Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2015 07:17:16(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I finally got a MS2 and start to digitize my layout. I have an 8 ft x 4 ft layout and will run maximum of two locos at the same time. I do have questions for the experts in this forum.

I plan to use my old blue transformers to power the catenary for the analog electric locos since I like the realism of it. I’ll remove the sliders from the electric locos. I also want to power the signals and switches with the blue transformers. Then I’ll use the MS2 and the Switched Mode Power pack to control the ground powered digitized steam and diesel locos.

1) Is this setup workable?
2) If yes, I’ll need to connect the grounds from the two power sources, right?
3) Any suggestion will be appreciated very much.

Thank you for your help.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2015 10:19:59(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Danger!

1:
The blue transformer will deliver an alternating current for your catenary, but the railbox from the MS2 will deliver a digital current for your track. I am not an expert on running with the catenary, but I would assume that the loco will still return the current through the track. This will connect your two power sources and that is not good.

2:
You cannot connect the grounds since the one is from alternating current and the other is a digital signal.

3:
I would recommend putting a decoder in your locomotives and run them from the MS2 and forget about the blue transformer.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2015 10:45:26(UTC)
H0

Hi all!
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Danger! [...] This will connect your two power sources and that is not good.
Why is this not good?

You cannot connect the grounds since the one is from alternating current and the other is a digital signal.
Why can't this be done?
Märklin recommends doing this e.g. when connecting level crossings to digital layouts. This can be done and there is no general problem.

Re 3: The biggest real danger is a connection between the catenary and the centre rail while both are on power. Therefore it is a good idea to remove the slider from all locos fed from catenary.
I'd also recommend to set the transformer to 0 and the MS2 to STOP whenever you fiddle with trains, especially when using tin-plate coaches.
In the worst case you fry the track box 60113. A new track box from a starter set can be bought for EUR 30 or less. With a li'l bit of extra care you won't fry it.

Similar threads:
https://www.marklin-user...-6647-grounds#post405837
https://www.marklin-user...igital-Layout#post288234
https://www.marklin-user...tal-operation#post280961
https://www.marklin-user...alog-Supplies#post433696
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline eroncelli  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2015 11:22:28(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
I can only confirm that Tom's statements are correct: just pay a bit of attention and everything will go smoothly.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2015 12:16:58(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Märklin recommends doing this e.g. when connecting level crossings to digital layouts. This can be done and there is no general problem.

Okay, "cannot connect", is better put as "should not connect". Which is closer to what I meant.

I would expect that if you connect the railbox's brown wire to the brown wire from the blue transformer you would create a World of potential problems.

Like e.g. when an analogue old school loco changes direction, or if you some how have a problem with the wiring, or if the loco catenary change-over contact is damaged. You can end up frying the railbox.

There are so many potential problems if you ask me. I just do not think that analogue and digital belong together.
Søren from Denmark
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2015 13:10:26(UTC)
H0

Like e.g. when an analogue old school loco changes direction [...]
Are you referring to a reversing loop? The question obviously came from a three-rail user and changing the direction shouldn't be a problem.

[...] or if you some how have a problem with the wiring [...]
Yep, should be double-checked before applying power (using e.g. a continuity tester).

[...] or if the loco catenary change-over contact is damaged.
Three-rail: remove the centre rail slider and a damaged contact won't do any harm.

You can end up frying the railbox.
Take extra care when doing this with a CS2. The MS2 is far less expensive and the risk is IMHO very small. Just turn off the catenary when anything goes wrong and when you change trains.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjlauritsen  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2015 13:26:43(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Like e.g. when an analogue old school loco changes direction [...]
Are you referring to a reversing loop? The question obviously came from a three-rail user and changing the direction shouldn't be a problem.

Nope I was not. I know perfectly well that the question came from a three rail user. I was thinking of the spike in voltage that is caused when the blue transformer tells the loco to change direction.

But never mind, I would never do it because of the risks involved. Yes, they are small, but they are there, and if you do not take care, you might end up destroying something. That is basically enough reason for me to not mix analogue and digital.
Søren from Denmark
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2015 15:07:20(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Views messages in topic : 417
You can run digital thru the rails and have analogue thru the catenary. It has been done and my group has done it....carefully. Just make the ground common from both sources...that means the brown wires are connected. Never intentionally have the reds come in contact with each other.

Old loks out of the box from Marklin that have a switch to get power from above or below do a good job of isolating the positive power but if your e-lok has been worked on, removing the slider is good insurance.

The issue that we argue about is the effect of the reverse pulse to reverse the analogue loks. The voltage is quite high...is it high enough to create a back pulse thru the ground into your digital system and then affect older decoders that can't handle the spike....or even the station!

I will ask around some on this issue. I believe that to be cautious, we did not reverse the analogue lok while the digital was running. We had many digital loks on the layout so did not want to risk it at the train show. Hitting STOP on the MS or CS was done when analogue switching.

The other issue is the analogue transformer. The old blue metal transformer has issues with internal insulation that may feed raw 110/220V power, ensure that you check for that. The blue plastic transformer and the metal transformer created a raw voltage impulse. It is recommended that the grey transformer be used as it has filters to limit the max voltage when reversing, thus giving your decoders less electric bang.

Using your older transformers to power the accessories is ok. Just avoid having any power touching the rails...which is hard to do with M track when the rails are connected to the ballast. A voltage meter will be handy when wiring this up.

I will let you know more after I talk with the guys. Hopefully others will chime in.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2015 17:03:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
The issue that we argue about is the effect of the reverse pulse to reverse the analogue loks. The voltage is quite high...is it high enough to create a back pulse thru the ground into your digital system and then affect older decoders that can't handle the spike....or even the station!
In scale 1:1 in Germany we have locos that use 16,000 volts at 16.7 cycles per second, street cars that use 800 volts DC, and household voltages with three phases at 230 volts and 50 cycles per second.
And these five voltages share the same ground. The return wire for locos are the rails - and you can touch them at level crossings.

