Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline quarkhirad  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2015 14:33:59(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
Hi all.

The thing is that i am used to working with the old style of marklin catenary (the style up until atleast 2003). Now that marklin has changed the style of catenary is their any catalog/manual to refer so that i can learn how to use the new catenary. For example how to fix up the cross span for say 4 tracks.

I would prefer the manual in english please if possible.

thanks

khirad
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by quarkhirad
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2015 04:28:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin did have a manual, but I am not sure that there is a current manual for the new (Viessmann based) system.
You can get some information by downloading the instructions for the 70000 catenary kit that they sold to complement the small start sets:
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/70000_betrieb.pdf

Maerklin still lists the German, French and Dutch versions of the old book as available.

Regards

Mike C
Offline quarkhirad  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2015 08:41:21(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Maerklin did have a manual, but I am not sure that there is a current manual for the new (Viessmann based) system.
You can get some information by downloading the instructions for the 70000 catenary kit that they sold to complement the small start sets:
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/70000_betrieb.pdf

Maerklin still lists the German, French and Dutch versions of the old book as available.

Regards

Mike C

Hi mike c

Thanks but when i open the link it opens a blank page. Are you sure the link is http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/70000_betrieb.pdf

because normally a link doesnt have .....

Also i was search for some stuff and came across this link https://www.maerklinshop...b445&listtype=search

Which shows marklin catenary manual for ho books available. Any idea are these books for the old style or new style of catenary.

Thanks

KHirad
Offline Tom Jessop  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2015 12:16:09(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

That link opened for me with no problem , took a while to download . The description is for the current style of Catenary in use & not for the previous type . I would like to see what offerings there is available for M ,K & C track using the older style .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2015 12:21:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have posted this in the forum before, but hope this manual helps.
File Attachment(s):
Marklin Catenary.pdf (1,024kb) downloaded 765 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2015 12:27:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
........but I am not sure that there is a current manual for the new (Viessmann based) system.

Marklin did have the 03902 Catenary Manual for the new (Viessmann) style catenary, but it is now discontinued. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of it off ebay and it arrived yesterday!

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline quarkhirad  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:19:39(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
hi bigdaddynz

The manual you got is list on marklin online store as available

https://www.maerklinshop...b445&listtype=search

At 35.99 euros

Also thanks for the manual. The pdf is for the old style of catenary. I want the same thing for the new style of marklin catenary.

Thanks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2015 14:10:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: quarkhirad Go to Quoted Post
I want the same thing for the new style of marklin catenary.

I haven't scanned my new book as yet and I don't think Marklin ever made it available in PDF format.

I did find this Guide to installing Viessmann catenary on the Reynaulds website some time ago. Don't know if it is any use to you.
File Attachment(s):
Viessman - A guide to installing Catenary.pdf (583kb) downloaded 450 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2015 05:25:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Khirad,

my link is good, but it may not work if you click directly on it. Try it again and right click and select either "Open in New Tab" or "Open in new Window"

Regards

Mike C
Offline French_Fabrice  
#10 Posted : 08 May 2015 10:27:28(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Khirad,

The new (10 years old now) M catenary system is made by Viessmann. They mainly differ by the form of the clip where you attach catenary elements on the masts, but it's more aesthetic than functional. So both Viessmann and M catenary elements and masts are compatible.

An other difference is Viessmann provides much more elements than M. The price is in the same range.

This new system is much more elegant than the old one. The drawback is it's more difficult to set it up, especially about length adjustments.

With the old system, using 7014,7015,7013 and 7023 elements was very easy to adjust to precise length.
With the new system, you have to cut a piece of longer catenary and either use the female element (M approach), or use a catenary element close to the required length then use a special pliers to create the hooks allowing to attach the customized element to the masts (Viessmann approach). The creation of the hooks is the tricky part: You absolutely need the special pliers (sold by Viessmann), and you must be very careful when plying (unfortunately, sometimes the metal breaks).

The M catenary handbook shown by Bigdaddynz is about the new system. It has nice photos but not a lot of information about geometry. My opinion is it is not a "must have". Instead, I strongly suggest you to buy the 4190 Viessmann catenary manual which describes all the geometry and various implementation combinations when using turnouts. This manual is only available in German, but it has a lot of photos which are self explanatory.

One last advice: You must be extremely patient when building with this new catenary system, and it requires more precision than the old one. This system is adapted only for permanent layout, not for "carpet layout".

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 08 May 2015 10:39:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
The M catenary handbook shown by Bigdaddynz is about the new system. It has nice photos but not a lot of information about geometry.

Just looking through the book, I would tend to agree with Fabrice's comments. Chapter 3 is about assembly, and there is some information and hints about placing the catenary, but there is no technical information on geometry. I haven't seen any information on placing catenary over turnouts, but there is a few paragraphs on placing catenary over double slip switches.

The Viessman manual may be better in this regard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Robert Davies  
#12 Posted : 09 May 2015 00:33:39(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
The full Viessmann overhead line installation manual is available here http://www.viessmann-modell.com...erleitungsbuch-.html#top. It is extremely comprehensive and comes in both German and English.

It is way too detailed for most people but it lets you see what can be done and you can pick the sections that you need.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2015 02:32:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
It is extremely comprehensive and comes in both German and English.

There is no indication on the Viessmann website of there being an English or German/English versions of the catenary manual - website shows German only.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#14 Posted : 09 May 2015 08:11:18(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
The thing is that i am used to working with the old style of marklin catenary (the style up until atleast 2003). Now that marklin has changed the style of catenary is their any catalog/manual to refer so that i can learn how to use the new catenary. For example how to fix up the cross span for say 4 tracks.

I would prefer the manual in english please if possible.

If you ask me, all the information you need is in the Main Catalogue.

The Märklin catenary follows the C-track geometry, meaning that with a basic knowledge on the relations between the catenary pieces and the C-track geometry you will be able to predict what pieces you need. Let me try to explain some of the things I have learned.

For a simple geometry the setup is pretty straight forward
- Important! In all cases use the mast positioning tool #70011 which will help you quite a lot as it takes the guessing out of the equation.
- For long stretches of straight track you use the 360 mm piece (equal to one 24188 + one 24172). As long as this piece fits, use it.
- For curved track you apply what ever piece fits the track underneath (the catalogue will explain this). E.g. The 142 mm piece goes with R1, the 172.5 mm piece goes with R2 and so on. 16 pieces makes up a circle.
- If you go from a R1 into an R2, or other radius, you might need to be creative. I find it helpful to have several extra pieces from different curves lying around.
- Where nothing fits, use the adjustment section piece #70231 (this comes in handy around point sections and similar). You might as well get one, and get to know it, because it is hard to avoid.

Two helpful rules of thumb:
- The mast positioning tool has a wire alignment piece with two markings. The catenary may never deviate from those markings. If it does, you are doing something wrong and will need to use another piece of catenary.
- You never need to bend the catenary piece. The catenary piece must be straight at all times. If you find yourself needing to bend the catenary piece, you are doing something wrong.

Positioning the masts is easy with the little helper tool.
You can use the mast positioning tool to find the correct position of the masts. It consists of two mast positioning tools and a wire alignment piece.

1. Place the first mast positioning tool in a position where you know a mast will be. Use the drawings from Main Catalogue to approximately determine this. I recommend starting with your complex sections (e.g. a point section or similar).

2. Then place the catenary piece that you will use and align it with the track.

3. Place the wire alignment piece on the track around the center of the catenary piece.

4. The wire alignment piece has two markings, the catenary piece may not exceed those markings. Now make sure the catenary is somewhere between the markings.
Remember that catenary "zig zags" over straight stretches of track. The mast positioning tool has two hooks for the catenary piece, always use the opposite hook when putting down the second positioning tool.
Note: Catenary does not zig zag over curved sections, consult the main catalogue on how to install catenary over curved sections (page 258 in the 2015 main catalogue).

5. Where the catenary piece ends, you place the other mast positioning tool and use the metal pin to create a mark in the baseboard.

6. Place a mast foot and repeat the process. I usually just place the positioning tool over the foot and put the metal pin in the top of the screw underneath. I never place a mast before I am ready to set up the entire section. I have had too many masts knocked over and broken while building.

Note that the mast positioning tool has markings for both tower masts, overhangs and normal masts. You will need to refer to the User's Manual for the tool to get the correct measurements for your mast type. I believe the normal mast is the 34 mm mark, but check with the manual. I sometimes forget to check the markings and place a mast wrong. Easily corrected, but annoying.

