Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2012 09:56:53(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hello Everyone,

I don t know if it s the right place, or the thing to do, but if it isn t, just say so :-). Some months ago I bought a marklin 3027 (br44). She was technically good as new, only the previous owner blackened almost everything red! with glossy black nailpolish. Since I tought there were maybe some people interested in the progress on removing (and seeing the real beauty of the engine reappear), I m opening (my until now) slow progress thread. It could also come in handy for me if i ever have questions.

This is how both sides started (the tender is "artistically painted" too, but that will come later:

UserPostedImage

After a whole afternoon she looked like this:

UserPostedImage

The hardest part is to know where the red was and where not, the cilinders are not done yet.

Another 3 hours of labor later LOL :

UserPostedImage

I just was wondering if there are any shades in the red line on the side or is the red line damaged? (see last picture, to the left).

More coming up!
Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:13:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
Good job! She's just nice, again Laugh
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:15:49(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey John,

It s not nearly done, this is only one side, need to do the other side, front and tender too (pfffff lol)

Kristof
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:37:10(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Please be patient and take care of this beuty.You have allready a great result.LOL BigGrin
Offline Artologic  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:40:04(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Foumaro,

I m taking my time, Rome wasn t build in one day either. And seen here age she deserves the time! Still I was amazed how well preserved the red line was underneat.

Kristof

Ps: nobody who knows about the different shades in the red line on the side?
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:46:03(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have the 3047,a similar but not the same model.Maybe another member help you with a detailed photo.
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2012 20:49:48(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey,

I have the 3047 too, and that one doesn t have it. But seen some age difference it could be a different technique?

Kristof
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#8 Posted : 16 June 2012 00:29:48(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I can't tell by the photo exactly what you are talking about. If you are referring to the line being thinner, it could be damage but it could also be like that from factory. Some of those details from those days are often not perfectly applied. If you are talking about a different tone of the colour then tere is another problem which I can't see well in that picture. The original red lines on those engines should be all the same colour which is a red -not pure bright red- with a very slight pinkish appearance.

What are you using to remove the nail polish without stripping the original paint?
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 16 June 2012 00:35:41(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hello,

I ll try to take better pictures of it soon. I was thinking about using nail polish remover, but that s way to agressive. I just used washbenzine (i hope that s a correct translation).
Anyhow, better pictures coming soon

Kristof
#10 Posted : 16 June 2012 00:53:33(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I don't know what washbenzine is but if it is not softening or removing the original paint while still working keep using that. Nail polish remover is very likely to strip the original paint so I wouldn't consider it. There is a particular type of nail polish remover that's based in a less harsh chemical but I would rather stick to what you are doing it appears to work fine. It is very hard to get things back to the original shape properly once someone did something like that.
Offline Artologic  
#11 Posted : 16 June 2012 14:38:53(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
I looked up the name, according to google translate, it is called benzene?
Offline Artologic  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2012 19:49:14(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

Hereby the new photo, I hope the different color can be seen now?

UserPostedImage

Also continued on the other side (photo s to follow). I also note some small damage to the red (and one small spot on the black), so I was wondering if I should leave it like it is or repaint it (and if so, what which brand paint/number should I use?). Opinions greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know a good way to remove the front buffers without damaging them?

Kristof
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Artologic
#13 Posted : 16 June 2012 23:34:26(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
It may have been damaged during your cleaning, too much rubbing. That's the reason you should avoid very harsh cleaning products although sometimes there is no other solution than to strip all the paint and repaint the whole thing but that is something that should be avoided unless the problem is really bad. Originality is very important and repaints only few people do them to a standard that can be acceptable to other collectors.

I advise you also against removing the buffers but if you want to do it I think in that engine you can probably access them from the inside of the body. You'll probably see holes where you can put a piece of metal and tap it from the inside to push them out. If you try to pull them out from the visible part with pliers or any other tool you are going to scratch them at the very least but most likely you will damage completely the edges.
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2012 23:46:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Artologic Go to Quoted Post
Hey Everyone,

UserPostedImage

Also continued on the other side (photo s to follow). I also note some small damage to the red (and one small spot on the black), so I was wondering if I should leave it like it is or repaint it (and if so, what which brand paint/number should I use?). Opinions greatly appreciated!

Kristof

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I got a Loco in a similar state some years ago and found that Isopropyl-Alcohol softened the repaint nicely without damaging the underlying original paint, regrettably I did not take before and after photo's but the effect was similar except that it looks like your underlying original paint is still in pretty good condition.

I'd probably be inclined to wait until you've removed all traces that you can of the repaint, and then just allow yourself to 'adjust' to the original state and see if you still find anything of concern, then you can decide if you really need to touch anything up.

As for the shades of red, I would think the same colour was used for the red-painted areas and anything that does not look right may well be more down to the handling and treatment between original production and now, and whatever the repainting might have done to it.

Regarding removing the front buffers, they are a press-fit, the hole they are pressed into is usually drilled right through the front beam and you should be able to get in from the rear.

The gentlest way to remove them would be by tapping them out from behind with a suitable sized pin, tapped with a small hammer, or you could also enlist a vice or similar to press it out making sure not to scratch or damage any other areas. ** I just saw the same suggestion posted above - snap! Great minds think alike.

Refitting is much the same, you'll see there are splines on the pins, when refitting rotate them so that the splines feel liked they are matched with the inside of the hole, remember also that often the front face of the two sides are different so don't mix them up, one tends to be quite flat, and one is often slightly convex, ie; it's 'domed' outward.

Hope this helps

Steve
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kbvrod  
#15 Posted : 16 June 2012 23:48:52(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hey Everyone,

UserPostedImage

Kristof

Repaint it! And the red your using is not dark enough.Tongue

Dr D
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 17 June 2012 01:46:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

More commonly known in some parts of the world as Petrol - Petrol has benzene in it, but many (older, perhaps) people refer to petrol as benzene.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#17 Posted : 17 June 2012 07:57:42(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

More commonly known in some parts of the world as Petrol - Petrol has benzene in it, but many (older, perhaps) people refer to petrol as benzene.

Maybe it is what we know as "White Spirits" Dave, which I would have thought better than any sort of petrol.

Our unleaded in NZ, has "Zylene" in it as the octane booster or flame retardant. That stuff is a paint thinner !! and very volotile which is why the stuff goes off ThumbDown
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider