Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2015 20:58:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I tried to take some photos of the ACME, Roco and LSM Eurofima coaches, but I could not get shots that were detailed enough for my purposes, but I did manage to find some photos on the web.

The first photo shows the ACME FS Eurofima Az (1st Class) in Orange:
http://www.reisezugwagen.../ACME_50631_A_Seite2.jpg

The next photo shows the LS Models version of the same coach:
http://www.reisezugwagen...s/LS_47453_Az_Seite2.jpg

The first thing that I wanted to draw attention to is the differences in detail of the roof. The ACME model has a line at the end of the ribbed section travelling from one side of the coach to the other between the door and the first (washroom) window. This is absent on the LS Models version.
The LSM Model has a line that goes from one side of the coach to the other at the end of the coach. This semi-circular line would seem to represent the dividing line between roof and coach body. This feature does not appear on either the ACME nor the Roco models (nor Maerklin for that matter) and from what I have been able to find on the web, does not exist on the actual prototype either.

There are minor differences in the shading of the grey used in the production by ACME and LSM. From what I recall, the LSM colour is closer to the actual prototype

The other significant difference between the model concerns the design of the coach body in the area between the doors and the bogie. The coach body extends down to line up with the bottom edge of the door opening. The ACME model has what appears to be a more sharp cut whereas the LSM model has a more slanted and gradual cut:
ACME: http://www.reisezugwagen...ds/ACME_50631_Detail.jpg
LSM: http://www.reisezugwagen...oads/LS_47453_Detail.jpg

The Roco model is similar in detail in this regard to the LSM model, as is the Maerklin model. The prototype appears to be the same as the LSM design. I believe that the ACME model had this detail derived from the earlier productions of the FS UIC Z2 (post-Eurofima) coach design.
I also compared the ACME models of DB Avmz and SBB Eurofima coaches as well as the SBB Bcm (52419 and 52410) couchette models. I was surprised to see that the couchette models (both the original 52410 and the upgraded 52419) which are both Eurofima derived have different details. The original Bcm uses the standard FS Eurofima as base, while the upgraded model has modified doors and other details, including the correct aspect of the coach body next to the bogies. Food for thought here?

52410: http://www.reisezugwagen...1_BcmSBB_Abteilseite.jpg
52419: http://www.reisezugwagen...E_52419_Bcm_SBB_Luna.JPG

My last observation came as I was admiring the very detailed interior of the LSM coaches. As I looked through the window of one of the doors, I noticed that I could see light coming through a little opening at the end of the coach frame, just underneath the connecting doors at the end of the coach. It seems to me that the measurements of the coach frame are a little off and this results in this tiny space between frame and shell. I also noticed that the LSM models have a little trouble coupling with other coaches, which supports my theory that the coach frame is about 1mm too short. Fortunately the coupling shafts have two locking positions, so most couplers can be used in the first notch. I decided to equip my coaches with Roco's Universal Coupler, which is similar to the Maerklin 7203, but is about 1mm longer. The result is that the coaches now couple trouble free, even with the coupling pushed all the way into the socket.

One last observation for those operating the Maerklin/AC system. I did notice that the LSM model includes a very detailed underside of both the coach and of the bogies, which might make outfitting the coach with AC slider and ground contacts a little problematic. I do not know if the details can be removed for that purpose. The ACME models come with axle contacts pre-installed and do not have space for an AC slider without modification. Both models can likely be used with current conducting couplers or by modifying the bogie to accept a slider.

That said, you should also read Rinus' review of his OBB models: https://www.marklin-user...s-Eurofirma-coaches.aspx

In the next few days, provided that I am satisfied with the results, I will post a series of photos of the LSM 47305, ACME 52401 and Roco 44669 models that I had intended to use in support of this review.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2015 01:56:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am waiting for my SBB Am Eurofima coaches in the original orange livery. I already have all of the FS models and the OBB coaches are on the way from another dealer.
I was planning to run my SBB coaches with other SBB models from LSM (47207 Bm, 47220 Bm (Set) and 47235 WRm and 2 Bpm (Set)) in the same livery.
I was wondering if anybody else has these coaches and whether you can tell me whether the stripe is white on all coaches or whether the Eurofima coaches have the same light grey stripe as the FS versions.