Cross spans
Think of cross spans as masts. Use the mast positioning tool to find the position, as you would any mast, but use the "tower mast hole" in the tool to place the mark.

General catenary advise
- If you plan to run trains with the pantograph in its upraised position, you must regularly maintain and inspect your catenary. Use your worst electric loco for this. By worst I mean the loco that always causes the most trouble on the layout (we all have one). If you do not know which one it is, it will reveal itself to you in a short time after the catenary is installed, trust me. Anyway, the idea is, that if this loco can run without trouble, everyone else can as well.
- You might need to bend the bottom outrigger on a mast a bit to make sure that the pantographs can pass the mast without hitting the outrigger. This is normal and by design. The pantographs moves and "lives" underneath the catenary, some more than others.
- Buy extra masts as you will eventually knock one over. I cannot recommend trying to repair a knocked over mast as it will give you an unstable catenary. You can perhaps do this if your catenary is for show, but not if you run with the pantographs upraised.
- I cannot recommend using the catenary with power. If you run digital, forget about this option, as the digital system is way better when using the track. If you run analogue, you might have an argument for a powered catenery, but I would still not recommend it.

Anyway, I hope any of this may help you in getting an overview on the "new" (10 year old) Märklin catenary (we could call it "second generation" instead of new? Smile) If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

I do have the catenary book as well, but it does not really give more overview than the catalogue and the manual from the #70000 catenary starter's set (http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/70000_betrieb.pdf). Lots of pictures of course.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Robert Davies  
#15 Posted : 10 May 2015 02:55:36(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
It is extremely comprehensive and comes in both German and English.

There is no indication on the Viessmann website of there being an English or German/English versions of the catenary manual - website shows German only.

My apologies - you are absolutely correct, it is in German only. (I was confusing it with the Sommerfelt manual which is in both languages.) Having said that, it is profusely illustrated so even if you understand no German at all, you will not have problems.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline witzlerh  
#16 Posted : 11 May 2015 07:14:58(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have a bunch of the 2nd gen. catenary. I know that there are maximum wire lengths based on the curve radius.

What is not clear is that I know that the mast location on the turnouts is rather fixed.

The catalog suggested 65mm from end of R2 turnouts but what would it be for R9 wide radius turnouts? What would be the position "tolerance" at either of these turnouts be?

As such, the overhead " layout" would start at he turn ours and end at the turnouts...usually with adjustable wire lengths. If there is a little tolerance, then there may be an opportunity to use a standard length.

Also, can one use the C track clip on centre masts on 74 mm track spacing resulting from the R2 turnouts?
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline quarkhirad  
#17 Posted : 16 May 2015 19:02:20(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
Thank you all the manuals are very helpfull

@sjlauritsen Thanks for the detailed explanation. it is really helpfull

@french_fabrice Thanks for the info i dint know that the new catenary is for permanent layouts and not meant for temporary ones. Hmm that makes me wonder

Offline French_Fabrice  
#18 Posted : 16 May 2015 21:20:02(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Thank you all the manuals are very helpfull

@sjlauritsen Thanks for the detailed explanation. it is really helpfull

@french_fabrice Thanks for the info i dint know that the new catenary is for permanent layouts and not meant for temporary ones. Hmm that makes me wonder

Hi Khirad,

For K-Track (the one I use), you need to screw the masts. So, not really adapted for a temporary layout.
For C-track, there is in the Viessmann catalog an additional mast socket you can use (ref 4189). You can check at Marklin if their masts are delivered with this additional socket. This option could be used in case of a temporary layout, but I'm not very confident about the robustness of the result...

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 17 May 2015 01:33:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

I think I can reduce much of the advice regards catenary installation to 3 points. All else, as Søren from Denmark correctly says, follows. And his practical advice is really worthwhile.

My first recommendation is to use the mast positioning jig set 70011, as this will consistently place your masts correctly for installation, and save lots of running problems.

Secondly, commence your catenary set-up at the end of the switch blades of a turnout, precision is not required. This will minimize the number of adjustment sections 70231 you will undoubtedly require as you come across more turnouts and crossings.

Thirdly, on curves, use a greater number of masts than recommended by Marklin, if you can afford it. In other words, use shorter catenary lengths as it makes for easier operation.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow