Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2012 17:38:15(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Does anyone have an alternative for the Marklin spade connector things that connect to the connectors on the bottom of each piece of C track? Paying 5 dollars for 20 is crazy. It should be like 5 dollars for 100 or 50 dollars for 1000. I have been trying to find them on-line at places like Digi-Key but have been hamstrung. It is driving me crazy. I know I could just solder on, but that seems kind of sloppy to me. I searched the forums and could not find that anyone else posed this question. Thanks!
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2012 17:43:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Germany Retail price 4.69 euro (4.69 EUR - 6.20 USD) for pack of 20 but around 4 euro on ebay.

Also Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2012 18:38:21(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Hello there Steventrain. I guess I could have been Stephentrain had I been more clever. Thanks for the response, and I did check ebay.de and found people selling equivalent 1 Euro for 40 pieces. That is really good but I would have to pay postage from Europe. I was looking for a USA place to buy them at those kind of prices....
Offline intruder  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2012 19:05:55(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hello and welcome to this fantastic forum.

The cable shoes are rather standard products, often used by car workshops etc.
I found this German website http://www.kabelschuhe-shop.de/...khuelse-28x05::4684.html

Someone in USA must sell such things as well, I suppose.

I prefer to solder the wires myself.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by intruder
Offline Laxman  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2012 20:05:34(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Hello

I ran into a similar problem a couple of months age making a holiday layout. I actually needed the male end of the connector as I was using the c-track circuit track on an analog-signal controlled (but digital train control) layout and needed to disconnect the circuit track wires from the digital track return.

I searched high and low on websites but could not find the connectors in this small of a size (although I do remember finding one website I needed a minimum order of 1000).

Since I only needed the spade (male) I bought the smallest one they had at Radio Shack (can't remember the actual size) and trimmed each side about 1 mm or so with tin snips so it could slide onto the female connector. Worked well.

Since you need the female side this tip won't help, but if you do find a place to get them do please post.

I too thought it should be easy to find as these spade connectors are very common and it was just a matter of finding a big enough of a supplier that stocked this size. But no such luck. During my web search, I began to wonder if M has them specially made according to these dimensions as this particular size is certainly not standard nor easy to find!

Good Luck

Regards

Laxman

Edited by user 22 January 2014 19:56:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2012 20:29:18(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Hello Svein/Intruder,

I went ahead and got 1000 pieces from the site you quoted for €47.50 EUR including shipping ($64.37).
They took PayPal so I was able to pay right away. That is 6.4 cents each rather than the Marklin price of 27.2 cents each - without shipping!!! Quite a big savings! Thank you for your help as I was at quite a standstill.

Thanks again for your help,
Steve
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2012 01:44:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: SCWHIPPLE Go to Quoted Post
Hello Svein/Intruder,

I went ahead and got 1000 pieces from the site you quoted for €47.50 EUR including shipping ($64.37).
They took PayPal so I was able to pay right away. That is 6.4 cents each rather than the Marklin price of 27.2 cents each - without shipping!!! Quite a big savings! Thank you for your help as I was at quite a standstill.

Thanks again for your help,
Steve

This comment has been hijacked by Winston Smith on behalf of the Ministry of Truth and therefore it never happened.

Problem solved!!

Confused Confused Confused Confused

Still definitely a huge improvement on the original price of twenty five cents each you would have had to pay at $5 for 20 (4 per dollar)

If it's any consolation, when I was told as a child to go do my homework, I preferred to play with the trains instead, and Maths/Arithmetic has never been even close to my strong-point. When the fingers and toes ran out, I was pretty much stuffed.

Hope that makes you feel ever better !! BigGrin

Steve Cook (actually "Stephen' but who's counting) - just call me 'cookee'
Melbourne

Edited by user 30 January 2012 12:50:34(UTC)  | Reason: Ambiguity - and because I can

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline GSRR  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2012 02:52:24(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Steve,

Welcome to the forum, and as you see a great resource and a quick response from Intruder. I faced the same issue and I believe I got more of these from Radio Shack, can't recall the part number.

Just ignore the boys from down under, we get the price. Beware there is someone lurking about who blames America for all that is bad in American English and the definition of a Billion....BigGrin

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2012 03:07:59(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Steve Cook,

As you can see, I have always been terrible at mathematics - or is it arithmetic?. Terrible at pretty much everything actually - breathing being the most difficult. I am glad you caught my error and let everyone else know. If it weren't for maths literate people like you the world would fall to bits I am sure. Please keep us on the straight and level!!!
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 30 January 2012 04:12:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Steve Cook,

As you can see, I have always been terrible at mathematics - or is it arithmetic?. Terrible at pretty much everything actually - breathing being the most difficult. I am glad you caught my error and let everyone else know. If it weren't for maths literate people like you the world would fall to bits I am sure. Please keep us on the straight and level!!!

My post wasn't intended to embarrass you, I am sorry.

Sometimes the newcomers misinterpret the humour here, therefore my humble apologies. I actually had to double-check my own maths to make sure I wasn't doing you a dis-service.

Regards

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline sudibarba  
#11 Posted : 30 January 2012 04:34:09(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I'm missing something. What are you going to do with 1000 pieces?
Eri
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2012 05:53:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
Eri

divide them into 1000 LOL

Welcome to the forum,

Laxmann

off topic

I'm the one who asks questions when the answer is impossible to guesss.

What is a holiday layout, do you put a loco or carriage or track onto your fishing hook ?

do pack it into a suitcase ?

Do you ship it overseas ?

do you take it along when site seeing

do you take photos of it when traveling to different towns and cities and tell people I've been there and everywhere.

Do you errect a tent for it ?

When booking into a hotel room do you book an extra room ?

is this when you leave your wife at home and take the kids and pet animals ?

is it when you go on a boring holidays ?

are you part of a youth camp holiday ?

in case it rains or snows ?

and I thought Americans call it a vacation layout ?

have they turned the power off at your home and you tell people you are going on a layout holiday ?

Do you mean it is an exhibition layout and you take it along while on holidays ?

are you using it for transport purposes to get the meat from the tent to the BBQ ?

are you using it as shooting target ?

or are you teaching native animals howe to play with trains ?

I'm sure you've got the right and simple answer for this.

Just curious and my 2 cents x 1000LOL, its just a cheap joke

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline sudibarba  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2012 06:29:52(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
After John's reply I am not sure about anything.
Eriv
Offline TrainIride  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2012 09:30:39(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Does anyone have an alternative for the Marklin spade connector things that connect to the connectors on the bottom of each piece of C track? Paying 5 dollars for 20 is crazy. It should be like 5 dollars for 100 or 50 dollars for 1000. I have been trying to find them on-line at places like Digi-Key but have been hamstrung. It is driving me crazy. I know I could just solder on, but that seems kind of sloppy to me. I searched the forums and could not find that anyone else posed this question. Thanks!

Hi SCWHIPPLE,

Welcome to the forum.
For me, I solder wires directly on them.
That's what I've done everywhere on C-tracks and M-tracks.
And I never had any troubles.
Of course, with C-tracks, you have to take care not to melt the plastic...
Regards
Joël

Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 30 January 2012 10:25:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
6.4c each would be $640 at that price.... ie;
10 of them would have cost you $6.40
100 $64.00
1000 $640.00
I thought if 1 is 6.4c then 10 will be $0.64, 100 will be $6.40, 1000 will be $64.00.
It's like that with Deutschmark and Pfennig or with Euro and Cent ...

Looks as if he paid 6,437 Cents for 1,000 pieces - or 6.437 Cents (or $0.06437) for each.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 30 January 2012 11:44:48(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
100 $64.00
1000 $640.00
I thought if 1 is 6.4c then 10 will be $0.64, 100 will be $6.40, 1000 will be $64.00.

Looks as if he paid 6,437 Cents for 1,000 pieces - or 6.437 Cents (or $0.06437) for each.

Tom, you are exactly right. These kiwis make this mistake in rugby, that's why they always win. LOL LOL

Regards Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2012 12:38:28(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
100 $64.00
1000 $640.00

Tom, you are exactly right. These kiwis make this mistake in rugby, that's why they always win. LOL LOL

Regards Greg

Damn, I was hoping to sneak that one by. I should have put it under the quiz section ????????????

Hard to get one past you's clever Ozzies aye?

It seems I have over-made my point, and am now firmly hoisted by my own petard.

As for the Rugby, shhhh, don't tell anyone else, perhaps we can get away with it a bit longer.......

BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline intruder  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2012 17:25:46(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Is this now un-authorised C-track connector?

Who is in charge of the authorised ones? Not me!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline dntower85  
#19 Posted : 30 January 2012 18:24:49(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
http://www.radioshack.co...x.jsp?productId=12529264

This might be the connector that would fit. Its the smallest that I found.

The one good thing about making them your self is that there was a batch of marklin wires that I got that the red and brown wires were not red and brown, but all brown with a marginal red almost brown stripe down the side of one wire.

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline mrmarklin  
#20 Posted : 31 January 2012 00:18:28(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
Eri

Kind of like using an elephant gun to kill a mouse.Confused

Dave Pryor

PS I solder all track connections because i don't like any mechanical connections between the power source and the track. Bad enough are the connections at the CS or the connector boxes.........Drool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#21 Posted : 31 January 2012 02:31:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I'm with Dave- solder all the way. Better connection and it won't slip off!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Laxman  
#22 Posted : 31 January 2012 06:13:17(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Quote:
I'm the one who asks questions when the answer is impossible to guesss.

What is a holiday layout,

John

Very Good. You made me laugh out loud when I read your post!LOL
Glad you asked, though.

Around the holidays -Thanksgiving through the New Year (although many retailers begin in October now!!)- Many people in America put up a display to celebrate the festive spirit of the season. These displays range from a simple train track loop around the Christmas Tree or a few Dicken's houses on the dinning room side board to very large and elaborate displays in malls or firehouses.

