Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2012 23:45:59(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All,

I thought I'd ask something I've never seen covered here: Like many others on this forum, I own some examples of special order/production items the dealer Schweiger in Nuremberg had Marklin produce over the years. While it is well known they sold many of these, some items seem to be well documented via the Kolls books (Northlander items, brown 3056 Swiss Crocodile) while others (3014- based TEE RE 4/4I) seem not to be at all.

Is there a good reference for these trains out there in print or on the internet? I'd love to learn more, but don't know where to go. Insight is appreciated!

Edited by user 09 May 2012 22:38:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline igf2  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2012 12:18:45(UTC)
igf2

Some of the items are listed in the Koll's special catalog.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2012 20:02:46(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: igf2 Go to Quoted Post
Some of the items are listed in the Koll's special catalog.

Thanks for the reply. I know about those, its the ones that aren't in the kolls I'm curious about Confused

Original post updated accordingly
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2012 07:55:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
AFAIR the Re 4/4I TEE based on the 3014 was made by the Swiss company Minirex. I do not know if Schweiger also made this model.
Other special items may have been adapted by Swiss dealers (EMAG, Roundhouse, SWIMO, etc) and there may also have been special items available only at Franz Carl Weber or Jelmoli (for example). I do not know if those models would be listed in Koll's book. Roundhouse.ch has a list of some models under Roundhouse Umbauten, a number of which were DC or Trix Express conversions of Maerklin models, but there were also some repaint and dressed up models (HRF lettering, etc)

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2012 22:38:04(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
AFAIR the Re 4/4I TEE based on the 3014 was made by the Swiss company Minirex. I do not know if Schweiger also made this model.
Other special items may have been adapted by Swiss dealers (EMAG, Roundhouse, SWIMO, etc) and there may also have been special items available only at Franz Carl Weber or Jelmoli (for example). I do not know if those models would be listed in Koll's book. Roundhouse.ch has a list of some models under Roundhouse Umbauten, a number of which were DC or Trix Express conversions of Maerklin models, but there were also some repaint and dressed up models (HRF lettering, etc)

Regards

Mike C

Mike, VERY interesting development on the 3014. I was sold mine as a Schweiger and it originated in a collection full of documented (aka in the Kolls book) Schweiger items. After close review it is for sure a factory job based on paint and lettering techniques (not sure if Minirex ordered them from Marklin?)

I'm renaming the thread for an open Schweiger discussion and education forum.

All, if you own or have images of Schweiger - Marklin Items, please add images and information here I'll try and snap some images for posting this weekend
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Soest  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2012 04:34:19(UTC)
Soest

I have four Schweiger box cars that I picked up in Nurnberg.

100 Jahre Eisenbahn Osterreich
500 Jahre Amerika (with apologies to the Norsemen who pre-dated them with the discovery of Newfoundland)

The other two seem to be advertising Schweiger itself.
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
Offline intruder  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2012 12:57:37(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I have only one:

UserPostedImage

Obviously not in it's original box:
UserPostedImage
46421 was a green tank car marked BfB.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Frankenbahner  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2012 13:49:45(UTC)
Frankenbahner

The repaints are one thing. These were versions or liveries not offered (for whatever reason) by the "big" firms themsevles. But Schweiger (and other big dealer back then) also did several conversion from DC and Trix Express to Märklin. Maybe these were the most demanded items back then, more important then the repaints: Roco was new on the market, their AC assortment was still small. Rivarossi had some AC stuff, Fleischmann only a hand full of AC locos. So you had more ore less to limit yourself on Märklin-products and a few others - or change to DC. On the other hand, Märklin had more or less necglected their "Hamo" DC programme. So, in those days, firms like Schweiger perfectly filled a market niche with their conversions.

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline Frankenbahner  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2012 14:02:40(UTC)
Frankenbahner

I just found an old add in a MIBA from September 1980, where Schweiger offered the following conversions:

DC to Märklin:

Roco BR 17
Roco E 91
Fleischmann BR 120
Trix E 05

Märklin to DC:

BR 120
BR 104
BR 74
BR 23
Re 4/4 I

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2012 18:47:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
There was just one of these on ebay- but I can't find it now: a 3048- base loco with a german flag imprinted on the tender with a bit of text. I"m guessing 1980's production
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2012 00:14:12(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
There was just one of these on ebay- but I can't find it now: a 3048- base loco with a german flag imprinted on the tender with a bit of text. I"m guessing 1980's production

Found it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item19d0c4e0ae
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2012 00:55:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   

Found it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item19d0c4e0ae

Hi,

That loco was based on the PRIMEX 3193, which was a 3048 renumbered "01 081" without smoke generator.

