Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What models do you own and do you want more versio
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 240 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online Ian555  
#101 Posted : 15 May 2012 16:21:13(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

I'd better add, that this method of re-securing the BigBoy to it's base, involves you being able to use both hands at the same time, one hand to balance/locate the base over the edge of the table and then the other to position and tighten the screw.

So, that will be everyone using the "upside down" method then. LOL

No seriously, it is very easy to do and with no damage to the Loco, with it pressing against any foam etc, while upside down.

Ian.

Offline NZMarklinist  
#102 Posted : 15 May 2012 16:38:36(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glen,

The BigBoy is back in it's box and also in the excellent heavy cardbox box that Lokshop sent it in....is this Märklin supplied.

How I refit the BigBoy to it's wooden base......

This will sound a little risky, but actually works very well and is very easy to do, after a couple of times.

I do not turn the BigBoy up side down......

Position the spacers on the base and lift the BigBoy into it's position on the wooden base.

It sits there very well when in it's correct position, so I have the wooden base near to the edge of the table/workbase, slide the base over the edge and insert the first screw and tighten, slide it back onto the table, turn it round and do the same with the rear screw, now the BigBoy is located to the base you can lift it slightly by the base and insert the middle screw.

Then it's time to sit back in it's lovely wooden box.

Ian.

Hi Ian,
I'd thought about something similar yesterday when I had it on the Kitchen bench actually, thinking you could suspend it accross the corner to insert the middle screw. However away from home, particularly at a Train Show, that may not be so achievable as there probably won't be a bench handy Scared Wink
Yes that cardboard box with the polystyrene corner supports is Marklin supplied, same principal they use for the likes of your 31806 Set and Mega Starter Sets. Mine came in one of those boxes inside a bigger carton with other goodies from Lokshop Smile
I'll post some pics in Locos & Rolling stock, but I'm a bit behind there. Blushing
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline GTSE800  
#103 Posted : 16 May 2012 02:17:20(UTC)
GTSE800

Quote:
After fixing the screw back into place, it shouldn't come loose again. A Märklinist friend of mine has a theory in that maybe they need to loosen the screw at the factory in order to install something else on the loco, and then totally forget about tightening it back again. I think it's a very logical explanation to this enduring mystery. However, I will monitor my BB closely to see if the accursed screw comes loose again after some operation.

Best regards,
Armando García

Thanks for the reply
That could be the mystery, or it could be as simple as, the ones with a loose screw was made on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.

As for putting the Big Boy back on the base, I did it the way David mentioned in the 1st post of this thread, upside down on its foam packing, I thought it was quite simple.
Ian, your method sounds good also, just don't pull it to far over the edge
(That would be a sad day for sure)
GTSE800
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#104 Posted : 16 May 2012 03:20:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
How I refit the BigBoy to it's wooden base......

I carefully lay the BB in its foam cradle upside down (no problem if you're careful), line the brass spacers up then mount the base with the supplied screws. You need to make sure all of the wheels are lined up with the grooves in the base before you tighten the screws, otherwise you will cut yourself another set of grooves in unwanted places!

Edited by user 16 May 2012 07:04:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nevw  
#105 Posted : 16 May 2012 04:10:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
They are nice but I do not want one. Just too Big.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Online Ian555  
#106 Posted : 16 May 2012 07:02:15(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

I will also try the up side down method of securing the BigBoy to it's base.

Ian.

Offline TrainIride  
#107 Posted : 16 May 2012 08:50:37(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
They are nice but I do not want one. Just too Big.

Same as me.
I do love these models ThumpUp .
But they couldn't run on my layout Crying .
therefore, it's always a big pleasure to watch them on others layouts.

Regards
Joël

Online Ian555  
#108 Posted : 16 May 2012 09:57:04(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joël,

Yes, but a BigBoy would look real good sitting on those long lengths of tracks you have beside the layout. Wink ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline TrainIride  
#109 Posted : 16 May 2012 12:23:49(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi Joël,
Yes, but a BigBoy would look real good sitting on those long lengths of tracks you have beside the layout. Wink ThumpUp
Ian.

Hi Ian, why not, why not...
But don't tempt me to find one Smile .
First, Bigboy is not SNCF, I promised this year to focus on it to fit to my layout scenery...
Second, sure BigBoy will look great on my 3 meters long straight track - I've forgotten...
But Märklin models need to RUN and Bigboy needs to pull at least a hundred of boxcars
to strongly climb the Sherman Hill...
Third, if somebody gives me one I won't refuse her BigGrin

Regards
Joël
Offline NZMarklinist  
#110 Posted : 16 May 2012 17:01:04(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi All,
Thanks for the answers, I thought it was too large also, and I'm "modelling" German, with a touch of Swiss, and I also don't think it will work at all on my small layout, but it can run on the modules and I will probably buy some R9 C track curves, some 24360's and make up a carpet bahn for it. OhMyGod
However with the release of this new and unique version of the Big Boy, I thought it was too good an oportunity to miss, cause how many more versions can Marklin justify producing Unsure and they are allways so highly priced on ebay for a new previous version.
The beauty is in the size, and loose screws aside, in the technical aspects of the model. I intend to get something like, if not the same, as Ian's Train Safe display case for it with the rollers, in the fullness of time, and display it on the side board in the lounge. Smile
Sounds like the "upside down" method is the most popular for remounting on the base plate ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline NZMarklinist  
#111 Posted : 16 May 2012 17:03:36(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joël,
Ian.

Hi Ian, why not, why not...
But don't tempt me to find one Smile .
First, Bigboy is not SNCF, I promised this year to focus on it to fit to my layout scenery...
Second, sure BigBoy will look great on my 3 meters long straight track - I've forgotten...
But Märklin models need to RUN and Bigboy needs to pull at least a hundred of boxcars
to strongly climb the Sherman Hill...
Third, if somebody gives me one I won't refuse her BigGrin

Regards
Joël

Hi Joel,
Yes, why not is what I thought BigGrin

Thanks for the link to the great pic of 4017 on Sherman Hill ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

Online Ian555  
#112 Posted : 16 May 2012 17:08:08(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joël,

That is a great picture taken on Sherman Hill. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline kbvrod  
#113 Posted : 16 May 2012 19:40:34(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Slightly off-topic,.....Athearn has announced a Big Boy and Challenger.

See: http://www.athearn.com/Articles/Hobbywire.aspx

Dr D
Offline GTSE800  
#114 Posted : 16 May 2012 23:48:24(UTC)
GTSE800

I have to agree, it is quite big. When it runs past the euro trains, it almost looks like I have a Lionel train on a HO layout.
But it runs very, very smooth and quiet, Glad I bought one.

Over the past 6 months or so, I have been eliminating as small rad curves on my layout.
Have purchased quite a few of the R9's and I keep running out of them and most places are out of stock when I need them?
I did try it out on the 24130 r1 and the 24224 curves and it handled them pretty good.
But looks much better running the wide curves for sure......
GTSE800
Offline Armando  
#115 Posted : 18 May 2012 06:34:38(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello all,

First of all, I would like to thank David (Klarinettenmeister) again for opening this interesting and helpful thread, and for his kind assistance through the process of fixing the problem with the "mysterious" screw on my 37994. Also, many thanks to GTSE800.

I would like to share with you some of the pictures that I took of the loco entrails during the process, and some other information that I've been able to collect.

Because it is in my nature not to leave any stone unturned (I'm a scheduler by trade!), I wrote an email to both the Märklin Kundendienst in Germany and to kind Miss Brenda at Walthers. Miss Brenda was able to get the part number for me (the mysterious screw, which does not appear on the locomotive's part drawings). The part number is: E753000 (old number 753000), in case yours needs to be ordered. However neither Märklin.de nor Walthers technical departments (the former never answered and the latter got the part number for me) seemed to have a clue about why the screw was "found" rattling about in the box. The latter believed it was placed there by mistake, i.e., an "extra", bonus screw may have been put on the Lok. And then some! As it turns out, this screw holds in place the front carriage of the locomotive, which otherwise may shift apart while the cardan rod will get dislodge during the process and the front wheels will simply stop running on you. Lovely!

Some background information: from what I have been able to read, the issue with the "mystery" screw seems to date back to the early 37990 (34990) BB. I only learned about this screw when I found it rattling about in the box of my 37992. Since I had to send that loco back to the factory for getting the sound speaker repaired (which melted during the warranty period), I asked the then Ken Brzenk to also solve the problem with the screw. However, he never told me where the screw would go. I remember checking in vain the part drawings of my 37990 to try to find it. I still have to check now my 37990 and 37993 to see if the screw is to be found in the box, or if it is still sitting loose inside the loco. Conclusion: the screw is a recurring problem and, despite Märklin having sold at least six versions of BBs or so, it is still not shown in the part drawings! Cursing

My friend Eduardo, on this forum, has a theory: the nice, long-nailed ladies at the Märklin factory may need, for some technical reason, to loosen the screw, or not to screw it all the way in, during the assembly process of the chassis, and then totally forget to fasten it good on some of the BBs. It seems a logical theory to me, and I'm willing to endorse it.

Now, how come, after 13 years' or so of manufacturing BB, Märklin.de do not have a clue of why it is found loose in the box? Only the gods know. And why haven't they taken the pains to correct the drawings on this $900 Lok for us mortals to understand? I might never know. Maybe one of our honorable German-speaking members on this forum would like to convey this request -auf Deutsch- to Märklin.de. They might listen. (Maybe Herr Lutz is sneak-reading this post and he may follow suit.)

Here's what I did. The loco doesn't need to be fixed to its wooden base. I removed first the caps that hide the screws that hold the locomotive's upper body (boiler). The larger cap is a bit tricky. I carefully used an X-acto knife to pop loose the cap. In order to locate the hole where the screw goes, please look first at the following picture (courtesy of Klarinettenmeister):

Finding the right spot

There are two screws that need to be removed in order to lift the circuit card and get to the right spot. One of the screws is on top of the green card (to the right) and the other screw is on the left, right in the middle of the copper contacts for the smoke generators. Lift the card carefully in order not to disengage any of the soldered cables.

Once this is done, the spot can be found easily just below the cardan rod and white cup:

Right spot

You'll need plenty of light, a magnetized small flat screwdriver, and possibly a lamp with a magnifying glass (if you are like me). Once you've positioned the screw vertically in the hole by lifting it with the magnetized screwdriver (you may need to move the front carriage of the locomotive slightly back and forward for the screw to find its right way in), fasten the screw by means of the small screwdriver which you will have to insert sideways into the screw's slot and turn at 90 or 180 degrees at a time until you've completely fastened the screw. Be careful not to damage or dislodge the cardan rod from the white cup. Be patient!

Here's the screw finally fastened in place. Now you can put the boiler back on and fix the screws and caps.

Finally in place!

That should take care of it. Now I'm able to enjoy my 37994 exactly like it was meant to be.

Good luck!
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Armando
Online Ian555  
#116 Posted : 18 May 2012 07:53:15(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Armando,

Thanks for the excellent information on this problem. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline TrainIride  
#117 Posted : 18 May 2012 18:03:54(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi Ian & Glen,
Thanks for sharing your beatiful models !

I've tried and tried to upload the smallest possible wmv file
to show you a small BigBoy movie but even if the file was
really smaller than the 19531Kb accepted, there was still errors of size Blushing Blushing Blushing .

So hereafter, Just a few pics of the movie.
Sorry again.

Regards
Joël
TrainIride attached the following image(s):
bigbor_a.jpg
bigboy_b.jpg
bigboy_c.jpg
bigboy_d.jpg
bigboy_e.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline jerdenberg  
#118 Posted : 18 May 2012 21:49:33(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
My converted Trix Big Boy from the Magnum set would like a spot on the list too.

Here it is in action.

A topic about the conversion is elsewhere on the forum.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline foumaro  
#119 Posted : 19 May 2012 05:52:36(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
The 753000 screw is a very common spare part.You can see the booklets of 37490,39050,37030,39010,39011 etc.I lost the front screw of my 39050 after a long ride to a very large layout.When the ride finished i picked up the loco to put on the box and the frond boggie with the four little wheels staying on the trucks.Then it was difficult to find the screw in such a large layout and i bought five spare parts.I believe that is a necessary spare part because it is common to a lot of locos.BigGrin
Online Ian555  
#120 Posted : 20 May 2012 14:08:20(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joël,

Thanks for the photo's. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline john black  
#121 Posted : 22 May 2012 23:26:34(UTC)
john black

United States   
WOW - congratulations on your brand new beauties, Gentlemen !!! LaughCoolLoveThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Bryan  
#122 Posted : 23 May 2012 00:24:00(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

Another spare part number I cannot identify with the BB in parts list is a valve gear part.
It is a large wishbone black plastic piece and held on with three spiggots on the front side of the front valve gear only.
When running it is so easy for either of these two parts to come off.
I noticed in first shots of the BB X4006 in this topic they were missing, you can see the 3 holes where the part pushes on.
I would like to get a couple of spare ones right and left, however they are not listed in the parts diagram.

Cheers
Bryan
Offline klarinettmeister  
#123 Posted : 20 June 2012 11:39:27(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Another spare part number I cannot identify with the BB in parts list is a valve gear part.
It is a large wishbone black plastic piece and held on with three spiggots on the front side of the front valve gear only.
When running it is so easy for either of these two parts to come off.
I noticed in first shots of the BB X4006 in this topic they were missing, you can see the 3 holes where the part pushes on.
I would like to get a couple of spare ones right and left, however they are not listed in the parts diagram.

Cheers
Bryan

Hi Bryan!

Could you show what part on a picture? Have you looked for it on the exploded view?
Offline Baureihe 96, DK  
#124 Posted : 01 July 2012 12:21:31(UTC)
Baureihe 96, DK

Denmark   
Hi All

I am the happy owner of Big Boy 4006, 4012, 4013, 4015 and 4019. Thanks to this site i have just repaired one of my Big Boy`s, 4015. The screw inside the locomotive thats hold the front truck was missing. I have emailed to Mærklin about that but got no respond. The screw has sparepart number E753000, but is out of stock at Mærklin. I´ve got an ekstra screw to the top of the locomotive, there is 2 to hold the top, sparepart number is E785090, and that ekstra screw fit perfectly inside the locomotive to hold the front truck. Thanks to the fine fotos in this forum, it was realy easy to do this. I will remove this screw agin when the screw with sparepart number E753000 is in stock agin. About the wishbone black plastic piece, it sits on the valve gear. You need to buy the hole valve gear. Valve gear on the right side has sparepart number 216735. Valve gear on the left side has sparepart number 216749. BUT it cost a lot, 24,95 EUR. I have just done that only for that black wishbone plastic piece.
Sorry for my poor english.
Cheers
Michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Baureihe 96, DK
Online Ian555  
#125 Posted : 01 July 2012 12:43:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#126 Posted : 01 July 2012 13:09:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Armando, that was the same exact screw that was rattling around the box when I got my 37993 BB. I had to refit it the same way you did, as I was wondering why the BB kept derailing, and why the front cardan shaft kept coming out of the front gearbox. I would have thought Marklin should have got that sorted by now, but obviously not.

Offline Baureihe 96, DK  
#127 Posted : 01 July 2012 15:17:43(UTC)
Baureihe 96, DK

Denmark   
Hi Ian

Thank`s BigGrin

Michael
Offline NZMarklinist  
#128 Posted : 01 July 2012 16:13:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum and salutations for a fine Roster of Big Boys. Hope your modelling Green River Wyoming as a BTW, if so you'll need a large Train Room Wink

Thanks on behalf of all the forum's Big Boy owners for the part numbers ThumpUp

Your English is not too bad at all Smile

I just checked the Marklin Parts List and E753000 = SCHRAUBE-ZYL.ANS. 20 Stück But I see it's still not available.
Gee I'll have to be carefull when servicing my Klass 01's, or more correctly putting the smoke units in 39010 & 39013 that don't have them as yet Scared Wink as the front bogie has to be removed to get access to the front body screw OhMyGod
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline NZMarklinist  
#129 Posted : 01 July 2012 17:21:49(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum and salutations for a fine Roster of Big Boys. Hope your modelling Green River Wyoming as a BTW, if so you'll need a large Train Room Wink

Thanks on behalf of all the forum's Big Boy owners for the part numbers ThumpUp

Your English is not too bad at all Smile

I just checked the Marklin Parts List and E753000 = SCHRAUBE-ZYL.ANS. 20 Stück But I see it's still not available. I would not be suprised if it's the same cylindedr screw that holds the bogies on the Big Boy models but only comes as a complete Bogie (Truck) kit ThumbDown
Gee I'll have to be carefull when servicing my Klass 01's, and 05.003, or more correctly putting the smoke units in 39010 & 39013 that don't have them as yet Scared Wink as the front bogie has to be removed to get access to the front body screw OhMyGod

I just checked the Parts listings for 05.001 (37050) It has a different part number for the Front bogie screw #753540 which is showing as AVAILABLE ThumpUp
It could be different altogether, but it maybe, that it is just a bit shorter, and a better temporary replacement than the top body screw that Michael has used, to secure the front truck of his Big Boy. It is at least a cylinder screw and most likely a different length only.
In due corse I will check my 050.003 and 05.001 out, and compare the screws and report back in case somebody needs a new one urgently Wink

Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline Baureihe 96, DK  
#130 Posted : 02 July 2012 12:26:32(UTC)
Baureihe 96, DK

Denmark   
Hello Glen

Thanks, and thanks for an update and new information about Big Boy`s and their sparepart numbers, it looks like that wee all need information on problems with our Big Boy`s

Cheers

Michael
Offline NZMarklinist  
#131 Posted : 01 August 2012 17:37:36(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Baureihe 96, DK Go to Quoted Post
Hello Glen

Thanks, and thanks for an update and new information about Big Boy`s and their sparepart numbers, it looks like that wee all need information on problems with our Big Boy`s

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, I got my 37050 out the other day, just need to get the 39050 and compare the front truck screws which I'll do in the coming days. Whilst browsing my pics for another topic i found this one Razz

It is a 37990 being admired lustfully Love Wink by list member Rick (kariosls37) on the Palmerston North Club's layout at the Euro Mini Convention there last year at Easter Smile
NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
Marklin Big Boy on Palm Nth Clob Layout Euro Mini Convention Palmerston Nth Easter 2011 051 (4).jpg
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline steventrain  
#132 Posted : 30 September 2012 20:57:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
2012 item 37994 is sold out and no more production from marklin.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline NZMarklinist  
#133 Posted : 26 December 2012 16:29:35(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi All, Michael
Hope you all had a very merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year ThumpUp Wink BigGrin

Sorry, I haven't given much time to MRR or the forum over the last four months or so. However with some time over the holidays I was browsing ebay and found this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item35c1a5de95

I hope the link works for you all that need the screw. Eckert Engineering carry a lot of small Marklin Parts. There is a chart of the Shouldered screws and their dimensions and numbers on the listing. ThumpUp It's worth browsing their sit or doing a search for a particular part to amortise the postage. I have bought a few items from them over the years and the service and the item have been first class. The best thing is you can buy one screw not 20 ThumpUp

I'll still pull apart my '05 Loks, over the holidays when I get the chance just to compare the screws between models and their P/Ns and see if they are a solution. Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline jjpariscal14  
#134 Posted : 24 February 2014 22:02:51(UTC)
jjpariscal14

United States   
I need to replace my pickup shoe for my 29848 Big Boy. Any guidance on how to do it?
Offline steventrain  
#135 Posted : 24 February 2014 22:12:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jjpariscal14 Go to Quoted Post
I need to replace my pickup shoe for my 29848 Big Boy. Any guidance on how to do it?

See page 51 of Big boy manual if you already have it. Part number 206370.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline pdiamd  
#136 Posted : 23 March 2014 19:51:22(UTC)
pdiamd

United States   
Can anyone tell me about the motor in the 37994 Big Boy? Is it a 3 pole or 5 pole motor? So far I have not had any problem with the loose screw you have talked about. My locomotive runs fine without any noticeable difficulties.
Pat
CS2...MS2...Marklin Digital and Analog....Steam and Diesel Era III & IV...Insider Member
Favorites Br01, Br23, German and Swiss Crocodiles
Offline steventrain  
#137 Posted : 23 March 2014 21:43:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pdiamd Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me about the motor in the 37994 Big Boy? Is it a 3 pole or 5 pole motor? So far I have not had any problem with the loose screw you have talked about. My locomotive runs fine without any noticeable difficulties.

I watch some 37994 running on youtube and it is very good smooth running, Most Big Boy are 5 poles.
Offline grnwtrs  
#138 Posted : 23 March 2014 22:01:06(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

I'm sure glad you asked that question.
I also haven't run my 37994 Big boy,

Matter of fact I haven't run my 37990, or the 37995.

I bought a "rollenrufstand" last year and plan to put each on the
test track to see if they run as well as claimed.LOL

regards to all
gene

Edited by user 10 June 2014 19:37:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#139 Posted : 24 March 2014 01:45:30(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage
......... Note the new pick-up shoe which looks like it came from an old 3005. ...(...).... Why change something that´s good??

i]

The reason = Cost Reduction !
Mr Pluta has spearheaded a campaign to reduce costs: it is to him that we owe the generalization of 3-pole motors on Marklin models! (confirmed from good source in Göppingen)
Reduce, reduce, reduce again... until you cannot put the name "MARKLIN" on it : here was the limit not to be exceeded
in the poll You should have added a question: Would you buy a Big Boy with a 3-pole motor ?
(my answer : certainly not ! I cannot imagine such a nice model with poor motorization)

Edited by user 24 March 2014 12:20:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#140 Posted : 24 March 2014 08:00:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Can anyone tell me about the motor in the 37994 Big Boy? Is it a 3 pole or 5 pole motor?
I don't know how many poles there are.
Big Boys up to 37993 had coreless motors, Big Boys 37994 and later came with can motors.

My 37994 runs well. My 37993 runs better (smoother and more quiet).

If I should ever buy a third Big Boy, it will be one with a coreless motor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline borntman  
#141 Posted : 23 May 2014 16:11:44(UTC)
borntman

United States   
I don't have a Marklin Bigboy but I do have an O guage MTH rail king big boy. It isn't full scal but is still huge. As for it's pulling power lets just say it will pull a train longer then the amount of track I have.

Offline Moritz-BR365  
#142 Posted : 10 June 2014 08:11:52(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I don't know how many poles there are.
Big Boys up to 37993 had coreless motors, Big Boys 37994 and later came with can motors.

My 37994 runs well. My 37993 runs better (smoother and more quiet).

If I should ever buy a third Big Boy, it will be one with a coreless motor.

The new 37994 has afaik a 3-pole can motor.

I have a 37991 with bell shape armature motor in wooden box and in mint condition for sale:

UserPostedImage
Offline jungfalee  
#143 Posted : 17 June 2014 11:16:45(UTC)
jungfalee

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Hi All:
I have a Big Boy but I don't have the big layout, so I play my Big Boy by this way.

dynamic roller demo stand:
dynamic roller demo stand

roller test stand:
roller test stand

Two kind of roller stand made by RailStand, more detail & pictures & videos please visit www.trains.com.tw/railstand.asp
RailStand roller test stand and dynamic roller demo stand

Edited by user 20 March 2015 14:52:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jungfalee
Offline klarinettmeister  
#144 Posted : 06 September 2014 15:32:21(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Hi all!

It´s about time I change something in the poll. Can I edit the poll without resetting the answers?
I guess alot of poeple got the the newest 37995.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#145 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:10:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, I think you can David.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline steventrain  
#146 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:30:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi all!

It´s about time I change something in the poll. Can I edit the poll without resetting the answers?

I got it last year.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#147 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:57:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Added to the poll options.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline klarinettmeister  
#148 Posted : 07 September 2014 13:05:39(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Added to the poll options.

Thank you David! My 37995 is on the way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline foumaro  
#149 Posted : 02 October 2014 09:49:30(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I won an auction before a few days, so i add my self to the poll off the Big Boy owners.After reading all the above posts my choise was the 37993 version of the beast.It is impossible to run the locomotive to my layout because of the catenary system ,so i have to wait to run her to another bigger layout.Never mind,i think this loco is a must have for a USA trains collector if he can afford the price tag.I am huppy with my choise.BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#150 Posted : 02 October 2014 14:02:51(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I won an auction before a few days, so i add my self to the poll off the Big Boy owners.

What did You pay? I have a 37991 for sale!