Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2015 10:32:51(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I'm trying to build my first kit, the Faller diesel station, but not sure I'm doing it right. I assembled some of the items first, tanks, ladders, pumps etc. Then sprayed primer on it, but is that really needed? Are the enamel paints not plastic binding?

I'v then tried to paint the items before gluing it together, but that means the glue will be binding paint, not plastic. Is that bad? I've now assembled some of the parts, but it still needs more painting.

Have I done this completely wrong? What's the correct way of building and painting?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2015 11:42:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You're doing it in more or less the order I use.

1 - Assemble the major components
2 - Paint assembled parts and small details on the sprue
3 - Add details to main assemblies, including any decals
4 - Touch up and finish with light weathering if desired

I don't use primer, as I find Humbrol enamels adhere well enough to bare plastic.
I use Humbrol matt enamel paint, even if the paint is the same colour as the plastic. This kills the unrealistic plastic sheen.
I try to not paint edges that will be glued, but the glue will dissolve the paint anyway so it's not too important.
Repeated cleaning of house dust from the painted surfaces eventually gives a "weathered" effect, so I tend not to add too much weathering to my buildings.

Also I don't always follow the recommended instructions as this sometimes makes it difficult to paint components in the right order. I plan the assembly with painting in mind. If you're going to add little people make sure you take this into account at the planning stage too. You may want to have them inside a building so put them in before adding the roof!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2015 13:15:10(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I paint everything first as I don't like the original colors most of the time and also I lightly weather at the same time. Using a liquid glue with paint doesn't work too good but using Testors in a tube keeps everything together. It is easier to paint parts when they are still on the spruces and doing minor touchup later.
Offline pab  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2015 18:17:57(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
It depends on the building.
For some parts it's better to paint those before assembling. Like small ones, things that need to be glued on other parts, highlighting of the brickwork and so on.
The finishing weathering need to be done after completion of the building. You weathering should give a good overall impression and not the have the idea of separate parts.

I use mostly water based paint (like revel), no primer.
Offline morsing  
#5 Posted : 07 April 2015 19:13:31(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Thanks,

It sounds like I'm not too far off... I suppose I'll have to put up some photos now :-)

-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline Pianne  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2015 09:50:02(UTC)
Pianne

Personally, I like to assemble as much as possible before applying any paint.
This gives the best, uniform covering imho. Off course, some parts are no longer accessible after assembly, so these should be painted beforehand.
After assembly, I cut and file away any evidence of sprue connections and moulding flash before painting. On some kits, it also pays to touch-up the glued seems (especially on two-part round objects like tanks etc.).

Also, glue works best on unpainted parts, any paint should be removed from the surface before applying glue.

Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline jcrtrains  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2015 20:50:42(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I paint first. Some parts that aren't that likely to show the plastic look I leave; window frames are the most likely. I paint primarily with Tamiya paints. Then glue primarily using Weldbond white glue. Then paint touch up.

Same thing for years. Just got out a bunch of 30+ year old Vollmer buildings to add into space on the layout; I will post progress pictures on the layout shortly.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains