Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nibu  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2013 20:33:29(UTC)
nibu

Belgium   
Hello,

I'm kind of a novice (model)railroader and i had a question: yesterday i bought a märklin 24624 double turnout that is fitted with a 74490 electrical switch. today i bought a 74461 ('new' decoder) and installed it. The switch works very good but there is one problem: when switching from 'straight' to ' crossover' the switch doesn't go all the way till the end nine out of ten times. The switch itself is perfectly in place but the manual lever and the motor keep buzzing as long as i keep the button pressed down on my MS2. When switching the other way around this never happens. I also took out the electical thingie and it also did this when not driving the turnout.

Any solutions?

thanks alot already!

Jurgen
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2013 21:35:49(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: nibu Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm kind of a novice (model)railroader and i had a question: yesterday i bought a märklin 24624 double turnout that is fitted with a 74490 electrical switch. today i bought a 74461 ('new' decoder) and installed it. The switch works very good but there is one problem: when switching from 'straight' to ' crossover' the switch doesn't go all the way till the end nine out of ten times. The switch itself is perfectly in place but the manual lever and the motor keep buzzing as long as i keep the button pressed down on my MS2. When switching the other way around this never happens. I also took out the electical thingie and it also did this when not driving the turnout.

Any solutions?

thanks alot already!

Jurgen

Hello Jurgen,

I have had similar problems sometimes also. Make sure that You have all the wires routed so that they are not in a way of moving mechanical parts (turnout linkage). If you would have a Central Station 2 controller, then you could increase a bit the time for turnout decoder operating (swithing) time in ms (milliseconds). This can also be possible with MS2, but dont ask me how... It must be in some turnout properties if there is this possibility. These two should help. Usually when I have a turnout problem and get that "buzzing" sound and the turnout motor wont move it to desired end position I just operate that turnout from it's manual lever a couple of times and after that there is no problem anymore.

If that turnout has even slight mechanical resistance it can be enough for the turnout motor to not work as they should. And this problem will be more likely with X-turnout 24624 as there is more mechanic moving parts. I hope that you can get it working now.

One question: Is that 24624 mounted at permanent layout or is it still possible to test it so that the underside of it is not touching any level (floor, table, vaneer etc.)? If you can have it in your hand lifted up then you can test that anything is not jamming. Then put it to table etc. and test again. If in both cases it works but not when mounted at layout then you should think what can cause this then? Some too soft roadbed material or layout material causing this jamming when it is screwed in place or something similar... Confused

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline nibu  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2013 23:07:00(UTC)
nibu

Belgium   
Thanks for the reply,

I have already checked and there are no wires in a position that could cause problems. In fact, i have removed the motor from the turnout and it still does this buzzing thing sometimes. So i'm pretty sure it's not the turnout itself but rather the motor unit that causes this problem. Do you know any solutions for that?

Kind greetings,

Jurgen
Offline sikardon  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2013 04:31:41(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: nibu Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply,

I have already checked and there are no wires in a position that could cause problems. In fact, i have removed the motor from the turnout and it still does this buzzing thing sometimes. So i'm pretty sure it's not the turnout itself but rather the motor unit that causes this problem. Do you know any solutions for that?

Kind greetings,

Jurgen

Hello Jurgen,

It could be the famous 74490 problem, the same problem happen to me and some of members on this forum.
So far no permanent solution.

Cheers,
Sony
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2013 05:02:13(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Do a search on the forum. There are a couple of topics describing the failure of the limit switches and a repair by way of electrically jumping the limit switches.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6