Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Deborail  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2015 09:32:36(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Hi Friends,

I have some new trains, but I haven't uploaded any on the net for you to see, I hope I will do so soon.
My 4 year old son is with me so all trains are in hibernation....

I am visiting Japan for a week in August, and I am busy planning my visits and I am also getting a JR Rail Pass.

I would like to ask those who may know:

Are there H0 trains in Japan?

I would love to get me a simple DCC H0 bullet train, for my collection...

And it would be nice to actually visit a store and buy it from there. Would it be very expensive?

Regardless of whether I do get a train or not, I am planning to use the real thing to travel around a bit.

George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2015 09:55:42(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi George

You might like to pay a visit to (or even become a member of) this forum:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/

My understanding is that there are some Japanese HO scale trains, but the most popular scale is N.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2015 09:55:46(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I would be nice to buy the Shinkansen type 0 from KTM if you can find it.
This was the first bullittrain,operational in 1964!

https://www.marklin-user...lly/KTM_Shinkansen_5.jpg

I think the type 0 (now retired) is still the most beautiful type Shinkansen,with its airplane like nose.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline DamonKelly  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2015 10:45:43(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
George,

Try this thread: Japanese Trains in HO
or: Zoukei-Mura Shinkansen Series 0 - H0 Scale Make sure you buy a decoder as well!
or: Any good MMR shops in Tokyo or Ohta

In particular this post.

A few shops:
Imon - I bought my HO 0-series set here
Rheingold Tokyo

The search term is shinkansen (新幹線)
Cheers,
Damon
Offline shannon  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2015 16:33:50(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: Deborail Go to Quoted Post
Hi Friends,

Tomix makes a variety of HO locomotives and EMUs with great details but it seems not to be DCC or DCC Ready.
Digitalizing MRR in Japan is not common. You can hardly find digital accessaries made in Japan except for KATO.

In general, bodyshell is made of plastic and the pantograph is dummy if you mind the material and the pantograph with the function of taking power by catenary wires.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp...ix/menu/index_hojoho.htm
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2015 19:16:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post
Hi Friends,

Tomix makes a variety of HO locomotives and EMUs with great details but it seems not to be DCC or DCC Ready.
Digitalizing MRR in Japan is not common. You can hardly find digital accessaries made in Japan except for KATO.

In general, bodyshell is made of plastic and the pantograph is dummy if you mind the material and the pantograph with the function of taking power by catenary wires.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp...ix/menu/index_hojoho.htm

kato is another manufacturer of japanese trains IIRC. Try having a dig around this site which seems to show some of the high speed trains.
Offline Wal  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2015 02:18:47(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
G'day,

I was in Tokyo in January and did some train shopping (Although I'm into Z).

The Akihabara electronics district also contains a lot of hobby shops. Some of the train shops were hard to find, upstairs or down little streets.

But I did find a shop called Tam Tam and ended up buying some things there. As others have said most of the Japanese stuff is small gauge due to space constraints in their homes.

But Tam Tam had multiple floors for train stuff and a good selection. (Sorry can't remember if they had much HO). But they also spoke good English there so may be able to point you in the right direction of a shop selling HO. The shop is about 10-15 minutes walk from Akihabara JR station. It's on a major road intersection so easier to find. Do a search on Google and you'll see a map which will help with finding it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Wal
Offline Deborail  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2015 06:09:38(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Thanks Guys,

I plan to visit Akihabara in any case and i will go have a look....Maybe I get a small shinkasen Z scale starter set or something like that...
George

Offline ozzman  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2015 07:15:11(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Thanks Guys,

I plan to visit Akihabara in any case and i will go have a look....Maybe I get a small shinkasen Z scale starter set or something like that...

Hi George

Rokuhan make a Z scale Shinkansen starter set (3 cars):

http://www.rokuhan.com/english/products/trains/
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2015 13:36:44(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thanks Guys,

In your initial message you were looking for H0 scale........
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Deborail  
#11 Posted : 01 July 2015 20:08:40(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Guys,

In your initial message you were looking for H0 scale........

That's correct, but it seems that most japanese shops have z scale...

George

Offline Western Pacific  
#12 Posted : 01 July 2015 21:47:37(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
In Ginza you can find a Tenshodo store. In this store I saw a very nice model of modern Shinkansen 700 series train for one of the Shinkansen lines going east or north from Tokyo. I did not buy it for two reasons, the first being that I would only go to Osaka (actually used that line a lot, having "a base camp" at a hotel Osaka, going for instance to Kyoto several days in a row) and the second, I was uncertain if I could rebuild it for 3 rail operation on Märklin C-track.

It could be noted that the 1/80 scale is popular in Japan and the models often run on ordinary H0 track. In part this is due to the fact that most rail lines except the Shinkansen lines are narrow gauge. This means that sometime you can find model houses or other accessories that are close to H0 scale.

This is the location of this shop: Tenshodo, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan, but please not that the model train shop has a small door to the next to that of the Tenshodo clock store.

Offline jlopez  
#13 Posted : 02 July 2015 06:57:44(UTC)
jlopez

United States   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post
In Ginza you can find a Tenshodo store. In this store I saw a very nice model of modern Shinkansen 700 series train for one of the Shinkansen lines going east or north from Tokyo. I did not buy it for two reasons, the first being that I would only go to Osaka (actually used that line a lot, having "a base camp" at a hotel Osaka, going for instance to Kyoto several days in a row) and the second, I was uncertain if I could rebuild it for 3 rail operation on Märklin C-track.

It could be noted that the 1/80 scale is popular in Japan and the models often run on ordinary H0 track. In part this is due to the fact that most rail lines except the Shinkansen lines are narrow gauge. This means that sometime you can find model houses or other accessories that are close to H0 scale.

This is the location of this shop: Tenshodo, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan, but please not that the model train shop has a small door to the next to that of the Tenshodo clock store.

I go to Tokyo frequently for work and always go to this store. They have a used section on the top floor. I have bought alot of good used Marklin items here! make sure you tell your credit card you are going over there. I lost out on a nice Marklin set because they denied my card. Also they have all kinds of sets. Fanaastic place.