Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Lollo  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2012 08:52:54(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

For all our NZ members here, and any one else that might be here from overseas . I hope to see you at RailX 2012 in Palmerston North, NZ. this coming weekend.
I know that a number of the Marklin Club members from Wellington will be there with their layout. We have some layouts that have not been at this show before, and we have increased the capacity as well.
I know Dion from Toottoot, Christchurch will be there, but Bryan (Old toot) are you coming? Sorry Bryan I forgot to post you the used motor parts, so will bring to show for you.
I hope to post some good pictures up after the event for you all to enjoy.

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2012 10:07:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Not sure if I'll be there, a few of us were talking about coming up for one of the days.

And, yes the Club's layout will be there!
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2012 11:52:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I was hoping to be there for a day, but its looking like I won't make itSad
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2012 12:34:31(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Brian,

Enjoy the event and plenty of photo's....please.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Lollo  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2012 22:33:47(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Brian,

Enjoy the event and plenty of photo's....please.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

A local TV station, Tararua TV will be filming, so a DVD will also be available for those who would like to purchase one.
I'll shoot some video as well as photo's.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2012 01:27:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if I'll be there, a few of us were talking about coming up for one of the days.

And, yes the Club's layout will be there!

Hi Dave,

I might actually be able to get along with the girls, we are staying in Wanganui for a few days, do you know who's taking the layout up, when (today?), who's running it etc. If setup is tonight might even be free for that.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2012 12:46:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Cookee, I think Peter C and Ian will be there, not sure who else. The layout was going up today.

Paul M and myself and Paul's friend Joesph are going up for the day on Saturday for a few hours, so we might see you there.
Offline Lollo  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2012 13:05:45(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Its been a busy day. Most of the layouts & trade stands are setup. Our club (Manawatu European Model Railway Club) layout is all set to go. The Wellington guys have been busy, and were almost done when I left for the night. I saw Ian from Wellington and a few others. Will catch up with them in the morning.
Should be a great couple of days.

Brian.
Brian
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 13 July 2012 23:39:09(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cookee, I think Peter C and Ian will be there, not sure who else. The layout was going up today.

Paul M and myself and Paul's friend Joesph are going up for the day on Saturday for a few hours, so we might see you there.

Thanks Dave,

I found out that Rex and Ian from New Plymouth are coming down late morning so Nadine and I will be there around or before midday, hope to see you there. We can't talk Misses 14 & 11 into coming, they went to the recent Wanganui show and were underwhelmed. I said this would be bigger but the resistance is high.

At least we won't get "I'm bored, can we go now (5 minutes after arriving)" Cool Cool

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Lollo  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2012 09:15:16(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Well it was a busy start to the day, people were queued up at the door at 9.30am, we didn't officially open until 10am. There was a constant flow of people all day. Tomorrow could be just the same. I think everyone is a bit knackered after the first day. All good though, a great day had by all.
I did not get a chance to take any photo's or video, but will be on my to do list for tomorrow. I apologise in advance for no photo's so far. I hope it will be worth the wait.
Just need a good nights sleep.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Offline Lollo  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2012 08:46:18(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Here are photo's from our exhibition.

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2012 08:58:27(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
A Lovely lot of photos.

I have a question.

at every model train show I have been to most club layouts are huge and there is an obsession to run extremely long trains. It gets boring after a while. Most layouts seem to merge into one and you forget a lot of the detail.

Eg. club layouts all appear to be 4 miles (4.6 klicks) long and they appear to run a train of about 5 miles long.

would b e better with shorter trains and stopping at signals and stations., passing loop etc just as in real life.

But then in real life there are some freight and ore trains getting up to about 3-5 Klicks long

Just an observation

OGN

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 16 July 2012 09:21:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
....would b e better with shorter trains and stopping at signals and stations......

Which is exactly what our club layout is designed to do.
Offline Glen  
#14 Posted : 16 July 2012 11:24:29(UTC)
Glen

New Zealand   
Great photos - looks like a good time was had by all. BigGrin

Gotta love the NZR layout(s)? ThumpUp

Cheers

Glen
Offline DV  
#15 Posted : 17 July 2012 00:44:52(UTC)
DV

Australia   
A Lovely lot of photos.

I have a question.

at every model train show I have been to most club layouts are huge and there is an obsession to run extremely long trains. It gets boring after a while. Most layouts seem to merge into one and you forget a lot of the detail.

Eg. club layouts all appear to be 4 miles (4.6 klicks) long and they appear to run a train of about 5 miles long.

would b e better with shorter trains and stopping at signals and stations., passing loop etc just as in real life.

But then in real life there are some freight and ore trains getting up to about 3-5 Klicks long

Just an observation

OGN

For our members it's the only opportunity to run long trains (having smaller home layouts or not being able to attend meetings and looking forward to the exhibition for that purpose) and show them off to the general public.

We have also found out that at exhibitions people are mainly looking for colour and movement.

At our last exhibition the running of ICE, puffing steamers and long trains brought in a lot of young kids and general public, at times four deep. Granted after viewing them run around a couple of times they moved on, but were replaced by others smartly. (I know I got a lot of exercise running around filling the steamers with smoke oil).

I too like signals, stations, passing tracks, shunting, but the general public we have found get bored with that.

I remember one year there was a layout that was exquisitely detailed, single line with passing loops and station and about four metres long. The owner loved to run his train at scale speed with heavy loads, unfortunately it ran behind the layout and took a long time to come back into view. Not many people stopped to look.

We have come to the conclusion for a successful exhibition to promote our hobby we have to put our 'likes' into sleep mode and just concentrate on movement and colour - a few shunts also helps a lotBigGrin

The modular is our first attempt at this type of layout and we still have a long way to go. It needs signals, catenary, more detail and (at the continous harking of some members) a third track (for the ICE trains). I would like to throw in what Nev is suggesting but it will take time and money and being a small club the finances are limited.

Sorry Brian to have hijacked the thread.

Looks like a great exhibition. great pictures.

I'd love to see the track plans of the Märklin layout, if they are available.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 17 July 2012 05:37:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
I'd love to see the track plans of the Märklin layout, if they are available.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Hmmm, not sure if there is one.......(apart from Clapcott's whiteboard scribblings, that is).
Offline Lollo  
#17 Posted : 17 July 2012 08:32:57(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
A Lovely lot of photos.

I have a question.

Just an observation

OGN

For our members it's the only opportunity to run long trains (having smaller home layouts or not being able to attend meetings and looking forward to the exhibition for that purpose) and show them off to the general public.

We have also found out that at exhibitions people are mainly looking for colour and movement.

At our last exhibition the running of ICE, puffing steamers and long trains brought in a lot of young kids and general public, at times four deep. Granted after viewing them run around a couple of times they moved on, but were replaced by others smartly. (I know I got a lot of exercise running around filling the steamers with smoke oil).

I too like signals, stations, passing tracks, shunting, but the general public we have found get bored with that.

I remember one year there was a layout that was exquisitely detailed, single line with passing loops and station and about four metres long. The owner loved to run his train at scale speed with heavy loads, unfortunately it ran behind the layout and took a long time to come back into view. Not many people stopped to look.

We have come to the conclusion for a successful exhibition to promote our hobby we have to put our 'likes' into sleep mode and just concentrate on movement and colour - a few shunts also helps a lotBigGrin

The modular is our first attempt at this type of layout and we still have a long way to go. It needs signals, catenary, more detail and (at the continous harking of some members) a third track (for the ICE trains). I would like to throw in what Nev is suggesting but it will take time and money and being a small club the finances are limited.

Sorry Brian to have hijacked the thread.

Looks like a great exhibition. great pictures.

Hi Dusan,

Your comments pretty much sum it up.
We all have our own ideas of what we want on our own layouts, and having a club layout is a sum of all those things together I hope. Even the public have different likes and dislikes. But I have heard many compilmentary comments come from the public about all the different layouts on display.
I think the key to a good exhibition is having variety, and we certainly had that.
My own personal views on a good layout for me is being able to run trains of any composition, and plenty of shunting capability. I also like the scenery side of it as well. I'm not big on watching train going round in an oval, has to have varying terrain etc. I am still learning skills and techniques in the scenery dept, and I still get lots of ideas from other layouts that I see at exhibitions. That probably why mine is always changing at the moment.
There are some very dedicated & skilled modellers out there.
If you are having fun, then that's what is all about.

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian
Offline old toot  
#18 Posted : 17 July 2012 13:45:04(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
hi brian
well you had a good weekend from what Dion told me
and i was running the chch shop hence i was not there
and we had another busy saturday serving ALL THE COFFEES
(Dion posted on our website I would be there and serving Coffeee!!!!)BigGrin BigGrin

The photos are great and saw quite a few faces on the photos i know
so that was great. That NZR layout was also at the Wgtn show last year
and it is a really great setup
Well hi also Dusan hows life in the south aust also saw some clips
of your recent show and we always found when i was at rotorua club
the public liked variety and trains on the MOVE , if they stop the public just go
and the wgtn marklin guys told me they found the mobile station and central
stations with the quick swipe of the locos cards made it possible to change locos very quickly
and keep the public interest up so interesting
I don't know brian if Dion took any photos He often does take his camera to shows and also has
a new fancy cellphone with Camera so I will see
SOOOO thanks for Hospitality and we trust you enjoyed the quakes we sent North last week BigGrin
Some told me it rocked on for 5 mins well we do like to share
regards
Bryan Old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline steventrain  
#19 Posted : 17 July 2012 16:22:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent pictures, Thanks for sharing.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.