Regards

Markus
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2012 03:32:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
According to this topic, Schweiger did do an AC to DC conversion of the 3014 Re 4/4I. They may have also converted the Minirex TEE model to DC as well.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/R...3ecf42cc0#ht_5975wt_1156

http://www.zuba-tech.ch/ebay/798.jpg

If you look at this model, the box says printed by Baur Modelle Bad Waldsee Germany.
I have this model as an official Swiss Sondermodell by Roco Schweiz. The Roco CH model appears to have a little better quality paint job.

I used this model as an example because I concede that it is possible that Minirex may not have been the only company to make a TEE version of the 3014 Re 4/4I. It is the only one that I was aware of to this date.

Regards

Mike C
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 16 May 2012 04:14:32(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Looks like they be good examples to collect, if I was into more collection.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ian555  
#15 Posted : 16 May 2012 07:13:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

Great topic, I'd never heard of Schweiger before, but now I'm on the lookout.Smile

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#16 Posted : 16 May 2012 07:15:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
I have four Schweiger box cars that I picked up in Nurnberg.

100 Jahre Eisenbahn Osterreich
500 Jahre Amerika (with apologies to the Norsemen who pre-dated them with the discovery of Newfoundland)

The other two seem to be advertising Schweiger itself.

Hi all,

Can we have a photo of what those wagons look like.

Thanks.

Ian.

Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 16 May 2012 08:11:26(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

(snip)

I'm renaming the thread for an open Schweiger discussion and education forum.

All, if you own or have images of Schweiger - Marklin Items, please add images and information here I'll try and snap some images for posting this weekend

Hi all,

This may be a dumb suggestion but for those who have never tried, you can find all manner of interesting stuff from google simply by changing your search from the default 'everything' to 'images' from the options list down the left side

I searched on "Schweiger Marklin" and appear to have got plenty of hits which may help those who are interested.

A large number of the initial images are Mini-club so I just added "-z" to my search which has filtered out heaps of them, It also improved further after changing the domain to www.google.de - or just click this

Because I don't know quite what I'm looking for, I think someone who has a better idea of what was (or may have been) produced might make more sense of the results and know which images are relevant. Of course there's plenty that aren't but I did see a number of items which to me look like what is being discussed.

Hope this is helpful - if it's not, I'll just crawl back into my hole Blushing

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#18 Posted : 16 May 2012 18:37:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All,

Interesting notes.

I don't read German but this has something to do with the 3014:

http://www.stummiforum.d...opic.php?f=6&t=33889

I PROMISE I'll post those images soon!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 17 May 2012 01:51:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The post by Contrans mentions that Schweiger, Minirex and Ruco all had repainted TEE versions of the original Maerklin 3014. Some with the beige line underneath the red part and some without.
I don't think any of these models had the Pleitegeier <+> or the Swiss crest on the models. The posts also mention Ritter and surmise that some of the above may have been acting as agents for the others, so Schweiger may have been the German partner of Minirex or Ruco in a production of such a model.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#20 Posted : 17 May 2012 06:27:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The post by Contrans mentions that Schweiger, Minirex and Ruco all had repainted TEE versions of the original Maerklin 3014. Some with the beige line underneath the red part and some without.
I don't think any of these models had the Pleitegeier <+> or the Swiss crest on the models. The posts also mention Ritter and surmise that some of the above may have been acting as agents for the others, so Schweiger may have been the German partner of Minirex or Ruco in a production of such a model.

Regards

Mike C

Here are the images of my TEE 3014. A few notes:

- As can be seen, it came in a standard Marklin 3014 box, albeit a very late year box for this model
- On removal of the shell, it was clearly painted over a standard green 3014, although it is very well done. I will definitely bet it was dealer produced or Marklin sprayed on a series of shelf models. The job is too commercial to be home done, and a paint mask must have been used

I love it! Who knows who made it but its a keeper in my book ThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 17 May 2012 21:41:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The fact that you can see that the cable and inside roof have a little yellow paint on them is a giveaway that this was not done by Maerklin. Maerklin would have done the painting before the wiring and pantograph insulation was put in place. I can't tell from the photos who made the model, but it looks like the other ones that I have seen. I will try to locate some photos to see if I can find any differences and if other photos credit the creator of the model.

Regards

Mike C