Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GG1 Fan  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2011 04:22:41(UTC)
GG1 Fan

I was thumbing through an old book today to show my son pictures of 'his' Marklin trains in action. As you can guess, my father and I threw out nothing from the RR Modeling days. :)

Anyway, in looking for pictures of the Zeppelin train, I came across these rather cool pictures. Some of the layouts I have seen on this forum could have been modeled after these pictures.

Enjoy:

I've seen something close to this in a photo of a layout.
UserPostedImage

TEE...anyone?
UserPostedImage

Steam, a classic DB loco, signals and a staion....what's not to like?
UserPostedImage

A bridge, every layout should have a bridge :)
UserPostedImage

Now that we have had our fun, and run the trains, one must always remember to oil up the locos after use.
UserPostedImage

(There was a simple dignity and elegance to those classic steam engine of that time not 'so' long ago.)

Regards,
Paul
Offline Lollo  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2011 10:18:23(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Any chance of a shot of the cover. Do you know if it has an ISBN number.
It seems quite hard to get good books on the DB railway.

Regards,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2011 10:33:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Brian, we have a few books on the DB in our club library. All in German of course, but if you guys are ever visiting again, you're welcome to have a look at them.

I can check the ISBN for you, but it may be a while, as the books are all packed up at the moment for our clubrooms move.
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2011 10:49:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2011 23:49:02(UTC)
GG1 Fan

The book is called, "Great Trains from Around the World".

It has a section on the German railway and some pictures of the DB in other places.

I'll have the ISBN number for you tomorrow.

Regards,
Paul
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2011 02:11:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Great websites, Steven. Thanks so much! Cheers,PeterSmile
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2011 08:39:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks, Peter.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2011 04:59:22(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Name and ISBN of the books:

"Great Trains of the World" by Patrick B. Whitehouse. ISBN: 0 600 34000 7 (1975)

"Trains Around The World" by Octopus Books. ISBN: 0 7064 0078 X (1973)
Offline GG1 Fan  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2011 05:25:04(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Rheingold Express doing a recreation run in 1971.

I really like this picture. (Silly me, till now, I always put the bagage car at the end of the consist.)

UserPostedImage
Offline GG1 Fan  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2011 05:27:01(UTC)
GG1 Fan

For some reason, this picture did not show up well in the post. The one in jpeg on my computer looks much better. If you really want it, just email me and I will send it in jpeg format.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2011 21:20:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GG1 Fan Go to Quoted Post
Silly me, till now, I always put the bagage car at the end of the consist.

In the '20s and early '30s (until early 1934) there had to be a baggage car between loco and coaches (and Rheingold had 2 baggage cars because it had several terminus stations on its route). This changed in '34 and Rheingold only needed 1 baggage car (sometimes at the end, sometimes behind the loco).

Märklin Rheingold sets reflect that (sets with one baggage car have red rear lights at the baggage car) - but sometimes with incorrect revision dates on the coaches (the 41928 set is dated as 1928, but includes only one baggage car).

Edited by user 02 November 2011 22:08:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline GG1 Fan  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2011 22:03:35(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Thanks Tom,
As this was a 1970's 'fantasy' excursion for the Rhiengold, I guess it makes sense that they would have only one baggage car and put it right behind the loco (less noise for the passengers).

Also, Lima and Lillyput make the baggage car too. :)
Offline Breitenfurt  
#13 Posted : 20 February 2011 17:44:15(UTC)
Breitenfurt

I was over in Germany some time about 1967 and was given a whole load of DB photos by one of the managers. I will see if I can find them. So here is a teaser - Rangierbahnhof Nurnberg.

All the best,
Chris.

PS. If quoting this message, please DELETE the photo from your response. Nothing worse than seeing images time and time again.

[Later - Image attached instead of relying on my server. See Juhan's and Bigdaddy's posts below.]

Edited by user 21 February 2011 22:34:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added PS.Attached file.

