Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lmedberry  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2015 05:21:39(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
Hi,

Anyone else interested in this hobby? I just started and find it very interesting. Drool

Lance
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by lmedberry
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2015 14:33:06(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Is it an updated slot car system, or is it more than that?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline waorb  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2015 21:39:09(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
When I was a kid, this was my consumer dream... My father with trains and I with those slot cars... Santa Claus never gave me one...
Instead of this, he only came with new trains. Laugh

AFAIK Sprint was discontinued decades ago. I don't remember if it have some 'special' feature, or is a standard slot car.

The existing products are only those ones already produced.

On my last trip to Germany, I saw lots of Carrera Cars, and a brand new system from Siku ("slot cars" without the slots).

Cheers,

Walter

Edit: "Siku Racing" is the name of that new product. With an interesting color recognition sensors below the cars, that make the car slow outside the track, and slippery on the 'water' designs of the track.

Edited by user 12 May 2015 13:47:38(UTC)  | Reason: Siku edit

Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2015 07:42:16(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Lance,
Good to see you posting on the forum. ThumpUp
We already talked Faller and Faller AMS.
I don't have the Marklin Sprint slot cars, but I do have 1960-70s Carrera Universal 1:32 slot cars, see my Carrera thread here: LINK

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 12 May 2015 11:49:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I was originally going to buy a Marklin Sprint set back in the 1970's until a school friend convinced me to buy trains instead.

I now have some Scalextrix cars and track and one Carrera Ferrari 458 Italia!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2015 23:00:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I had Sprint in the 70ies.
It gave me lots of pleasure at the time. I used the Märklin 10VA transformer with the rectifier M also was selling at the time. With that voltage
the cars were relatively slow when compared to other brands, so sometimes I forced the transformer to the 24V and the cars turned to be very very fast, close to uncontrolable :))
They had solid copper braids (different from current slot cars) and the guide was connected to the wheels in a way that it steers the wheels.
The track was veru solid (like Carrera but not so large).
You can see the items available at the time in the Märklin catalogues of those years. In ebay there are lots of Sprint items for sale.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2015 12:36:33(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: lmedberry Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Anyone else interested in this hobby? I just started and find it very interesting. Drool

Lance

Hi Lance,

Sprint first appeared in 1968 and was in the last catalogue 1981. In 1982 the general catalogue lists a separate catalogue just for Sprint.

This site contains lots of links you may find helpful... http://users.telenet.be/anthonyhuvaere/favorieten.htm

In addition, I have some spare parts pages that may assist you to drool, I have not been able to find these elsewhere on the web but I may not have looked hard enough.

It is highly unlikely Märklin would still have any stock of spare parts for these items and the sheets are added here for archive reference only.

Put up some pictures of what you have.

Regards

Cookee
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
1300-Formel1-Mercedes(0474).jpg
1301-Formel1-Ferrari(0474).jpg
1305_1314_1316_1317-Sportwagen(0474).jpg
1308-Jaguar E-type(0474).jpg
1310_1318-Porsche 911 Targa(0474).jpg
1311_1312-Sportwagen Mercedes C111(0474).jpg
1315-Sportwagen Chaparral 2 E(0474).jpg
1319-RennWagen McNamara Ford(0474).jpg
1320-RennWagen Lola T222(0474).jpg
1321-1325-Porsche(1178).jpg
1322-1323-BMW2002(0276).jpg
1330-1331-Formel1(1280).jpg
Allgemeine_Rennwagen-Einzelteile(0474).jpg
1590_1591-Temporegler(0474).jpg
1594-Temporegler(0474).jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2015 22:47:54(UTC)
Webmaster

My slotcar dream in the late 60's was the Märklin Sprint, with a Porsche Carrera and a Chapparal... Never came through though... But I had the trains to soothe my soul...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 14 May 2015 21:16:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
By the time I started seeing Marklin sprint in the catalogues I already had a slot car system bought for me and my brother in the early sixties. It was by a little known company called VIP, or "Victory Industries". The cars and track were superior to the Scalextrix products, and my friends who had the latter were all jealous of my set. The cars were compatible, but for some reason were wired in opposite polarities, so that if I placed a Scalextrix car on my track it would go backwards. I always had to swap the wires around when my friends came over.