This year we put one up. Attached is a picture.

The bottom is an old o-gauge lionel with the larger size christmas village houses. The top level is C-track with a shadow station in the mountain and 4 trains running automatically.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It is designed to be temporary so it would not actually travel well, and packing it up will be a pain.

And as you can see it in fact does have its own room so to speak.

Its holiday of displaying will of course be coming to a quick end very shortly (once I muster up the courage to pack it into its own special suitcases of cardboard naturally).

While not intended to actually teach them how to play with trains, our hope is that the natives (we actually call them children here in America) will be entertained and may persuade the parents to dig out their old trains.

I will have to remember if I sell anything on the forum to list the price in cents!!

Laxman

Edited by user 22 January 2014 20:00:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Loadmaster  
#23 Posted : 31 January 2012 07:03:40(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Hello Dole,

How about a video of the trains running posted on U Tube.
Or here in the form.

And Steve, Welcome to the form, there is a member here fromthe D.C. area.

Rob
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline nelson77  
#24 Posted : 01 February 2012 21:33:00(UTC)
nelson77

Hello Scwhipple,
There is a ETE Chapter up in Lancaster,Pa. At the last meeting I noticed they have a lot of different type of connectors that they use in making their layout. If you need information where they get their supplies let me know. There are a few of us from Maryland that belong to the Keystone Chapter. By the way I always solder my connections. I have had the spade connectors come off before. If you need any info let me know and I will forward you the phone numbers.
Nelson77
Westminster, Maryland
Offline Nielsenr  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2012 03:22:56(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hi Schwipple,

I have been out of town on a cruise and I just saw this post. I found something from TE Connectivity's line of connectors at Newark Electronics last summer. The one that probably matches it the best was not available but I found one slightly longer that works perfectly. It is TE Connectivity item number 42067-1.

Here is a link to the Newark page:

http://www.newark.com/te-connec...n/dp/01H9221?Ntt=42067-1

When I first bought them, I caught a sale at $.04 each, better than the 20 for $5.00 or more ($0.25 each) and bought 300. I then bought another 300 at the current price $0.049 each. I crimp them and then solder the wire in the crimp joint. Works fine.

Robert
Offline Loadmaster  
#26 Posted : 02 February 2012 04:27:39(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Welcome back Robert
How was the cruise, you made it back in one piece.

Rob
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline Nielsenr  
#27 Posted : 02 February 2012 06:20:32(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hey Rob,

The cruise was great!! Cozumel will never be the same!! LOL!! I did manage to get quite a good sinus cold on the last day but better than one poor lady who fell down some stairs early in the morning on the last day of the cruise, hit her head and died an hour later ...

All that having been said ... a lot of fun!!

Robert
Offline witzlerh  
#28 Posted : 08 March 2012 21:25:22(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
It appears that the exact equivalent part number is the TE connectivity 42067-1. It is available in North America at DigiKey under PN A277745CT-ND.

I am going to get a bunch as I see my self with semi-permanent layouts for the next while. I also work on maintaining other peoples layouts and work on the club layout that we set up 2-4 times a year.

Although soldering is indeed the best way, in my case I like the freedom these little guys give me to maintain stuff and move stuff around. Nothing like switching out a troublesome switch in a couple of minutes during a train show!

I fortunately know a couple of electronics guys who routinely order from Digikey and will tag on this order to save on shipping.

I have some insulated spade connectors that are similar in size but they just barely fit under the track. I have the mating blades and have made adaptors for testing switches and other stuff that is designed to fit in the C-track.

We are blessed to have such a wonderful track system that has all these connections and can hid the wire. I have seen a few carpet bahns with wire everywhere and easily pulled!
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Nielsenr  
#29 Posted : 08 March 2012 21:40:33(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Harold,

I gave that part # in post #25 above. It is actually just a little longer than the Marklin one, but still fits nicely. The one that I believe is the exact length is not carried in stock by anyone that I could find. It is slightly less expensive in smaller quantities at Newark. I but from Newark, Digi-Key, and Mouser a lot and there is no problem placing small orders to hobbyists. For certain items, I also buy from Jameco who are really directed at the hobby market.

Good luck with them!!

Robert
Offline witzlerh  
#30 Posted : 08 March 2012 22:58:07(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Yes I should have given credit where credit is due. Thanks for saving me a lot of work by the way.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline kbvrod  
#31 Posted : 08 March 2012 23:44:39(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
If one is going to fiddle with track then use the connectors.
If not,learn to solder,.....not that hard and the burns will heal,.....!LOL

Dr D
Offline Shintaro  
#32 Posted : 18 March 2012 10:02:45(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
I have 28 of connectors similar to the 74995 to goto a good home FOC.
They are Duratech brand and bought from "JayCar Electronics" here in Campbelltown.

I only ask for postage cost, and if postage to Sydney, it'll be nothing.