It is hard to tell by looking at the photos. The colours look to be the same. The FS model has a light grey stripe while the SBB WRm, Bpm and Bm all have a bright white stripe. This prototype photo shows matching livery on all the SBB coaches: http://www.railfaneurope...taurant/RIC/WRSBB_MI.jpg

47300: http://www.reisezugwagen...s/LS_47300_Am_Seite2.jpg
47453 (FS): http://www.reisezugwagen...s/LS_47453_Az_Seite2.jpg
47235: http://www.reisezugwagen...oads/LS_47235_Orange.jpg
47207/47220: http://www.reisezugwagen...S_47220_Bm11_orange1.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2015 04:49:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I posted a similar message on the German DSO Forum and was disappointed to learn that the SBB Eurofima coaches have the same colour stripe as the other Eurofima coaches (FS, OBB) and do not fully match the other Swiss coaches in the same (C1) orange livery, which have a white stripe.

I may decide to run the SBB Restaurant, Bpm and Bm coaches with my ACME Eurofima coaches and use the LSM ones with other consists. I guess that I could mix them with some green RIC coaches and some EWI, II and EWIV.
I will be contacting LSM and asking them if they can do a rerun of the model with the white stripe to match the other Swiss coaches. If they do, I might purchase one or two to allow me to run the LSM coaches with the matching diner and 2nd class coaches.

Product continuity needs to be improved, not only at LSM, but at other companies as well, so that new models match older related productions in livery.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Rinus  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2015 22:26:23(UTC)
Rinus

Mike, do you plan to fit LED lights with your LSM Eurofirma coaches?. I find them difficult to open. Not sure if I dare to ...

Rinus
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2015 06:42:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't think that I will put lights in my LSM Eurofima coaches. I will definitely put lights in my 1:93 Maerklin models when I get them. At least, that was my justification for ordering them.
I have opened a few of the SBB RIC coaches. Those were not too hard to open. The bogies of the LSM Eurofimas need some modification to install an AC slider.
I did notice that they already have axle contacts installed, so lighting should be easy for 2 rail users.

Here are some photos of my new OBB Eurofimas from LSM with Roco's 44662 WRmoz which has found new running partners.Drool

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 16 April 2015 05:24:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mike c attached the following image(s):
LSM Bmoz - Roco WRmz.jpg
Roco WRmz - LSM Amoz.jpg
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2015 04:55:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was taking a look at my newest LSM Eurofimas and noticed that it says LS Models "Made By Modern Gala" on the box, but on the model itself, there are stamps for LS Models and for "DiPAN". Has anybody heard of "DiPAN" before?

UPDATE: I learned on one of the other forums that DiPAN is in fact the designer of the models for LS Models and they are based in Slovenia.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 23 November 2015 21:57:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2015 21:56:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I received my 47302 and 47303 SBB Bcm couchette coaches from LS Models. I was surprised to see that rather than offering the interior details to modify the coach from day to nighttime set up, coach 47302 is delivered in night configuration and 47303 is delivered in day setting. I thought that I would acquire a second set and swap the chassis, so that I had a pair each for night operation and for day operation.
I just received my second set of coaches and started with the swap. I very quickly noticed that the models come with minor alterations that make such a swap impossible. The 47302 has window shades mounted on the window panels and the 47303 has little tables mounted on the window panels. It is not possible to mount the 47303 shell on the 47302 chassis, as the couchette beds and the little tables get in each other's way.
I will have to run a pair of 47302s in night mode and a pair of 47303s in day mode. Perhaps this can be solved by removing and swapping the window panels, but I don't wish to make any significant alterations to these models, which, due to the closing of Modern Gala, are likely to become more valuable over time.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2015 23:34:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Mike, do you plan to fit LED lights with your LSM Eurofima coaches?. I find them difficult to open. Not sure if I dare to ...

Rinus

Rinus,

as part of my experimentation about swapping shells for the 47302 and 47303 couchette models, I did what the instructions mentioned and simply spread the coach shell just behind one of the bogies and then slid that end a little out. I then released the other end the same way and the chassis could be removed much easier than pretty much any Roco model in my collection. I think that to install the lighting, you also have to remove the roof. I would probably remove the shell first and then remove the roof from the inside.

LSM and ACME models often vary by production, since each production is pretty much improved vis-a-vis earlier ones. For example, the latest Eurofimas in the SNCB 55103 and 55104 sets are sublime compared to the earlier DB, OBB, FS and SBB ones.

52401 - 55103.1
52401-55103.1.jpg
52401 bogie
Unterseite 52401.jpg
55103.1 bogie
Unterseite 55103.1.jpg

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 25 November 2015 07:28:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c