Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2012 23:39:16(UTC)
H0

Hi everybody,

As a software developer I have solved several questions with help from Stackoverflow, a stackexchange Q&A site about programming.

Yesterday I found that a Q&A site about model railroad was proposed - as of today it needs 11 more followers and a few more example questions with a score of 10+ to enter the second phase.

See here (Note: this is a link to the new rail road proposal, the MRR proposal was closed):
http://area51.stackexcha...=gnph6fQpaBufDQghZfiWBQ2

Any question that can be asked on the proposed site can also be asked on this forum.
So what's the point of having another site?
  • Any active site that deals with model railroad might attract new fans for our hobby
  • They only deal with questions and answers (Q&A), but with a software optimized for that purpose

The new site would be no competition for this forum: Q&A only, no banana club, no beer club, no "Me and my locos", "Me and my layout", "Show us your purchases" &c.
To answer questions on the new site, we could link to the forum - or answers on the forum could link to the new site.

Special about Stackexchange: someone posts a questions, users can vote the question up or down and leave comments, user can post answers, vote answers up or down or leave comments on answers.
No votes on this forum and answers are chronologically - on Stackexchange, question with comments at the top, followed by the answer with most up votes and comments, then second best answer.
Users earn reputation (for could questions and good answers), badges and privileges.

We have this forum, so there is no urgent need for such a Q&A site - but I think it would be nice to have it.
To get it going, they need more followers and more example questions with a vote of 10+. So if you like the idea, register as a follower and give up-votes to questions with a score less than 10. You can even add some Märklin flavour to the example questions if you like.

Edited by user 11 November 2012 13:59:46(UTC)  | Reason: Link changed to current proposal.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2012 02:59:07(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
It's an interesting idea...I really like the SO website and use it almost everyday for asking and answering questions. I'm not sure the same model would work for model railroaders but it's worth a try.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
H0
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2012 08:53:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
I really like the SO website and use it almost everyday for asking and answering questions.
I like it, too.

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure the same model would work for model railroaders but it's worth a try.
When you try to log into area51 with your SO account, they will recognize you and create an associated account - it only takes seconds and a few clicks.
If you think it's worth a try, please consider becoming a follower.

I think it'll work if it attracts enough users that login regularly.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2012 10:17:24(UTC)
H0

The proposal for an MRR site was closed (not enough followers).

There is a new proposal for a prototype railroad site (and the idea to include MRR):
http://area51.stackexcha...=gnph6fQpaBufDQghZfiWBQ2

Again this proposal needs followers and upvotes to become real - but this time there are nearly two years left.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2013 13:19:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I don't want to annoy anybody, but as of now the proposal needs
  • 6 followers
  • 27 questions with a score of 10 or more

Any new follower has 5 upvotes. If you do not follow the proposal yet, but think it is a good idea, please follow now, upvote five questions, add some new questions.
Thanks!
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2013 23:45:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I'm nagging again:
  • There are enough followers but
  • 22 questions with a score of 10 or more still needed (a few more questions are also needed)
Obviously not all followers used all their upvotes. So please vote if you didn't already (and more than enough followers won't be too much).

Any new follower has 5 upvotes. If you do not follow the proposal yet, but think it is a good idea, please follow now, upvote five questions, add some new questions.
Thanks!
Link to the Railways proposal.

Next phase will be "commitment".
BTW: a proposal that already reached the "commitment" phase is beer (click here). With all those beer car collectors around here, there may also be a few beer fans here.

I don't know if there also is a banana (or fruits) proposal going ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2013 00:17:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I joined and used all my votes.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
H0
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2013 16:30:13(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I am on board as well Tom

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
H0
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2015 22:34:59(UTC)
H0

The former proposals all failed, but now there is a new proposal:
http://area51.stackexcha...m/proposals/81747/trains

I am not very optimistic this proposal will make it, but I do have some hope and thought it was mentioning here.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0