Breitenfurt attached the following image(s):
RangierbahnhofNurnberg-HBerdreIIIa145.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Breitenfurt
Offline Elukka  
#14 Posted : 20 February 2011 17:59:07(UTC)
Elukka

Ooh, yes please! That's exactly the sort of pictures I'd need for layout building reference.
Offline hennabm  
#15 Posted : 20 February 2011 18:01:06(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
+1 Yes please
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline GG1 Fan  
#16 Posted : 20 February 2011 22:45:14(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Seems that the folks here really like pictures :) BigGrin BigGrin
I second, or third the motion for more pictures of the DB
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 21 February 2011 06:32:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Breitenfurt Go to Quoted Post
I was over in Germany some time about 1967 and was given a whole load of DB photos by one of the managers. I will see if I can find them. I've loads of space on my server so should be no problem uploading them. So here is a teaser - Rangierbahnhof Nurnberg.

All the best,
Chris.

PS. If quoting this message, please DELETE the photo from your response. Nothing worse than seeing images time and time again.

Thanks Chris.

I don't think I have seen a rail yard anywhere in Australia on that scale (size).

In photos of Russia, USA it is the same. Massive!
I guess it is relative to the size of the economy.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#18 Posted : 21 February 2011 08:47:46(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
This is another great site fot photo's

http://www.eisenbahnstiftung.de/bg/?action=galery

John
Offline Breitenfurt  
#19 Posted : 21 February 2011 08:59:42(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hello again. Thanks for all the comments after my previous posting.

The next picture is of BR44 174 near Bahnhof Eichenberg (a little south of Göttingen) with a long train (and no rubber tyres to help with adhesion).

UserPostedImage

I have a question. Rather that posting the images here, which will slow down page loading as the page grows, would you prefer that I just post a link to the image on my server. Alternatively, what does "Attach files to this post" do? Would that help.

Incidentally, I am happy to forward a full size file if one is required. Depends, though, on demand – too many and I will have to withdraw the offer.

With best wishes,
Chris.

PS. If quoting this message, please DELETE the photo from your response. Nothing worse than seeing images time and time again, especially if you have a slow connection like I do.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 21 February 2011 09:13:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Attaching the files will put the photos into the thread. Probably best to post a link, that way folks can browse at their leisure. Thanks for the offer, I'm sure folks will love them and thank you for posting.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 21 February 2011 09:15:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GG1 Fan Go to Quoted Post
Märklin Rheingold sets reflect that (sets with one baggage car have red rear lights at the baggage car).

In regards to the Marklin 41928 Rheingold set, Brawa are making a matching 2nd baggage car to go with the 41928 set. It's a new item for 2011, although they did issue a similar car in 2009.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 21 February 2011 10:02:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
....I have a question. Rather that posting the images here, which will slow down page loading as the page grows, would you prefer that I just post a link to the image on my server. Alternatively, what does "Attach files to this post" do? Would that help....

PS. If quoting this message, please DELETE the photo from your response. Nothing worse than seeing images time and time again, especially if you have a slow connection like I do.

Hi Chris,

If you already have them showing on your site, you could show us a directory link.
Alternatively, I like the idea of posting them here, maybe on a regular basis, as not all visitors/members will notice it the first time.
When you post regularly, example once a month (maybe a few photos each time in this topic), different visitors and members will notice them.
The numbers who will appreciate them and use them will be more widespread.

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with your appeal to DELETE images in quoted posts.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 21 February 2011 10:33:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with your appeal to DELETE images in quoted posts.

Agreed!

I sometimes do edit people's posts, to remove the duplicated links, if I don't think there is any relevance in having the picture quoted.

But it is good if people get into the habit of thinking about how their posts can affect others with slow connections, and structure their posts accordingly.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#24 Posted : 21 February 2011 17:26:33(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks Guys.

At the moment, the only links to the images are on this topic. I may, in the future, create a page on my site but if I did that, I would use thumbnails on the page and the linked image would be larger, which could cause problems to occur here. At the moment I have a few scanned photos on my pc and they will keep me going until I find the rest. Many that I have may not be of much interest so will be left out.

No-one answered my question re attaching files. Anyone explain?

Best wishes,
Chris.

