has a slider rail underneath so i guess mistake number 1 already made.Blushing . i made the mistake of thinking when it said it runs on rail or pantograph i didnt know it had to have a 3 rail system at least i know now thanks for your advice its helped a newbie a lot cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by davefromuk