Which negative effects do we expect from 30 volts reversing voltage when we do not see negative effects from 16 volts driving voltage?

Even Märklin write it can be done. And Märklin usually take the safe side with their documents.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Jay  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2015 18:14:45(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi HO,
if I am not mistaken you should also have 380 volts AC between phases.
However I am not sure if this is the industrial standard in Germany as it is
here in South Africa.Will appreciate a reply as to what is your industrial standard.
Best wishes
Jay
PS sorry for being off topic

Edited by user 09 July 2015 21:35:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline witzlerh  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2015 22:06:37(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Tom, you are correct that when all things are equal and running properly, electrical ground is electrical ground.... but I also have measured the voltage of ground vs the ground on copper water pipes (true ground) and still see low voltage...

It is when not everything is running well or the odd slider touching a rail when the pukos are not high enough or the slider bent, that we may have high voltage hitting ground directly...and working its way back through ground.

New decoders have strong diodes to prevent this but the older decoders, the diodes were weak and could burn out.

My approach to this is have a very simple system and work from there to add on the electrical options. All it takes is a couple of bad wiring connections and you will have electrical problems. I would start with just the track and overhead power and move the switches manually. Once you have good running, then add electric switches. Once that goes well, then add lights....

I have M track and that does not always work well. I heard that others had to electrically isolate the accessories to get mixed power sources to work. I know that the bulbs rely on the ballast for ground.

Hence my earlier comment that yes, it is possible... but be careful. Being careful what to watch for also gives you the ability to determine if is worth attempting this or not based on one's own electrical knowledge and experience, as well as decent troubleshooting skills. I have given some things to watch out for and if these elements are in good order, then the risk of decoder burn out is low.

BTW. On my old M-track layout, I did have separate power supplies. After still getting shocked while cleaning up a nasty derailment that cause rolling stock to get in contact with accessory power (and cause burn marks on a coach under-frame), I rigged up a big power switch that killed all transformers at once.

I run C track now and every accessory is much easily isolated if needed.
Harald
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#12 Posted : 10 July 2015 06:06:28(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you everyone for your answers and suggestions.

I must add that I'm using M-track and from the replies, that makes it more complicated.

Any precaution or isolation I need to put in for the M-track switches and signals?

Thank you again.
Offline witzlerh  
#13 Posted : 10 July 2015 15:07:02(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
OK, glad that you are stating M track. Good track...at least much better than NA track.

I am going off my memory here it has been 6 years since I had my M-track layout (in digital)... to start, do not power the lights yet.

I am definitely sure that they ground out to the ballast. One of my friends did isolate the bulbs to make things more reliable...I think the main issue is this. Bulbs are very crude inductors (vs capacitors that most hear about). If you have enough of them, the digital signal gets distorted and your loks get confused. LED already runs DC and has resistors and diodes to clean the power up before it hits the lights. I only has 4 or so lit switches, so it was OK...I think

I am pretty sure that the switch motor does not ground out to the ballast, but if it does, electrical tape pads will isolate it. It has bee 6 years since I has my M-track layout...I did have separate power for the switch motors (7 of them) with no issues...

Signals are going to be interesting. Those will be track powered but they also stop the + power. Will you use the signals only for digital track power or only for catenary. You can use it for both analogue and digital but you will need the signal to power a double pole, double throw relay or something like that to separate the digital and analogue power.

If you have some electrical skills, go step by step, working with your least valuable loks to get it working and then trying more valuable loks before going on to the next step.

Again, the issue with bulbs and switch motors. A few items can be tolerated by the digital system to have common ground....at least at the track level. Once the level of inductance gets beyond a certain point, problems start to occur. (Coils cause inductance, and you have a big coil in the switch motor and a tiny one in the bulb).

Harald
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 10 July 2015 19:42:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I must add that I'm using M-track and from the replies, that makes it more complicated.
I don't think this makes things more complicated.
Things get more complicated when you try to separate turnout motors from turnout lights. However I don't see an advantage in doing this if you want to run lights and motors from analogue power.

Here's the URL for a Märklin manual (copy it to the address field of your browser):
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/74920_betrieb.pdf

See page 13: common ground between an analogue transformer feeding the level crossing and the digital controller.
The level crossing has light bulbs (inductance) and large coils (crude inductance). No warning with respect to digital operation is given.

We know that coils can induct high voltages. With the 74490/1/2 turnout motors for C track the induced voltages are so high, they frequently destroy the cut-off switches inside the turnout motor.
But I never heard about destroyed decoders or destroyed controllers.

When you look at the older threads about the same question you will find several testimonials from people who operate their layouts this way.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Tower  
#15 Posted : 11 July 2015 19:46:43(UTC)
Tower

Hi All,

I have done this before long ago when I first started getting back into this hobby of ours.

Connecting the two "Browns" is not a problem (in Fact I had problems when I did not do this recently).

I used a simple on-off-on toggle switch to make sure the two "red" signal never meet. I used only M-track and no catanary to do this at the time.

The obvious problem was that I was never able to run in both modes at the same time.

I must stress that I used the more modern light blue transformers and not he older dark blue ones.

hopes this helps.

Enjoy

Leon
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#16 Posted : 23 July 2015 07:11:36(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Here's what I'll do:
Use the blue transformers to power the catenary for analog electric locos and turnouts.
Remove the sliders on electric locos and run turnouts manually first.
Run digital power on the ground tracks for digital steam and diesel locos and signals.
No signal control for the electric locos.