Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rogerabbit  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2015 14:51:18(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   

Hello. I am new to this excellent site - so I hope you will forgive what you will probably consider to be a very simple query.

I have just purchased a Marklin BR 50 Heavy Goods Steam Engine. The model is Marklin 3684 - AC digital. I want to adapt the model to run on old-fashioned standard M track. I have researched and discovered that it is fitted with a 6080 decoder. There is a slider beneath the tender so I assume this will pick up from the centre studs once the decoder is removed. It seems from the plans I have found that I will need to de-solder several coloured wires to remove the decoder. Before I destroy my model can I ask for your advice !

1. Have I got this right - and will the model run on three rail AC once I have removed the decoder ?
2. Is there anything else I need to do to convert the model ?

I'm sure your wondering why on earth I bought an expensive digital model when a much cheaper second hand non-digital one would have served the purpose. Well, I acquired this loco in mint condition for a fantastic price ! And of course I can sell on the decoder once I have removed it.

I would really appreciate your advice.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2015 14:56:12(UTC)
H0

Hi, Roger,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: rogerabbit Go to Quoted Post
1. Have I got this right - and will the model run on three rail AC once I have removed the decoder?
It won't run unless you add a reverse unit. Well, without reverse unit you can run in a single direction only.

With the decoder left in place it can run on analogue tracks. Why remove the decoder?

With decoder, lights will not work in conventional operation. Beside that there is no need to remove the decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rogerabbit  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2015 15:10:34(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Roger,
Welcome to the forum.
1. Have I got this right - and will the model run on three rail AC once I have removed the decoder?
It won't run unless you add a reverse unit. Well, without reverse unit you can run in a single direction only.

With the decoder left in place it can run on analogue tracks. Why remove the decoder?

With decoder, lights will not work in conventional operation. Beside that there is no need to remove the decoder.

Thank you so much, Tom. The model has not been delivered yet. When it does I will NOT remove the decoder! I had thought the decoder might bypass the conventional drive.

Is there any way that I can get the lights working ? Or is this tricky ?

Thanks again. Roger.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2015 15:37:11(UTC)
H0

Is there any way that I can get the lights working?
Simple and cheap trick: bypass the decoder, connect the lights directly to the slider.

Or replace the decoder for a modern type - this is neither simple nor cheap. I wouldn't replace the decoder as long as you want to drive analogue.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rogerabbit  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2015 15:43:00(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Is there any way that I can get the lights working?
Simple and cheap trick: bypass the decoder, connect the lights directly to the slider.

Or replace the decoder for a modern type - this is neither simple nor cheap. I wouldn't replace the decoder as long as you want to drive analogue.

Thanks Tom. You are a star ! This I will do.

Very best. Roger.
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2015 20:19:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Rather than wiring the lights directly to the slider, you may wish to consider upgrading the old 6080 decoder to a newer one which provides lighting in both digital and analog use. You could use either a 6090 or more recent decoder. Some upgrades may require adaptation of the magnet and other motor parts as well. There may be a kit from Maerklin that would fit your model and provide all of the parts, decoder in one kit.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Renato  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2015 22:48:02(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If I were you I should use the locomotive as it is without any modification (less cost and no trouble on changing the decoder).

Cheers

Renato
Offline rogerabbit  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2015 22:56:42(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   
Many thanks to everyone who helped with this. Much appreciated. The loco arrived and of course everything was exactly as you indicated. Runs beautifully with no modification. I managed to connect the bulb to the slider pickup without soldering ! So it's easy to bring the loco back to its original condition if needed. Lights are working perfectly - but a very odd thing. Confused Perhaps someone can explain it.

When the bulb is lit it sheds light all over the place - underneath the loco, beneath the front lamps and through the funnel ! I can't think Marklin would intend this to happen. It leads me to suspect that something is missing - maybe a smoke unit which has been removed. Looks awful. Anyway, I think I can mask the light internally - inside the body- like I mask my Faller buildings!

What do you think ? And many, many thanks again. Roger.