See this site for an overview:

http://www.madmalc.screaming.net/victoryindex.htm
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline lmedberry  
#10 Posted : 15 May 2015 04:22:09(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Lance

Hi Lance,

Sprint first appeared in 1968 and was in the last catalogue 1981. In 1982 the general catalogue lists a separate catalogue just for Sprint.

This site contains lots of links you may find helpful... http://users.telenet.be/anthonyhuvaere/favorieten.htm

In addition, I have some spare parts pages that may assist you to drool, I have not been able to find these elsewhere on the web but I may not have looked hard enough.

It is highly unlikely Märklin would still have any stock of spare parts for these items and the sheets are added here for archive reference only.

Put up some pictures of what you have.

Regards

Cookee

Thank you very much Cookee!

you are correct I am drooling as I type this. My real life career is automotive parts at a dealership so parts pages are the ultimate for me!

Lance

Offline lmedberry  
#11 Posted : 15 May 2015 04:25:04(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Hi Lance,
Good to see you posting on the forum. ThumpUp
We already talked Faller and Faller AMS.
I don't have the Marklin Sprint slot cars, but I do have 1960-70s Carrera Universal 1:32 slot cars, see my Carrera thread here: LINK

Marco

Hi Marco,

Thank you, the first post is always nerve wreaking.

I love that car set you have very cool. The way you have positioned the cars and personnel, very nice! Your kittens are cute.

Lance
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lmedberry
Offline lmedberry  
#12 Posted : 15 May 2015 04:35:10(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
I just started to do some shopping on ebay and have purchased a 1401 kit with 2 cigar cars. a white and red Porsche Carrera 6 and about 250 pieces of track! I meat a nice man that sells a lot of Marklin Sprint track and cars in Germany who has about 30,000 pieces of track and a number of kits. It is like being a kid at Christmas!

I will start posting pictures as soon as I get organized. The first box of track came in so far all seems good just a bit of cleaning and straightening (warped from poor storage).

I have been bitten by the slot car bug.

This will be arriving soon as well.

Faller club 1

Faller club 2

Faller club 3

Lance

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by lmedberry
Offline hemau  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2015 22:38:24(UTC)
hemau

In the end of the sixties I changed Faller with Marklin Sprint. Had a lot of fun with it and with two friends we built large 4 track circuits.
Some 10 years ago I revitalised the lot, got some new parts and got the lot driving but my son was never very interested. More into computer games. And for some time trains.
Anyway, the Sprint will still be operational so who knows when I will be driving them again .. IIRC two Porsches and a Chapparal. It was really a skill to get them fast through corners.
Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hemau
Offline erikmotoman  
#14 Posted : 28 November 2015 08:32:30(UTC)
erikmotoman

United States   
Hi,

Lance

Yes - possibly my favorite hobby from 1969 to 1974 - superseded by a 50 CC Suzuki. Don't have the bike anymore, but still have the track and several cars. Hours and hours of flawless operation. Other than replacing tires, contact "shoes" and the brushes, the cars were indestructible. Looking to rekindle my passion I bought a Carrera set, which frankly, I have been very disappointed with. Particularly the cars. They don't last long or handle nearly as well as the Sprint cars did. So, will be digging out the old Sprint and buying parts on ebay.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by erikmotoman
Offline lmedberry  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2016 04:11:12(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
Originally Posted by: erikmotoman Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Lance

Yes - possibly my favorite hobby from 1969 to 1974 - superseded by a 50 CC Suzuki. Don't have the bike anymore, but still have the track and several cars. Hours and hours of flawless operation. Other than replacing tires, contact "shoes" and the brushes, the cars were indestructible. Looking to rekindle my passion I bought a Carrera set, which frankly, I have been very disappointed with. Particularly the cars. They don't last long or handle nearly as well as the Sprint cars did. So, will be digging out the old Sprint and buying parts on ebay.

Did you dig out the old Sprint cars?
Offline JGM  
#16 Posted : 30 December 2016 00:03:23(UTC)
JGM

Canada   
I have been involved with slot cars.

I did have the VIP back in England they had front wheels that steered via the slot attitude was unique.

Way to go now would be 1/32 Scalectrix digital

Enjoy
Graham.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JGM