P.S. I'm back to not being advised when there are replies so apologies if I am tardy with replying.
Offline Elukka  
#25 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:04:31(UTC)
Elukka

Attaching a file means it's hosted on the forums' server rather than your server.

Would it be possible to give a link to the image directory on your server even if you were not to make a proper page for it?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:19:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No-one answered my question re attaching files.

Yes, I did....(at least I thought I did).

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Attaching the files will put the photos into the thread.
Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:28:12(UTC)
Webmaster

Chris, there is a "new" option to attach files to your posts. If the images are less than 500Kb in size, they will be shown as 640x480px pics in the forum - and when clicked, shown in a bigger window. If you upload more than one pic in the same post, the pics will be shown with navigation between them so onlookers can have a manual slideshow of the pics in the post.

There are 2 options to attach pics to a post the "new" way, either you check the "attach files to this post" during the initial message composing, or you press the "Attach" button to upload pics to your post afterwards. All pics attached to a post will be shown in a "slideshow", even if attached to the post after the initial post.

This is a "new" feature of the forum software, and some users are using it with great success...

So there are actually 3 ways of doing it...

1 - Place an image link to your own site, or a photo site (will be shown in full size in the forum)
2 - Upload a pic to this site using the "old way" and let it be the host of your pic (actually same as 1, but pic resides here).
3 - Use the forum "Attach" facility, pic(s) will be shown in the forum in 640x480 + pics can be shown as a slide show with a bigger size when clicked.

Hope this can be of some assistance, PM me with questions if it's unclear...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Breitenfurt  
#28 Posted : 21 February 2011 23:56:31(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thank you Juhan and David.

I think I understand now. Not quite sure about 2 but I have used it in teh past (I think). I have edited one of my posts above using 3 and it looks good. That means that I can post half size images instead of 40% scaled ones.

Well, that's me for tonight I think. It's 2255 so will listen to the news and then off to bed. :o)

Best wishes from the island,
Chris.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#29 Posted : 24 March 2011 12:24:11(UTC)
Breitenfurt

One for the diesel railcars. I know nothing of these beasts so if you spot errors, or can help with the last one, please let me know.

1. Gliedertriebzug (Senator) auf der Hochbrucke bei Rendsburg.
2. Abfahrt des Gliedertriebzug aus Athen und der griechitchen Flagge (I think)
3. Gliedertriebzug der DB "Komet" alsSonderzug des Herrn Bundesprasidenten auf
seinem Staatsbesuch in Griechonland – im Bahnhof Chalkis
4. Unknown (with, 5, text from back of photo)

All the best,
Chris.
Breitenfurt attached the following image(s):
Gliedertriebzug_-Senator-_auf_der_Hochbrucke_bei_Rendsburg.jpg
Abfahrt_des_Gliedertriebzug_aus_Athen_und_der_griechitchen_Flagge.jpg
Gliedertriebzug_der_DB_-Komet-_alsSonderzug_des_Herrn_Bundesprasidenten_auf_seinem_Staatsbesuch_in_Griechonland-im_Bahnhof_Chalkis.jpg
Not_known_1.jpg
Not_known_1_text.jpg
Offline GG1 Fan  
#30 Posted : 25 March 2011 00:35:13(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Very outstanding pictures.

Looks like I can just about climb aboard today and take a ride.

I'd almost call this design the forerunner of the ICE with that engineer cab position and the stramlining of the design.

Thanks for posting

Paul
Offline Breitenfurt  
#31 Posted : 02 November 2011 22:28:10(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Weird! I just received (15 mins ago) a notification of an update to this topic that read:

"There's a new post in topic "Old Pictures of the DB" at marklin-users.net forum:

"By H0:
""Silly me, till now, I always put the bagage car at the end of the consist. In the '20s and early '30s (until early 1934) there had to be a baggage car between..."

"To read more, click or copy and paste the following link into your browser:

" https://www.marklin-user...f-the-DB.aspx#post272607 "

But that was posted on 3rd February 2011/ What IS going on?

Best wishes,
Chris.

PS. I WILL post some more photos, I just forgot all about it.
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 02 November 2011 22:50:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
When you do google search you will be amazed how many round houses are still existing although most of them are out of action.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode